Author Topic: Bikers.  (Read 10973 times)

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
Bikers.
« on: June 11, 2008, 05:54:52 PM »
On my way down to the Hill Country three weeks ago, I came upon two different strings of bikers.  Both about 14 bikes in the line.  They consistently rode about 5 mph under, and would widen up to take up both lanes when the road would open up for passing lanes.  I can understand that they would want to be in the left lane to allow more opportunities for evasive maneuvers, but there was almost a fight when one of my less patient four-wheeled compatriots passed me on the right and got about halfway through the second string before the lane ended.

What are the etiquette rules involved here?  Where is it appropriate to pass?
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

nico

• friend
Re: Bikers.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 06:01:11 PM »
How could there have been a fight?  He was in a car and they were riding bikes, which can be knocked off balance a lot easier, than a car laugh

I don't go out of my way to piss off anybody on the road, but I refuse to be intimidated by some jerk who's vehicle weighs a fraction of mine because he thinks he owns the road.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 06:02:55 PM »
pagans still up arouind laurel much? or they all in jail?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 06:06:36 PM »
How could there have been a fight?  He was in a car and they were riding bikes, which can be knocked off balance a lot easier, than a car laugh

I don't go out of my way to piss off anybody on the road, but I refuse to be intimidated by some jerk who's vehicle weighs a fraction of mine because he thinks he owns the road.
He was stuck in amongst them for about 15 miles.  First stoplight they hit, the expressed their displeasure.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

nico

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 06:08:10 PM »
pagans?  Ok, clue me in. . .

I was mainly thinking of a situation my dad had in college.  He was a part of a car club that participated in autocrosses and often went out to dinner afterwards (think ~10 cars).  One time, a few guys on bikes thought they'd screw with one of the female members by forcing her onto the shoulder.  My dad and a couple other guys showed the bikers that it works both ways (and bikes don't always do very well on gravel).

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 06:39:43 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

nico

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 06:46:11 PM »
honestly, I'm 25 and have lived here for my whole life, and I've never heard of them. 

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 08:43:53 PM »
As a general rule, don't cut into a string of bikes. That said: they should've slowed a bit to allow others to pass, if they didn't want to go the speed limit...

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 06:49:33 AM »
Per the story, they were going plenty slow enough to be passed, the problem was that they occupied the passing lane as well when available.

That I have an issue with.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 07:04:14 AM »
We have a local group of yuppie bikers that pull that crap all the time. They ride side by side, not staggered, take up both lanes, speed up and slow down, etc.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 07:10:55 AM »
I've not seen any inconsiderate highway bikers here.

Just the morons with the 110+dB pipes that rev through downtown right past sidewalk cafes on purpose. They're so loud they actually hurt your ears and make them ring. angry

I think the police are finally cracking down, though.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 07:15:20 AM »
I've not seen any inconsiderate highway bikers here.

Just the morons with the 110+dB pipes that rev through downtown right past sidewalk cafes on purpose. They're so loud they actually hurt your ears and make them ring. angry

I think the police are finally cracking down, though.

I gotta wonder what the appeal is of that? "Hey look at me, I'm going deaf!" I just don't get it. They are very annoying, tho Maned.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 07:19:39 AM »
I gotta wonder what the appeal is of that? "Hey look at me, I'm going deaf!" I just don't get it. They are very annoying, tho Maned.

I've seen them wearing ear plugs.  Yep, riding a bike with custom 'loudeners' and the driver's wearing shades and earplugs, no helmet.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 07:35:22 AM »
This weekend Austin is going to "host" the annual Republic of Texas biker rally. Hmmmm . . . triple digit temperatures and black leathers . . . what a combination!  grin

Basically it means a bunch of motorcyclists with loud bikes will cruise around Austin and the surrounding area, get drunk, a few will get splattered on the road, and then leave. No big deal for most folks, happens every year.

Of course, they always talk about how much money this brings into the area, benefitting everyone in town . . . they keep repeating this, but never tell me where I should go to get my share.

(Some bar selling more beer does me about as much good as Bill Gates selling more copies of Windows Vista.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 07:39:40 AM »
One time I was trying to get gas for my truck at a little country station.  A biker rally was going through and they just kept passing the hose one to another while I waited and waited and waited ...  angry

So I got out my 2' pipe and started checking the load chain binders  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 07:50:55 AM »
They do that crap around here also. Driving under the speed limit, hog both lanes every time the road goes to two, lug the gears to make it make even more noise. Just about anything they can do to be annoying.
I came real close to love tapping a few of them a couple of months ago. After about 10 miles of 30 in a 50 I started to show my displeasure. I got closer and closer, I figured they would take the hint. Oh no one guy in his wisdom decides to brake check my f250. Let me say that I didn't even touch my brakes. He took of like a bandit when he saw that I wasn't going to play his game.

And yes I have ridden a bike in the past. So no sob story's about how I don't know how it is on a bike.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 07:55:26 AM »
Is the original poster referring to motorcyclists or bicyclists?  It sounds more like motocyclists than bicyclists on a group ride or race.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 08:12:18 AM »
Motorcyclists.

Some people are tools, no matter what they ride/drive. I think they get off on the sense of empowerment that they get from making a nuisance of them selves. Besides, everybody knows that Harleys so slow they can't hardly get out of their own way.  grin

nico

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 08:16:54 AM »
Harley Davidson - converting large amounts of gas into large amounts of noise since 1903tm

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 08:47:08 AM »
I have straight pipes on my Harley.

It's kept blue-hairs away from me on several occasions, and that's just fine with me, since they can't be bothered to normally look when making lane changes into my lane...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 08:56:52 AM »
I have to admit, I have NEVER seen a group just out for a ride act the way you describe. Of course around here, they're more likely to run you over than slow you down...

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 09:05:01 AM »
Is the original poster referring to motorcyclists or bicyclists?  It sounds more like motocyclists than bicyclists on a group ride or race.
Motorcyclists.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 09:19:21 AM »
On the subject of loud pipes.
I have a co-worker friend who has other friends that all ride rice.To a man they all whine that the Harley riders can get away w/straight pipes & they get hassled over their "performance" mufflers.
 smiley

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 09:22:46 AM »
On the subject of loud pipes.
I have a co-worker friend who has other friends that all ride rice.To a man they all whine that the Harley riders can get away w/straight pipes & they get hassled over their "performance" mufflers.
 smiley

Well, there's a double standard, yes. To say nothing of the fact that glasspack mufflers on cars are banned where ear-damaging bikes are allowed.

The ones that annoy me seem to make a habit of deliberately gunning it in on quiet residential streets or downtown in front of outside restaurants, like children banging on a pot for attention. It ruins meals, causes babies to scream in terror, is loud enough to make your ears ring, and is just a nuisance all around. There's absolutely no reason for it at all.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 09:26:55 AM »
Don't forget, it causes horses to rear up and panic, too.   rolleyes
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"