Author Topic: My God. The Media is turning this into a Bush lynching.  (Read 9887 times)

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

My God. The Media is turning this into a Bush lynching.
« on: September 02, 2005, 01:53:56 PM »
The news on every channel tonight (with the possible exception of Fox) is turning this into an inquisition on "WHY is it taking so long?"  "Why isn't the Bush administration responding?"

I am so disgusted that I can hardly hold down my lunch.

This is the biggest disaster the U.S. has ever experienced, the response has been immediate and dramatic, despite  shots being fired at the rescuers.  

The N.O. Mayor is flailing around looking for someone to blame.

And now, it's George Dubya's and the Republicans' fault.

I'm sick.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 02:11:46 PM »
He should have followed Canute's lead.

Bet it would have worked this time.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 02:41:08 PM »
Not only is it Bush's fault but it's the fault of white people everywhere.  At least Jesse Jackson thinks so.  Charlie Rangel, on the other hand, places the blame directly ar the President's feet.  It's crap like this that makes me feel so little sympathy.  Well, that and the fact that NO was built in a bowl...under sea-level.  I guess it's easier to blame white people than it is to blame the black mayor or even the black police commissioner.

The Victims
From Margins of Society to Center of the Tragedy

By DAVID GONZALEZ
Published: September 2, 2005

The scenes of floating corpses, scavengers fighting for food and desperate throngs seeking any way out of New Orleans have been tragic enough. But for many African-American leaders, there is a growing outrage that many of those still stuck at the center of this tragedy were people who for generations had been pushed to the margins of society.

The victims, they note, were largely black and poor, those who toiled in the background of the tourist havens, living in tumbledown neighborhoods that were long known to be vulnerable to disaster if the levees failed. Without so much as a car or bus fare to escape ahead of time, they found themselves left behind by a failure to plan for their rescue should the dreaded day ever arrive.

"If you know that terror is approaching in terms of hurricanes, and you've already seen the damage they've done in Florida and elsewhere, what in God's name were you thinking?" said the Rev. Calvin O. Butts III, pastor of Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem. "I think a lot of it has to do with race and class. The people affected were largely poor people. Poor, black people."

In the days since neighborhoods and towns along the Gulf Coast were wiped out by the winds and water, there has been a growing sense that race and class are the unspoken markers of who got out and who got stuck. Just as in developing countries where the failures of rural development policies become glaringly clear at times of natural disasters like floods or drought, many national leaders said, some of the United States' poorest cities have been left vulnerable by federal policies.

"No one would have checked on a lot of the black people in these parishes while the sun shined," said Mayor Milton D. Tutwiler of Winstonville, Miss. "So am I surprised that no one has come to help us now? No."

The subject is roiling black-oriented Web sites and message boards, and many black officials say it is a prime subject of conversation around the country. Some African-Americans have described the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina as "our tsunami," while noting that there has yet to be a response equal to that which followed the Asian tragedy.

Roosevelt F. Dorn, the mayor of Inglewood, Calif., and the president of the National Association of Black Mayors, said relief and rescue officials needed to act faster.

"I have a list of black mayors in Mississippi and Alabama who are crying out for help," Mr. Dorn said. "Their cities are gone and they are in despair. And no one has answered their cries."

The Rev. Jesse Jackson said cities had been dismissed by the Bush administration because Mr. Bush received few urban votes.

"Many black people feel that their race, their property conditions and their voting patterns have been a factor in the response," Mr. Jackson said, after meeting with Louisiana officials yesterday. "I'm not saying that myself, but what's self-evident is that you have many poor people without a way out."

In New Orleans, the disaster's impact underscores the intersection of race and class in a city where fully two-thirds of its residents are black and more than a quarter of the city lives in poverty. In the Lower Ninth Ward neighborhood, which was inundated by the floodwaters, more than 98 percent of the residents are black and more than a third live in poverty.

Spencer R. Crew, president and chief executive officer of the national Underground Railroad Freedom Center in Cincinnati, said the aftermath of the hurricane would force people to confront inequality.

"Most cities have a hidden or not always talked about poor population, black and white, and most of the time we look past them," Dr. Crew said. "This is a moment in time when we can't look past them. Their plight is coming to the forefront now. They were the ones less able to hop in a car and less able to drive off."

That disparity has been criticized as a "disgrace" by Charles B. Rangel, the senior Democratic congressman from New York City, who said it was made all the worse by the failure of government officials to have planned.

"I assume the president's going to say he got bad intelligence, Mr. Rangel said, adding that the danger to the levees was clear.

"I think that wherever you see poverty, whether it's in the white rural community or the black urban community, you see that the resources have been sucked up into the war and tax cuts for the rich," he said.

