Author Topic: WaPo: Libertarian Candidate Barr Blasts McCain  (Read 20303 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: WaPo: Libertarian Candidate Barr Blasts McCain
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 03:11:19 PM »
 Recognizing Barr's precarious situation, the Libertarian Party seized on the opportunity to oust one of the federal drug war's most vocal proponents (Barr), and ran TV ads criticizing Barr's opposition to medical marijuana.[23] Barr was soundly defeated by a 2-to-1 margin.[23] The extent to which the issue of medical marijuana shaped the election is unclear. Some have argued that Barr's huge loss simply reflected the nature of the new 7th district, which was primarly redrawn from Linder's old 11th district.[21] However, before the medical marijuana ads were aired,[23] the Linder campaign acknowledged the race as being tight;[24] and Pat Gartland, southeastern director of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, saw the race as "too close to call".[22]

Barr's defeat was applauded by many Democrats and Libertarians. Rob Kampia of the Marijuana Policy Project called it "glorious news".[25] Ron Crickenberger, producer of the TV ads, was quick to warn other drug warriors:

With this victory, we have fired a warning shot for every drug warrior in Congress to hear. And any member of Congress -- Democrat or Republican -- who introduces legislation to make federal drug laws even more oppressive could be next on our list.

Ron Crickenberger, Libertarian Party Political Director, August 2002[23]
However, some individuals within these groups lamented Barr's defeat as a setback for privacy rights,[26] and libertarian causes in general.[24] Libertarian J. Bradley Jansen put it bluntly:

The LP has a historic opportunity to present itself as a viable alternative to the big parties, instead of spending its money and energy trying to defeat one of libertarianism's few friends in Congress just because they disagree with him on one issue.

if you can't beat em join em
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2008, 03:41:20 PM »
I look for the Libertarians to break the 10% mark in votes this election. It won't get Barr elected, but it'll get the GOP's attention.....

I'll bet you a case of your/my favorite beer the LP does not break 10% popular vote.  You up for that wager?

Sure....as soon as I find what my favorite beer is. I'm still working my way through the suggestions on the other thread....  grin

And I don't think 10% is that optimistic....McCain is that bad......and a lot of people want to stick it to the Repubs....this would do it without having to vote for a liberal....

I will gladly shoulder the burden of choosing your beer, in the event that you win the bet.  I have a pretty good taste for brews and am not likely to lead you off the malt & hoppy path of righteousness. 

Believe you me, I would not send a sub-standard brew your way, as I value my reputation both here and in beer-land.

Hmmm, I think I need to take a look-see at what I have in the fridge to satisfy a craving that just hit...
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2008, 04:13:34 PM »
Most of us are all too aware of McCain's deficiencies.  But Obama's far outweigh McCain's on the critical stuff and there's at least some sliver of hope we might be able to push McCain rightward.

Barr is a narcissistic gadfly.  There is way too much riding on this Election for this kind of foolish posturing.  If Barr had a better way he should have run for the GOP nomination.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2008, 04:26:02 PM »
Most of us are all too aware of McCain's deficiencies.  But Obama's far outweigh McCain's on the critical stuff and there's at least some sliver of hope we might be able to push McCain rightward.

Barr is a narcissistic gadfly.  There is way too much riding on this Election for this kind of foolish posturing.  If Barr had a better way he should have run for the GOP nomination.

Like Hunter and Tancredo?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2008, 11:43:37 PM »
Well, they won't benefit from many "GOP defectors" as long as they have an open boarders platform.

------------------------------

http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org/oldindex.html
http://www.gtr5.com
http://ssunitedstates.org

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2008, 04:58:55 AM »
. . . embracing the anti-government tenets of the Libertarian party . . .
I never thought of the Libertarian party as "anti-government" . . . I thought of them as "anti-excessive-government" with a platform to sharply reduce - but not abolish - the Feds.

The writer makes them sound like outright anarchists.
I think it is fair to suggest that a substantial percentage of the LP membership are pretty close to being anarchists.

The ones in this area are. They even use the A symbol. Tongue

The horror!

I'm wagering for the LP to get  2, maybe 3 percent, and for McCain to lose due to that.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2008, 12:20:48 PM »
is that a two part bet? i'll cover both parts. what you wagering? i don't like cheetos.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2008, 12:51:30 PM »
is that a two part bet? i'll cover both parts. what you wagering? i don't like cheetos.

Pity. I have a half-ton supply in my basement.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2008, 10:47:28 PM »
More seriously: Willing to wager $5, paid to the charity of my/your choice, depending who wins, that the LP breaks 1%?

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2008, 04:44:37 AM »

Blasphemer! Cheetos are quite possibly, nature's most perfect food! grin except maybe peanut butter
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2008, 06:43:55 AM »
i'll cover some of that action  i think 10% is wishful thinking

Even 5% is wishful thinking.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2008, 01:12:36 PM »
i'll cover some of that action  i think 10% is wishful thinking

Even 5% is wishful thinking.

