Author Topic: Bikers.  (Read 10975 times)

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
Re: Bikers.
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 09:32:53 AM »
Well, there's a double standard, yes. To say nothing of the fact that glasspack mufflers on cars are banned where ear-damaging bikes are allowed.

The ones that annoy me seem to make a habit of deliberately gunning it in on quiet residential streets or downtown in front of outside restaurants, like children banging on a pot for attention. It ruins meals, causes babies to scream in terror, is loud enough to make your ears ring, and is just a nuisance all around. There's absolutely no reason for it at all.

QFT!!!

Cars blasting a sub-woofer used to really bother me. Since moving to a more rural area it is Harley riders gunning it from the stop sign at the end of the block. "Yes, you have a Harley. I heard it when you were idling at the stop sign...ass."  angry
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 09:34:06 AM »
I have straight pipes on my Harley.

It's kept blue-hairs away from me on several occasions, and that's just fine with me, since they can't be bothered to normally look when making lane changes into my lane...

Yeah, I've seen the blue hairs that jerk the wheel over w/o looking. They are usually the ones going 20mph down the road, with the turn signal on, while weaving back and forth.

We call them q-tips...for the white hair that sticks up over the steering wheel.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 09:34:18 AM »
I can see it as a defense mechanism while riding. That seems reasonable.

But sitting in the parking lot and revving it over, and over, and  over is still a dick move.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 09:40:27 AM »
I really don't see too many large groups of bikers either down here.  I rarely ever see them acting stupid either.  I think there still too many trucks around here with homemade steel deer guards. 

Most of my driving is two lane farm roads out in the country.  Normally it is just one or a few riders getting away from things for the day.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 11:29:10 AM »
Was it on a weekend?

Around here, you get a lot of "bikers" wearing new leathers and boots, riding new $30K+ bikes, with their wife-types riding bitch... Oh, they bad, they bad...

And you get a few of them together on the road, it's like they grow attitude. And since they tend to meet at bars, well... As they day goes, the attitude grows... They may have been going five under the limit under the mistaken beloof that izsafferwhen you is schnocked to skid offa da road slowerish....

They're the folks who'll trailer the bikes to Sturgis or Daytona.

Blog under construction

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2008, 11:39:16 AM »
the nouveau bikers are like that. funny in a very annoying way.i pray for hard rain when i see em
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2008, 12:13:29 PM »

Being a Shovelhead rider, we have a term for those folks - WHORES (We Haul Our Rides Everywhere). Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2008, 01:02:17 PM »
I've seen the Sturgis riders described above, although I've done my best to avoid them. I time any trips out west so that I won't be anywhere near SD in late July.

On one trip, though, I got a late start and wound up riding back home through Wyoming a day or so before the Trailer Fest began.

I go out west to ride in the mountains, take turns at a fast but reasonable speed, and enjoy the twisties. I don't go out west to get stuck behind a pack of HD riders who are scared to death to lean their bikes into the turns. That ride through Wyoming was more frustrating than getting stuck behind a parade of RV's. At least RV drivers don't stop every five miles to wipe the bugs off of shiny new leathers.

taurusowner

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2008, 01:12:23 PM »
Next time you've got a problem with Harley riders, just get yourself a nice 650 sport bike and burn past em Smiley

• friends
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2008, 02:01:59 PM »
Next time you've got a problem with Harley riders, just get yourself a nice 650 sport bike and burn past em Smiley

i got my butt kicked pretty good in va beach for doing that. on my first honeymoon  guy with no sense of humour
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2008, 02:04:46 PM »
Being a Shovelhead rider, we have a term for those folks - WHORES (We Haul Our Rides Everywhere).

So, Gew, what's your longest ride and when?  Or do ya just pose around whatever town you're in in Mich?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2008, 02:07:20 PM »
Michigan?  Why would I want to ride in Michigan, since I live in Wisconsin?

My longest ride?  Probably from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe to San Francisco and back to Sacramento...

Long enough to remind me that I'm glad it's not a hardtail, but to still wish for rubber motor mounts.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2008, 02:09:22 PM »
My longest ride?  Probably from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe to San Francisco and back to Sacramento...

That's like what........an afternoon?   

(Sorry about the Michigan/Wisconsin confusion.  They're all the same to me.)

