Author Topic: Obama's 78square mile gun-shop/range free zones around every school and park  (Read 3207 times)

wacki

• friend
Anyone know of a credible source for this claim?

http://www.sportsmenforobama.org/content/view/43/
This law would effectively ban all gun shops and indirectly every gun range from every city, town, etc.

Apparently the source is:
Chicago Defender, Dec. 13, 1999

More info here
http://www.volokh.com/posts/1203389334.shtml

I'm very interested in finding a more reputable source.  A lot of the uber rich and very influential skeet/trap shooters I know would be upset if Obama actually proposed this law.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
Bernstein's mini bio
     ing Threat to Civil Liberties from Antidiscrimination Laws (Cato Institute 2003), The New David E. Bernstein is a Professor at the George Mason University School of Law in Arlington, Virginia, where he has been teaching since 1995.  He was a Visiting Professor at Georgetown University Law Center for Spring 2003 semester, at the University of Michigan School of Law for the 2005-06 academic year, and at Brooklyn Law School in Fall 2006.

Professor Bernstein is is the author of over sixty frequently cited scholarly articles, book chapters, and think tank studies, including  articles and review essays in the Yale Law Journal, Michigan Law Review (2), Northwestern University Law Review, Texas Law Review (2), Georgetown Law Journal (2), Vanderbilt Law Review, California Law Review, Washington University Law Review, North Carolina Law Review, Boston University Law Review, and Iowa Law Review.

Professor Bernstein is a nationally recognized expert on the Daubert case and the admissibility of expert testimony, on the Lochner era of American constitutional jurisprudence, and on First Amendment issues arising from the application of antidiscrimination laws. He is the author of You Can't Say That!  The GrowWigmore: Expert Evidence (Aspen Law and Business 2003),  Only One Place of Redress: African-Americans, Labor Regulations, and the Courts from Reconstruction to the New Deal (Duke 2001), and co-editor of Phantom Risk: Scientific Inference and the Law (MIT 1993).  He is a past chairperson of the Association of American Law Schools Evidence section.

Professor Bernstein teaches Torts II, Products Liability, Evidence, Constitutional Law, Scientific and Expert Evidence. Professor Bernstein is a contributor to the popular Volokh Conspiracy blog.
Volokh is a very reputable source, IMHO.

The 5 mile radius is scary.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

MicroBalrog

• friend
Volokh is a law professor in one of America's best universities.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Waitone

• friend
Hillary sponsored a 1,000 foot exclusion zone which was later overturned on appeal IIRC.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

wacki

• friend
Volokh is a law professor in one of America's best universities.

This may be true but their source is the Chicago Defender.  That news outlet isn't exactly what I would call mainstream.  While I realize that a black news outlet is unlikely to slander Obama I'd love something a little more official or at least reputable.  I'd really like to avoid explaining to others why this is the best source I can find.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
For many years the Chicago Daily Defender was a really good newspaper.....lately it's just become a shill for Rev Jesse Jackson and his ilk....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wacki

• friend
For many years the Chicago Daily Defender was a really good newspaper.....lately it's just become a shill for Rev Jesse Jackson and his ilk....

Which is one more reason why I'd like to get a more reputable source.

If obama really proposed this law then there has to be a record somewhere.  Any ideas of how I go about finding it?

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
Actually, the Chicago Defender is a historically black newspaper.  Feb. 2004 Scientific American even references it:
"Indispensable for migration was a communications system for spreading the news about the North.  In part, that task fell to black newspapers, notably the Chicago Defender, which had many southern readers,"  pg 25.

According to its website, it's been around for 103 years.  Here's another citation from encyclopedia.com with an author:
Obama unveils federal gun bill
From: Chicago Defender | Date: December 13, 1999| Author: Strausberg, Chinta | Copyright Chicago Defender Dec 13, 1999. Provided by ProQuest LLC.Copyright information

Obama unveils federal gun bill

Sweeping federal gun control legislation proposed by Sen. Barack Obama (D-13th) would increase the penalties on gun runners who are flooding Chicago's streets with illegal weapons.

At an anti-gun rally held at the Park Manor Christian Church, 600 E. 73rd St., headed by the Rev. James Demus, Obama also said he's backing a resolution being introduced into the City Council by Alds. Toni Preckwinkle (4th), Ted Thomas (15th), Leslie Hairston (5th) to ca...

Since this particular article was written almost ten years ago, before Obama was on the national scene, I'm not sure what other references would be available.  Regional/local news is likely the only source.  I'd call it valid and factual.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

wacki

• friend
Regional/local news is likely the only source.

I highly doubt that.  There has to be an official record somewhere.

I'd call it valid and factual.

Thats nice and I doubt few here would disagree.  But it doesn't help me convince others that Obama is lying when he says he respects the rights of hunters and sport shooters.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
Regional/local news is likely the only source.

I highly doubt that.  There has to be an official record somewhere.

To be sure.  You might be able to find it on the Illinois State Senate website, but in my experience, the government brings the same efficiency to web sites as it does to all other endeavors.

I'd call it valid and factual.

Thats nice and I doubt few here would disagree.  But it doesn't help me convince others that Obama is lying when he says he respects the rights of hunters and sport shooters.
[/quote]
Ah.  You might try a Lexis/Nexis search.  Glancing at the site and the article, I'd say that the paper is quite supportive of the legislation.  Different than finding the article in the Guns and Ammo.

Good luck.  Post if you find anything else.

MechAg94

• friend
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121312036667861227.html?mod=Best+of+the+Web+Today

I was checking where I had first seen that story.  This one links back to the Chicago Defender also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge