Author Topic: Who the hell is Mark Kirk (R)-IL, and why did he just introduce a new AWB?  (Read 5279 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-6257

Same old #$%&, renamed to look like it's "protecting"...um...something?

Introduced:   Jun 12, 2008
Sponsor:   Rep. Mark Kirk [R-IL]

HR 6257 IH

110th CONGRESS

2d Session

H. R. 6257

To reinstate the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

June 12, 2008

Mr. KIRK (for himself, Mr. CASTLE, Mr. FERGUSON, and Mr. SHAYS) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

A BILL

To reinstate the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the Assault Weapons Ban Reauthorization Act of 2008.

SEC. 2. RESTRICTION ON MANUFACTURE, TRANSFER, AND POSSESSION OF CERTAIN SEMIAUTOMATIC ASSAULT WEAPONS.

(a) RESTRICTION- Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding after subsection (u) the following:

(v)(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to manufacture, transfer, or possess a semiautomatic assault weapon.

(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the possession or transfer of any semiautomatic assault weapon otherwise lawfully possessed under Federal law on the date of the enactment of this subsection.

(3) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to--

(A) any of the firearms, or replicas or duplicates of the firearms, specified in appendix A to this section, as such firearms were manufactured on October 1, 1993;

(B) any firearm that--

(i) is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action;

(ii) has been rendered permanently inoperable; or

(iii) is an antique firearm;

(C) any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than 5 rounds of ammunition; or

(D) any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than 5 rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine.

The fact that a firearm is not listed in appendix A shall not be construed to mean that paragraph (1) applies to such firearm. No firearm exempted by this subsection may be deleted from appendix A so long as this subsection is in effect.

(4) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to--

(A) the manufacture for, transfer to, or possession by the United States or a department or agency of the United States (including the United States Armed Forces and, under regulations pursuant to title 50, United States Code, the National Guard and Reserve), or a State or a department, agency, or political subdivision of a State, or a transfer to or possession by a law enforcement officer employed by such an entity for purposes of law enforcement (whether on or off duty);

(B) the transfer to a licensee under title I of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 for purposes of establishing and maintaining an on-site physical protection system and security organization required by Federal law, or possession by an employee or contractor of such licensee on-site for such purposes or off-site for purposes of licensee-authorized training or transportation of nuclear materials;

(C) the possession, by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving a firearm, of a semiautomatic assault weapon transferred to the individual by the agency upon such retirement; or

(D) the manufacture, transfer, or possession of a semiautomatic assault weapon by a licensed manufacturer or licensed importer for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Secretary..

(b) DEFINITION OF SEMIAUTOMATIC ASSAULT WEAPON- Section 921(a) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding after paragraph (29) the following:

(30) The term semiautomatic assault weapon means--

(A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as--

(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);

(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;

(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);

(iv) Colt AR-15;

(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;

(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;

(vii) Steyr AUG;

(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and

(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) a bayonet mount;

(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) a grenade launcher;

(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and

(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and

(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine..

(c) PENALTIES-

(1) VIOLATION OF SECTION 922(v)- Section 924(a)(1)(B) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by striking or (q) of section 922 and inserting (r), or (v) of section 922.

(2) USE OR POSSESSION DURING CRIME OF VIOLENCE OR DRUG TRAFFICKING CRIME- Section 924(c)(1)(B)(i) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting or semiautomatic assault weapon, after short-barreled shotgun,.

(d) IDENTIFICATION MARKINGS FOR SEMIAUTOMATIC ASSAULT WEAPONS- Section 923(i) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following: The serial number of any semiautomatic assault weapon manufactured after the date of the enactment of this sentence shall clearly show the date on which the weapon was manufactured..

SEC. 3. BAN OF LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICES.

(a) PROHIBITION- Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, as amended by section 2(a), is amended by adding after subsection (v) the following:

(w)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for a person to transfer or possess a large capacity ammunition feeding device.