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2008, 02:14:12 PM »

i got my butt kicked pretty good in va beach for doing that. on my first honeymoon  guy with no sense of humour

Wait. Your first honeymoon was with a guy with no sense of humor?

grin

Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

• friends
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2008, 02:23:22 PM »
lol   grin

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2008, 03:02:05 PM »

So, Gew, what's your longest ride and when?  Or do ya just pose around whatever town you're in in Mich?

Troll  rolleyes

Bluehairs are worse than most cage drivers around here.  I love it when the guy that can't see over the wheel aims his land yacht into traffic without stopping or looking, and then stops when he's blocking both lanes because he's just realized a bike is comming! 

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2008, 03:19:43 PM »
Troll  rolleyes

Bluehairs are worse than most cage drivers around here.  I love it when the guy that can't see over the wheel aims his land yacht into traffic without stopping or looking, and then stops when he's blocking both lanes because he's just realized a bike is comming!

I dunno who you're talkin' about, Farmer John, but it ain't me.  My longest (one day) motorcycle ride was San Luis Obispo, CA to Tucson, AZ.  And it wasn't all that long ago. 

Whatta you got?  A ride down to the DewDropInn on the John Deere?

laugh

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2008, 03:20:33 PM »
I understand, Paddy.  Anything east of the rarified air of Kalifornia can get pretty confusing.

I still don't know why you called me a poser, though.  Care to explain that one?

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2008, 03:22:16 PM »
He must've seen the pic of you on the moped, man. I TOLD you to make sure that was destroyed! Tongue

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2008, 03:25:21 PM »
I understand, Paddy.  Anything east of the rarified air of Kalifornia can get pretty confusing.

I still don't know why you called me a poser, though.  Care to explain that one?

I dunno.  Maybe because you put yourself out as some kind of hardcore biker in Post #31?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2008, 03:27:23 PM »
True, 'dat.  It wasn't a hybrid moped, either. It was a Vespa Piaggio Ciao, followed by a Vespa Piaggio Grande.  Wife #1 ended up with both of them.  She's probably back in Sacramento buzzing around on them to this day.  

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2008, 03:35:42 PM »
Wow, you're really astute, getting that from one posting.

Go to Sturgis or Daytona, Paddy.  You'll see two types of motorcycle riders:

1. Those who trailer their shiny bikes to an event, stop at a motel 2 miles outside of town, unload the bikes and ride the last two miles into the event, all clean and looking like they just walked out of the Harley showroom.

2. Those who rode from home to the event (sometimes for days), bugs in teeth, oil on their pant legs, tools in the front tool bag, looking for all the world like they're straight out of Mad Max. 

I ride a '78 Shovelhead.  I have to tighten all the nuts and bolts frequently, to keep them in close formation as I head down a given road.  I don't drink lattes while having the Harley shop change the oil in my bike.  As a matter of fact, when I see an oil puddle under my bike, I'm happy because I know there's oil remaining in the oil tank. At Daytona, those spotless bikes got fewer looks than a dirty vintage Shovelhead.

So yes, we are entitled to call the people listed above WHOREs.  That's what they do, and it's damned near hilarious to see them in action.  It's kinda like watching Prius drivers, toodling along in a cloud of smug.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2008, 03:59:34 PM »

So yes, we are entitled to call the people listed above WHOREs.  That's what they do, and it's damned near hilarious to see them in action.  It's kinda like watching Prius drivers, toodling along in a cloud of smug.

And you guys dog me for helping them along with a LITERAL cloud...

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2008, 04:13:36 PM »
Heh... Once upon a time, back when I was young, and dumb, and fulla...

Well, a whole LOT of speed for about a week or so.

Rode a hardtail chopper from near Lexington, Kentucky down I-75 to Florida, pretty much straight through.

Back when I-75 had tarred joints on the concrete every 20 yards or so.

I think I lost two inches in height on that trip. But the week was one helluva party.

Ain't NEVER gonna do that crap again.

Blog under construction

Biker

• friend
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2008, 05:49:22 AM »

Being a Shovelhead rider, we have a term for those folks - WHORES (We Haul Our Rides Everywhere). Wink
Yup, I ride a Shovel/Pan - '49 bottom end, '75 top. Don't own a trailer either.

If mine ain't leakin', there's something wrong.

Biker grin