Author Topic: why do "they" insist you must be a computer expert to enjoy the internet? (rant)  (Read 6956 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
I'm not impressed with AVG V8 either.  One day I'll get around to downgrading to V7 (assuming I still have the installer on my laptop).  Frankly, I prefer Norton over all of them, but went with AVG because it was free.

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
You can afford $30 or $40 for anti-virus software?

No, which is why I am so quick to anger lately, I've been sitting in the taxi for ten and 12 hour shifts for the last 2 months watching it get worse and worse
The past month my average has been around 3 or 4 damn bucks and hour.
I quit on friday because I pawned a guitar to put gas in the tank and came home with 20 bucks after a 12 hour shift.
I am soooo broke I am taking up an offer to go back to SF to live with my ex (in her house) and look for work there.
The Reno economy has tanked, and I've only been here 3 years so I'm still "the new guy"... Man, even an 11$ dollar an hour job would be a God Send and I'm an allegedly "smart" drug free guy pushing 50.

Hey all you young whippersnappers, do not party your way through your 20's and 30's ....get that degree or you might end up like me!
Wow, that has to suck.  All I can suggest is to keep your eyes open and look for alternatives.  There are lots of jobs that pay over $11 an hour.  I guess it is just a matter of looking around and seeing what you can do or can convince someone you can do.  I bet the painters we had in our plant make more than that.  We have a new plant going in near Rodeo.  Might be some chemical plant jobs opening up.  They usually want experience though.

I saw an article recently that some big Car Wash chain in Houston was always looking for sales people.  These are the guys who meet you when you drive up and talk you into spending more money.  Apparently they can start at over $20 an hour with commissions.  They made sure the mention the guys doing the washing/wiping don't make that much.  Smiley

What do hot shot drivers make? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Ever thought of driving commercial? A class B cdl is super easy to get. Around here $14-16 per hour is easy to get even w/ no experience. Hazmat ie liquid oxygen or gas is even more. $24 is union scale iirc, non-union is still usually over $20.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

JimMarch

• friend
If you have a low-end PC and can't handle the virus situation, the best answer is Linux...which in turn is a "cousin" to the MacOS except Linux is free and runs on standard PC hardware (including old cheap stuff).  Linux and MacOS (starting with version 10) are both "Unix family tree" operating systems scaled down from university mainframe setups.  The Unix world solved computer security issues in the late 1970s that Windows is still grappling with.  Windows is a scaled-up toy for PCs; Linux is a scaled-down-for-the-PC monster also used in the world's fastest supercomputers.

There's a problem though: setting up Linux for the first time means being a bit "geeky" unless you have somebody available who already knows it.  I've guided a bunch of people into transitioning to Linux (generally the Ubuntu flavor) and it works great so long as I convert their data over and do the initial setup.

After that a total PC newbie can run it just fine.  With zero anti-virus software, because it's immune to all that Windows malware.

If they have the horsepower for it (Pentium4 CPU with 1gig RAM minimum) I set them up with a Windows XP "virtual machine" that runs underneath Linux whenever they want - that way any specifically Windows thing they need still works.  Linux ends up acting as a "super firewall from hell" for Windows, you can jump instantly from Linux to Windows, and you do all your web-stuff and EMail in Linux where you're protected.

But it's that first step that can hose people.

I jumped to Linux almost two years ago when my XP laptop caught a bad bug despite all possible updates and a paid-up copy of ZoneAlarm Pro anti-virus and software firewall.  Something tried to zombify me regardless; after a three-day bughunt I downloaded Ubuntu and have never booted Windows as my primary OS since.  The learning curve was doable on my own but, I'm a geek Smiley.