Author Topic: Pelosi on 'Hush Rush,' and Filibustering FISA  (Read 7849 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Pelosi on 'Hush Rush,' and Filibustering FISA
« on: June 25, 2008, 04:57:27 AM »
Pelosi on 'Hush Rush,' and Filibustering FISA
by John Gizzi
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=27185

The speaker of the House made it clear to me and more than forty of my colleagues yesterday that a bill by Rep. Mike Pence (R.-Ind.) to outlaw the Fairness Doctrine (which a liberal administration could use to silence Rush Limbaugh, other radio talk show hosts and much of the new alternative media) would not see the light of day in Congress during 08.  In ruling out a vote on Pences proposed Broadcaster's Freedom Act, Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D.-CA.) also signaled her strong support for revival of the Fairness Doctrine -- which would require radio station owners to provide equal time to radio commentary when it is requested.

Experts say that the Fairness Doctrine, which was ended under the Reagan Administration, would put a major burden on small radio stations in providing equal time to Rush Limbaugh and other conservative broadcasters, who are a potent political force.  Rather than engage in the costly practice of providing that time, the experts conclude, many stations would simply not carry Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and other talk show hosts who are likely to generate demands for equal time.

At a breakfast hosted by the Christian Science Monitor yesterday, I asked Pelosi if Pence failed to get the required signatures on a discharge petition to get his anti-Fairness Doctrine bill out of committee, would she permit the Pence measure to get a floor vote this year.

No, the Speaker replied, without hesitation.  She added that the interest in my caucus is the reverse and that New York Democratic Rep. Louise Slaughter has been active behind this [revival of the Fairness Doctrine] for a while now.

Pelosi pointed out that, after it returns from its Fourth of July recess, the House will only meet for another three weeks in July and three weeks in the fall.  There are a lot of bills it has to deal with before adjournment, she said, such as FISA and an energy bill.

So I dont see it [the Pence bill] coming to the floor, Pelosi said.

Do you personally support revival of the Fairness Doctrine? I asked.

Yes, the speaker replied, without hesitation

Pelosi to Senate:  Filibuster FISA

Although Speaker Pelosi would not specifically call for Sen. Barack Obama to lead a filibuster against Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act legislation in the Senate, she did send a strong signal that she was positive about the talk of filibuster against the surveillance measure by Democratic Sens. Christopher Dodd (CT.) and Russ Feingold (Wisc.)

Recalling that there were many issues before the Senate that she felt deserved but did not get a filibuster -- on the war in Iraq and expansion of the State Childrens Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) that the Administration vetoed, for example -- Pelosi voiced her opinion that a filibuster focuses on a very important issue and that the importance of FISA justifies that.

The Speaker pointed out that if the Senate has the ability to filibuster, and I think there is a great appetite in the public for such a debate on [FISA] to take place.  And I think it would be healthy and wholesome.

Of her own unusual vote for the surveillance bill coupled with an admonition to colleagues that they were not obliged to do the same, Pelosi was pressed by nationally syndicated columnist Robert Novak.

Its better than the underlying FISA law, Pelosi told Novak, Its better than what the Senate had sent us.  Its not good enough, as far as Im concerned.  But I did for it because, again, we have our choices to make and I viewed my role as saving the world, the House, the Congress, from the Senate bill, and  the Protect America Act, the Administrations bill.  But it isn;t the bill I would have written.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Pelosi on 'Hush Rush,' and Filibustering FISA
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 05:06:26 AM »
I want to know only one thing:

Will "Fairness Doctrine" be enacted under Obama?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 05:13:57 AM »
Are they going to apply this to television, too ?  And the newspapers ?

This could be the end of the liberalMedia.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 05:21:17 AM »
I want to know only one thing:

Will "Fairness Doctrine" be enacted under Obama?

Of course it will.  50% will be devoted to talk of hope, and the other 50% talk of change.

edit:  though I do think there should be an automatic right of rebuttal for personal criticism.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 05:23:44 AM »
Fairness doctrine.

Freedom is slavery, etc...

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 05:49:54 AM »
Cool !  I'm looking forward to seeing NRA and Ruger ads on television ! 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 06:14:54 AM »
I'm quite serious in my question. Has Obama stated anywhere he supports the Fairness Doctrine?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 06:25:47 AM »
I'm quite serious in my question. Has Obama stated anywhere he supports the Fairness Doctrine?

Yup:
A more disturbing position taken by Obama, however, is his view - articulated on draftobama.org - that "I hope Congress gets to work right away on reestablishing the Fairness Doctrine with the FCC. There needs to be balance on the airwaves again on radio as well as TV and cable."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 06:29:47 AM »
...forget whatever I said before about Obama not being significantly worse.

OH JESUS CHRIST.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 06:36:51 AM »
A more disturbing position taken by Obama, however, is his view - articulated on draftobama.org - that "I hope Congress gets to work right away on reestablishing the Fairness Doctrine with the FCC. There needs to be balance on the airwaves again on radio as well as TV and cable."
TV and Cable is considered fair by them at this time; 99% Liberal, 1% Conservative.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 07:02:44 AM »
The agenda is glaringly obvious.  Muzzle all dissent.  Exact total control.  All that remains is for Supreme Leader of the United States, Justice Anthony Kennedy, to subvert the Second Amendment tomorrow.  We are very close to a tipping point, friends.