(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the possession or transfer of any large capacity ammunition feeding device otherwise lawfully possessed on or before the date of the enactment of this subsection.

(3) This subsection shall not apply to--

(A) the manufacture for, transfer to, or possession by the United States or a department or agency of the United States (including the United States Armed Forces and, under regulations pursuant to title 50, United States Code, the National Guard and Reserve), or a State or a department, agency, or political subdivision of a State, or a transfer to or possession by a law enforcement officer employed by such an entity for purposes of law enforcement (whether on or off duty);

(B) the transfer to a licensee under title I of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 for purposes of establishing and maintaining an on-site physical protection system and security organization required by Federal law, or possession by an employee or contractor of such licensee on-site for such purposes or off-site for purposes of licensee-authorized training or transportation of nuclear materials;

(C) the possession, by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving ammunition, of a large capacity ammunition feeding device transferred to the individual by the agency upon such retirement; or

(D) the manufacture, transfer, or possession of any large capacity ammunition feeding device by a licensed manufacturer or licensed importer for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Secretary..

(4) If a person charged with violating paragraph (1) asserts that paragraph (1) does not apply to such person because of paragraph (2) or (3), the Government shall have the burden of proof to show that such paragraph (1) applies to such person. The lack of a serial number as described in section 923(i) of title 18, United States Code, shall be a presumption that the large capacity ammunition feeding device is not subject to the prohibition of possession in paragraph (1)..

(b) DEFINITION OF LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICE- Section 921(a) of title 18, United States Code, as amended by section 2(b), is amended by adding after paragraph (30) the following:

(31) The term large capacity ammunition feeding device--

(A) means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device manufactured after the date of enactment of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition; but

(B) does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition..

(c) PENALTY- Section 924(a)(1)(B) of title 18, United States Code, as amended by section 2(c), is amended by striking or (v) and inserting (v), or (w).

(d) IDENTIFICATION MARKINGS FOR LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICES- Section 923(i) of title 18, United States Code, as amended by section 2(d), is amended by adding at the end the following: A large capacity ammunition feeding device manufactured after the date of the enactment of this sentence shall be identified by a serial number that clearly shows that the device was manufactured or imported after the effective date of this subsection, and such other identification as the Attorney General may by regulation prescribe..

SEC. 4. STUDY BY ATTORNEY GENERAL.

(a) STUDY- The Attorney General shall investigate and study the effect of this Act and the amendments made by this Act, and in particular shall determine their impact, if any, on violent and drug trafficking crime. The study shall be conducted over a period of 18 months, commencing 12 months after the date of enactment of this Act.

(b) REPORT- Not later than 30 months after the date of enactment of this Act, the Attorney General shall prepare and submit to the Congress a report setting forth in detail the findings and determinations made in the study under subsection (a).

SEC. 5. EFFECTIVE DATE.

This Act and the amendments made by this Act--

(1) shall take effect on the date of the enactment of this Act; and

(2) are repealed effective as of the date that is 10 years after that date.

SEC. 6. APPENDIX A TO SECTION 922 OF TITLE 18.

Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following appendix:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
At least it doesn't ban gonkulators. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Guess he didn't read Heller

These things are in common usage
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Kirk is either a disposable representative or a puppet of Daley-Blogevich.  I bet on the puppet.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Ratings

Kirk received a 75% approval rating in 2006, after a 39% approval rating in 2005, from the League of Conservation Voters, a group that assesses the environmental records of Congressmen.[7]. He received an A from Illinois Citizens Against Handgun Violence. Kirk was endorsed in 2006 by the Human Rights Campaign, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, Planned Parenthood (In their 2006 ratings, Kirk was the only Republican to receive a rating of 100% from Planned Parenthood in either house, making him the most pro-choice Republican in congress) the Jewish Political Alliance of Illinois and JAC PAC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Kirk

He represents the 10th district, which is Highland Park (North side of Chicago) IL.

