Author Topic: .. and you lot think you have it bad  (Read 2432 times)

agricola

• friend
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Iain

• friend
Re: .. and you lot think you have it bad
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 01:36:37 PM »
For all that Davis' action is a stunt, and he has probably had at least one leg cut out from under him by Cameron already - the rolleyes emoticon is appropriate for the content of the link.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 01:59:02 PM »
Guardian in the UK?   How is that relevant?  For that matter, how is the UK even relevant?  No offense, guys, but you're sooooooo 18th century.   cheesy

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 01:15:36 AM »
Lovers of freedom, however, should be wary of Davis's narrow interpretation of it. His concern is with the age-old liberties of English common law, which limit state interference.

He is not concerned with freedom from want, for example, which only the state can provide. He has set himself up as a sceptic of the "seriously malfunctioning" Human Rights Act, which Labour introduced. This is based on the European convention which is the last best hope of restricting the government's draconian pre-charge detention plans.

...ahahaha!
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 01:40:26 AM »
Poor UK......Tom Clark is a dreadful writer....we'll pack up Charles Krauthammer and send him over right away.....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 02:30:47 AM »
"Discuss:"

Uhm...

How about you give us YOUR opinion first?

Or are you looking for original ideas with which you can dazzle your friends?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 08:56:55 AM »
"Discuss:"

Uhm...

How about you give us YOUR opinion first?

Or are you looking for original ideas with which you can dazzle your friends?

Sorry, "Discuss" is usually how university final exam questions are set over here, and it was a reference to that.  Also, my opinion is already on that article (albeit in an alter-ego) and I would have thought my opinion would have been obvious from the thread title.  To restate it in a short number of words, this was  - when it was posted - the single worst article the Guardian has ever been associated with, albeit they have gone a couple of steps further by repeating it today.

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"