This will not be an Election, it will be a parting of the ways.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 07:04:44 AM »
...forget whatever I said before about Obama not being significantly worse.

OH JESUS CHRIST.

This is what the objection was, yes. At least McCain is upfront about stupid things. Obama is a snake.

Once thought police is mandated, once the airwaves and even blogs are "balanced" by mandate, it's all over in terms of freedom.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 07:14:17 AM »
Are they going to apply this to television, too ?  And the newspapers ?

HA! Of course not...they are not the hated right-wing extremist talk radio, and thus are already fair.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 07:18:34 AM »

This will not be an Election, it will be a parting of the ways.

Scary how prophetic that sounds....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 07:18:56 AM »
For every force there's a counter-force.  Expect the word "underground" to be on everyone's lips in the years ahead.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 09:18:08 AM »
The conservative media on AM radio has a great deal more money and such these days.  I expect there would be some legal battles in all this.  At the very least, there would be efforts to prove it inequitable if only applied to radio. 

Also, what is to stop conservative radio guys from requesting equal time on other stations?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 02:51:32 PM »
Talk radio can leave the AM airways and thrive either online or via satellite radio.

Rush and Sean have been prepared for this for several years, since home users have had sufficient bandwidth to take advantage of internet based streaming audio.

They would market their shows in two forms:

#1 - the free version would have the regular commercial breaks in it you hear now on your local AM station.  These could even be targeted to local advertisers based upon IP address geolocation.

#2 - the premium version would have non-stop Rush or other host, and no commercials.

It would also be voluntary to listen to (like AM radio isn't voluntary???) and exempt from the Fairness Doctrine.  It would also not be slaved to live broadcast hours like current AM broadcasts are, and in many ways better for you and I.

AM radio stations would tank and fall into the toilet overnight, but IP multicasting would improve by leaps and bounds, as would internet bandwidth in certain key datacenters across the country.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 03:36:09 PM »
Okay folks, just to simmer down some of the hype over fairness doctrine:

There's a reason it applies only to the airwaves, and not to print.  That is: The government LICENSES every broadcaster to use the airwaves, and there are only so many airwaves available for use.  The reason you have the fairness doctrine is so that one group can't buy up all the airwaves and thereby exclude all political dissent from access, all the while acting under the color of a federal license.

If this were one of the media that isn't restricted by government license, I'd be more opposed...although I am opposed to this scheme as it sits.  A much better idea would be to reserve public airway time for both candidates, so that they can air their views without forcing private parties to accomodate them.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 05:09:32 PM »
There's a reason it applies only to the airwaves, and not to print.  That is: The government LICENSES every broadcaster to use the airwaves, and there are only so many airwaves available for use.  The reason you have the fairness doctrine is so that one group can't buy up all the airwaves and thereby exclude all political dissent from access, all the while acting under the color of a federal license.

So the leftists claim...

Leftists still have the mainstream media marching in lockstep with them- that's print and broadcast television.

Tell me, why, has Air America failed so miserably?
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 05:32:18 PM »

So the leftists claim...

Leftists still have the mainstream media marching in lockstep with them- that's print and broadcast television.

Tell me, why, has Air America failed so miserably?

Because their shows and hosts are utter crap.
Honestly, I'm a bit biased, as I'd probably agree with 60/40 of what an air america host would say, I can't stand listening to any of them. 

Sean Hannity, on the other hand, and to a lesser extent, Rush, are great showmen.  I enjoy listening to their shows until they say something that makes me want to explode.  I'd love to have a beer with Hannity and argue about anything with him for semantics sake.

I'd never go anywhere near Ed Schultz, Randi Rhodes, or any of those other jokers.

The Right has been at the game for far longer, and is much better at it.  Give the left time, and they'll get better and better at it; don't underestimate 'em.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 06:28:49 PM »
there are only so many airwaves available for use.

There are a lot more radio stations in this town than newspapers.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 07:38:49 PM »

Only partially true. For one, as radio technology advances, the amount of separate stations that can run in one area increases. Digital radio, when introduced, will multiply that by a factor of hundreds. Second, airwaves were at one time privately owned.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 03:59:07 AM »

Only partially true. For one, as radio technology advances, the amount of separate stations that can run in one area increases. Digital radio, when introduced, will multiply that by a factor of hundreds. Second, airwaves were at one time privately owned.

They keep saying that, and every time that happens, the "advances" involve higher compression into the same bandwidth, resulting in CRAPPY QUALITY...but lots of channels!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 04:37:00 AM »

Yup:

Is that still up? DraftObama.org, I mean? Or some non-conservative-affiliated site where this quote is posted?

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 04:57:44 AM »
He is against it. As of 6/25/08. Whether that changes in the future, who knows.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6573406.html?desc=topstory
"Sen. Obama does not support reimposing the Fairness Doctrine on broadcasters," press secretary Michael Ortiz said in an e-mail to B&C late Wednesday.

"He considers this debate to be a distraction from the conversation we should be having about opening up the airwaves and modern communications to as many diverse viewpoints as possible," Ortiz added. "That is why Sen. Obama supports media-ownership caps, network neutrality, public broadcasting, as well as increasing minority ownership of broadcasting and print outlets."
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!