Author Topic: Bees Trap Woman, Kill Her Dog  (Read 4671 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Bees Trap Woman, Kill Her Dog
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 10:26:37 AM »
I took him to the vet who treated him for a few days and said he'd have been better off being bitten by a rattlesnake than having the hundreds of bee stings he got

If a dog is bit by a snake, it will suck out the venom after pulling it's fur out from around the bite site.

Old wive's tale.  Snake venom metabolizes into the bloodstream almost instantly.  The dog will bite at the wound to relieve the pain and itching.  What little venom that might be removed is inconsequential compared to the amount that has made it into the surrounding tissues.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 10:50:39 AM »
You know, I read that article three times and it's still a bit confusing?

The title says a dog died, but in the body it mentions that one was stung to the point of being critical - but recovering elsewhere(vets?), and the lab jumped into the pond to escape.  That's two dogs, as mentioned in the article, neither dead(though one's not in good shape).

So, is there a dead dog or not?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 10:53:35 AM »
You know, I read that article three times and it's still a bit confusing

Well, that's "journalism" for you ...  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 12:29:30 PM »
Seemed clear to me. 3 dogs; a lab who escaped mostly unscathed from jumping into a pond, a boxer who was badly stung but recovered, and an old cocker who died.

As to the "I'd just grab it" people..... it's unlikely any of us would have the correct protective gear handy. I suppose boots, jeans, a jacket, and a balaclava under a full face motorcycle helmet might work. But you'd have to assemble all that, then duct tape the cuffs and joints to ensure no bees could crawl under. By the time you did all that the dogs are pretty much screwed anyway.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

taurusowner

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2008, 12:31:30 PM »
As long as you've got the helmet, you might as well put the leathers on too.  I'm not sure pants alone are thick enough.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2008, 05:49:05 PM »
the problem is the first sting marks you with the "bullseye" phermone. bad with regular bees. fubar with africanized bees.they will pursue you a long way. when you open door anf get first sting you will bring thousands in with you and the dog. i think i might try grabbing mutt throwing it in chest freezer while i hosed my self with wasp spray then showered before grabbing dog with hopefully inert by now bees. this thread made me buy some big co2 extinguishers today
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I