McCain winning is wishful thinking.....5% is a Libertarian mandate....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

• friends
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2008, 01:35:15 PM »
the paulians are so bitter

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2008, 02:17:31 PM »

Pity. I have a half-ton supply in my basement.

You too ??  I went long on Chee-to futures (thinking RP would stay in the race until the convention) and now have several railcars full of 'em I need to unload.   laugh cheesy
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2008, 05:13:18 PM »
The LP has an advantage this year in that Barr used to be a real politician with real influence.  He ought to do better than Ba--zzzzzzzzzzsnore--where was I?  Oh, Barr ought to better than the last LP snoozer/loser POTUS candidate.

I still think it unlikely that the LP will break 1% of the vote.  10% is the stuff of fever dreams.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2008, 07:50:10 PM »

And what's wrong with being 'bitter'?

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2008, 12:57:36 AM »

Us "bitter people" have God and guns, remember?....  grin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2008, 03:59:58 AM »

Us "bitter people" have God and guns, remember?....  grin

Well, actually, that's mostly Republicans. The big L libertarians keep getting busted by the feds and losing them all for pulling stupid and illegal stunts. cheesy

You know...

"We'll just mint our own coins with dollar denominations and tell people to pass them off as legal tender!" *raid*

"I won't pay any taxes ever! They won't take me alive!" *clank* "20 years."

"BATFE is stupid! I don't need to obey these...!" *clank* "10 years."

etc...

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2008, 04:51:55 AM »
Well, actually, that's mostly Republicans. The big L libertarians keep getting busted by the feds and losing them all for pulling stupid and illegal stunts. cheesy

You know...

"We'll just mint our own coins with dollar denominations and tell people to pass them off as legal tender!" *raid*

etc...

If enough people engage in civil disobedience, it becomes an effective tool. Of course, some people don't have the balls to disobey and will follow any law no matter how immoral it is.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2008, 04:53:14 AM »

What do you base that statement on?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2008, 05:00:16 AM »

You know...

etc...

If enough people engage in civil disobedience, it becomes an effective tool. Of course, some people don't have the balls to disobey and will follow any law no matter how immoral it is.

No, actually, putting on suits and getting things done in the courtroom is far more effective than middle-aged men putting on mismatched fatigues and stamping around with a rifle until the feds take them down.

Whenever the libertarian-loonies start their show, I just sit back with popcorn, and laugh. It always ends the same way, and they never learn. They just flail and cry about zionists and illuminati and all even after they're arrested. (That Brown guy was complaining they had a secret plot to "gas" him when they used cellblock disinfectant.) cheesy Makes for good entertainment, though.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2008, 05:04:51 AM »
So you argue civil disobedience is bad altogether, or just civil disobedience by people who don't wear suits?

Also, the NORFED people, whose MLM enterprise I never supported, have not passed off their pseudocoins as legal tender.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2008, 05:07:48 AM »
So you argue civil disobedience is bad altogether, or just civil disobedience by people who don't wear suits?

Also, the NORFED people, whose MLM enterprise I never supported, have not passed off their pseudocoins as legal tender.

Yes, they did. They put both "$20" and "20 DOLLARS" on the coin in the same font as US currency, had "USA", and used common federal imagery. That's illegal. You cannot say "dollars" and use the $ without something saying "non-negotiable" or "not legal tender". Which it did not have.

They also published instructions on how to to try to use it to pay for goods and services, when silver was $15/ounce at the time. That was clearcut promotion of fraud. They got stomped for it.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2008, 05:08:19 AM »

You know...

etc...

No, actually, putting on suits and getting things done in the courtroom is far more effective than middle-aged men putting on mismatched fatigues and stamping around with a rifle until the feds take them down.

Whenever the libertarian-loonies start their show, I just sit back with popcorn, and laugh. It always ends the same way, and they never learn. They just flail and cry about zionists and illuminati and all even after they're arrested. (That Brown guy was complaining they had a secret plot to "gas" him when they used cellblock disinfectant.) cheesy Makes for good entertainment, though.

Civil disobedience clearly means different things to you than it does to me. I just ignore rules I disagree with whenever practical. I feel pretty free most of the time as a result. When ignoring dumb rules is impractical then other tactics should be considered. Running around in the woods in camouflage is generally not practical for much of anything.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2008, 03:04:33 PM »
Why exactly is Obama a "mess we cannot clean up"?

Yes, I get it, he's a left-winger. How is he worse than LBJ or FDR?
We are still hamstrung by the legacies of LBJ and FDR.  He doesn't need to even be worse to implement policies even more detrimental to the country.  Obama, with a democrat congress could do irreparable damage.  Once something is in place that someone is 'entitled' to, it becomes virtually the equivalent of a right.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com