Now you know all you need to know about this scumbag.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Nick1911

• Administrator
Isn't this unconstitutional under Heller?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Sounds like it's not just re-authorization, but a stricter bill, since it looks like it limits magazines to 5 rounds instead of 10.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Five rounds?  Why don't they just ban repeaters, and have done with it?  Huh?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
It is dated on the 12th.  Before the Heller decision.  I don't think it is going anywhere this term.  Too close to an election.

Plus with the Heller decision it should be unconstitutional.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

longeyes

• friend
What, you thought The Eternal Battle was over?

It will NEVER be over.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
It is dated on the 12th.

Ah yes, reading comprehension is helpful. Smiley

I reckon the antis had (have) a bunch of stuff lined up and ready to implement if Heller went their way, much like pro gun groups did with stuff like suing Chicago.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Noted as an exemption to the proposed bill:
(C) the possession, by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving a firearm, of a semiautomatic assault weapon transferred to the individual by the agency upon such retirement;
A chicago politician elevating retired cops to special citizen status. Who'da thunk it? And doesn't the constitution prohibit creating special classes of citizen? Huh?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Nick1911

• Administrator
In an effort to make the streets of Chicago safer; I propose that we liter the streets with FP-45 Liberator pistols.  Because that would do a whole heck of a lot more in the name of safety then this legislation would!

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
Mr. KIRK (for himself, Mr. CASTLE, Mr. FERGUSON, and Mr. SHAYS) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

The others named in the Bill are also Republicans.  Anyone know anything about them?

Isn't this unconstitutional under Heller?

Most likely, but the Constitution has never dissuaded Congress from passing this kind of stuff in the past.  Helleralso leaves some room for regulation, so we will see.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Bigjake

• friend
Not this *expletive deleted*it again.....

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Thats true steve.

However, being an individual right to own and use for commonly held legal purposes, we are protected in that right.

Regulation that infringes on that to the point it creates a de facto ban would be unconstitutional.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Manedwolf

• friend
Not this *expletive deleted*it again.....

It is their obsession. And it probably will be until the Supremes take this often-revised tired piece of garbage and put it in the shredder, which is why it is so vitally important that the next president be one who is more likely to put conservatives in the court.

HankB

• friend
At least one more "Republican," Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) has also signed on.  angry

I recently received a request for funds from the RNC . . . I returned it saying that as long as Republicans were introducing legislation hostile to the GOP base such as HR6257, I was going to withhold my donations as that was the only way to be certain that not one red cent of MY money would help, directly or indirectly, people such as this bill's sponsors.

I don't expect a response.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
At least one more "Republican," Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) has also signed on.  angry

What? I thought she never got involved with national politics. We used to call her (R)-Cuba.

alex_trebek

• friend
I was reading over this bill, and started wondering how much time/money bills like this cost congress/the public.  I mean even if this has cost only 5 minutes of congressional time, that is 5 minutes spent on something trivial.  I think most know that this won't go anywhere, HR 1022 is still in committee and it is essentially the same as this one.  So I started thinking.....

Why don't they pass a limit on the amount/kind of bills that can be written?  Maybe with a penalty for bills that don't go anywhere.  Maybe a limit on the amount of bills that can be proposed, or if congressperson X writes Y amount of "waste" bills then there is a fine of Z amount per each bill over the limit.  Maybe that would keep them working on more important issues.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
I mean even if this has cost only 5 minutes of congressional time, that is 5 minutes spent on something trivial.  I think most know that this won't go anywhere, HR 1022 is still in committee and it is essentially the same as this one. 

Be glad congress is wasting time on trivial things that'll never be passed.  Every minute they waste is a minute that they aren't spending interfering with your life or ruining your country.

alex_trebek

• friend
Be glad congress is wasting time on trivial things that'll never be passed.  Every minute they waste is a minute that they aren't spending interfering with your life or ruining your country.

touche sir

Bigjake

• friend

when you put it like that, I'm friggin thrilled congress had taken it upon themselves to mess with professional sports.  grin