Author Topic: Obama's New Presidential Seal may be the most frightening thing I have ever seen  (Read 5155 times)

lacoochee

Deo Vindice

* "[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
---James Madison,The Federalist Papers, No. 46.

Manedwolf

• friend
It's not illegal, but it's disrespectful.

Of course, he has no respect for the symbols of the office. He is a post-American, after all.

lacoochee

I don't care about the legality, I care about the symbology of what was a added and what was removed.  I think it speaks to what we may expect. 

If he gets elected I guess we can't say he didn't warn us...
Deo Vindice

* "[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

Manedwolf

• friend
You mean the removal of "Out of Many, One"?

Yeah, that's about right for what he wants. Hell with melting pot.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
That's not a presidential seal.

It's a campaign seal.

Other campaigns in the past, both Republican and Democratic, have done similar things.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
Other campaigns in the past, both Republican and Democratic, have done similar things.
Links?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I know other campaigns drape themselves in the stars and stripes at every turn, but I can't recall making up a pseudo-seal like that either. And the shaded blue/white with no red makes it worse.

And the overall effect is indeed creepy. Like a TV prop striving to add "atmosphere" to a show set in a near-future fascist/communist "Amerika"...
I promise not to duck.

Manedwolf

• friend
The staffer who came up with it is already under the bus, I can assure you.

MechAg94

• friend
Blue and White:  Colors of the UN right?   Cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Check out some of the antique "American flags," complete with political slogans, at this site:

http://www.jeffbridgman.com/html/antiqueflags.htm

Writing directly ON the flag is no longer done, but there have been, over the years, many such variations on seals, flags, etc., that make it very clear what the inspiration for the graphics are.

For example, the buttons here: http://www.journalofantiques.com/images/f5.gif

Or here: http://www.uwrf.edu/library/arc/features/pins.jpg
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

longeyes

• friend
Well, he could have made it easier for himself by writing...

Out of Many THE ONE.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Check out some of the antique "American flags," complete with political slogans, at this site:

http://www.jeffbridgman.com/html/antiqueflags.htm

Writing directly ON the flag is no longer done, but there have been, over the years, many such variations on seals, flags, etc., that make it very clear what the inspiration for the graphics are.

For example, the buttons here: http://www.journalofantiques.com/images/f5.gif

Or here: http://www.uwrf.edu/library/arc/features/pins.jpg

I hear you Mike, as does almost every single cardboard yard sign for a Federal office election you care to see...

But re-working the seal of the office of the POTUS like that is creepy. Sorry, it just is. While the flag has proper display standards, it's parts and colors have also become an ubiquitous representation for all things "Americana", such that the use of the red white and blue, and stars can be stretched pretty far.

But the American Eagle with the arrows and olive branches and the shield is a very specific thing.

I know it was unintentional, and I don't really read much into it, but making up their own seal like that, it conveys a very specific impression well beyond simply plastering stars and stripes on something.
I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I can't disagree with you more.

After all, the POTUS seal is nothing more than a variation on the Great Seal of the United States.

Then there's the seal of the House of Representatives, which is another variation...

When you get right down to it, there are LOTS of various seals that use elements of the Great Seal, olive branches, eagles, arrows, stars.

Also, is the Great Seal or the Seal of the President, Congress, HoR, Senate, etc. proprietary?

No, it's not.

The Great Seal and the Seal of the President, etc., really have no official use other than to be affixed to formal documents. In that use, it's done monochrome. So, in other words, the OFFICIAL seal is black and white, not the Ted Turner Colorization version.

Lennyjoe

• friend
Fox news is reporting that they pulled the seal.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/06/23/obama-camp-drops-familiar-presidential-seal/

Barack Obamas campaign has canned its use of an emblem that critics had panned as a theft of the official U.S. presidential seal.

The new seal was trotted out Friday at a round-table discussion with Democratic governors. It had a blue background and an eagle in the center clutching arrows and an olive branch, similar to the presidents logo.

An Obama campaign spokesperson said the seal was a one-time thing designed for a one-time use at the governors meeting.

But another campaign source told The Atlantic.com that the campaign decided to stop using the logo because it didnt want to give the press a reason to label Obama arrogant.

The real-life presidential seal and Obamas image are not identical. The presidential seal has the Latin phrase E pluribus unum  Out of many, one. In place of that, Obamas seal says, Vero possumus  a rough Latin translation of his slogan of Yes, we can.

On podiums at the White House, the seal is encircled with the words, Seal of the President of the United States. Obamas Internet-driven campaign lists his Web site address in that place.

Where the presidential version has a shield over the eagles breast, Obamas has his O campaign logo with a rising sun representing hope ahead.

Still, many critics said the seal was an aggressive effort to imprint on peoples minds the idea that Obama is the president when that decision hasnt yet been made.

Not only is this presumptuous, it looks like it belongs on a Mad Magazine issue. its completely silly & its a bit arrogant as well, said Republican strategist Andrea Tantaros. Independents, they look at something like this and they say, Hes a manufactured guy. & The more stylized Obamas campaign becomes, the more he looks like an elitest Ivy Leaguer. He needs to keep this stuff on the college campuses and off Main Street.

But Democratic strategist Bob Beckel said it doesnt matter if the campaign appears presumptuous.

The right wing bloggers dont like it but so what? If this is the best they can do against him then
hes a more of a shoo-in than I think he is already, Beckel said.

Obamas spokesman said the notice paid to the seal was a little over the top. Is this really worthy of this much attention? he asked.

Manedwolf

• friend
Yup. They threw it, and probably the person whose idea it was, under the bus. Told you. Smiley

lacoochee

+1 to the Patagonian menace for predicting the future.
Deo Vindice