Outside Brooklyn Law School yesterday, a man selling recordings of famous African-Americans was upset at the failure to have prepared for the worst. The man, who said his name was Muhammad Ali, drew a damning conclusion about the failure to protect New Orleans.

"Blacks ain't worth it," he said. "New Orleans is a hopeless case."

Among the messages and essays circulating in cyberspace that lament the lost lives and missed opportunities is one by Mark Naison, a white professor of African-American Studies at Fordham University in the Bronx.

"Is this what the pioneers of the civil rights movement fought to achieve, a society where many black people are as trapped and isolated by their poverty as they were by segregation laws?" Mr. Naison wrote. "If Sept. 11 showed the power of a nation united in response to a devastating attack, Hurricane Katrina reveals the fault lines of a region and a nation, rent by profound social divisions."

That sentiment was shared by members of other minority groups who understand the bizarre equality of poverty.

"We tend to think of natural disasters as somehow even-handed, as somehow random," said Martín Espada, an English professor at the University of Massachusetts and poet of a decidedly leftist political bent who is Puerto Rican. "Yet it has always been thus: poor people are in danger. That is what it means to be poor. It's dangerous to be poor. It's dangerous to be black. It's dangerous to be Latino."

This Sunday there will be prayers. In pews from the Gulf Coast to the Northeast, the faithful will come together and pray for those who lived and those who died. They will seek to understand something that has yet to be fully comprehended.

Some may talk of a divine hand behind all of this. But others have already noted the absence of a human one.

"Everything is God's will," said Charles Steele Jr., the president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in Atlanta. "But there's a certain amount of common sense that God gives to individuals to prepare for certain things."

That means, Mr. Steele said, not waiting until the eve of crisis.

"Most of the people that live in the neighborhoods that were most vulnerable are black and poor," he said. "So it comes down to a lack of sensitivity on the part of people in Washington that you need to help poor folks. It's as simple as that."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/02/national/nationalspecial/02discrim.html?hp&ex=1125720000&en=9ce372bd33f25d06&ei=5094&partner=homepage
http://www.americanthinker.com/articles.php?article_id=4785
Emphasis added to illustrate that Rangel is a complete moron.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 02:50:24 PM »
I just watched the NBC news and it's worse than that. I found out that somehow Bush has made some of the evacuees in Texas upset. Apparently they aren't as comfortable as they feel they should be, the food isn't great, and it's taking a long time to sort out where their realitives are. I didn't think Bush would sabotage the effort in his own state, but there it is. I might watch tomorrow to find out how Bush strengthed Katrina before it hit, thereby affecting Democrates disproportionally.

Sarcasm aside, I think NBC either lied or exagerated about several facts in their broadcast and each time it was to sensationalize the tragedy. So I think I'll go back to reading the news.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 04:01:52 PM »
Yep.  I forget how if Kerry were President, that everyone would be evacuated, the city would be dried and the residents would have all the filet mingon and white wine that they wanted.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 05:56:56 PM »
Bread and Games
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 05:58:27 PM »
Heck. Kerry would have passed a law against that hurricane in the first place.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 06:09:12 PM »
Tsk, tsk, jefnvk....
Everyone knows, RED wine with red meat. Everyone with gold teefs knows dat.

Why must these yahoos play the race card at every available opportunity?
Rev. Butts from Harlem? Yeah, he's got a handle on what's happening in NO. Right.

Idiots.

Zundfolge

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 08:46:15 PM »
Quote from: jefnvk
Yep.  I forget how if Kerry were President, that everyone would be evacuated, the city would be dried and the residents would have all the filet mingon and white wine that they wanted.
White wine with Fliet Mignon!!??

I knew that Kerry was a philistine! Shocked

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 09:45:52 PM »
If Bush had any intention of bulling us out of Iraq, he could use "the disaster st home" as a way to do it without losing face.  It'd make him look like a hero, in fact.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 10:01:57 PM »
If you can't tell, I'm not exactly the upscale type person Wink

I'd rather have two steaks than steak and wine Cheesy
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 11:30:59 PM »
Quote from: Zundfolge
Quote from: jefnvk
White wine with Fliet Mignon!!??

I knew that Kerry was a philistine! Shocked
I always have butter and garlic sauteed prawns with my Filet Mingon.

Course i just drink beer with it :-p

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2005, 05:02:11 AM »
If Bush had any intention of bulling us out of Iraq, he could use "the disaster st home" as a way to do it without losing face.  It'd make him look like a hero, in fact.
ROFL!  Are you serious?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 05:05:54 AM »
Hey, Rev. Jesse, why can't you use this opportunity to urge "your people" to self-reliance instead of reinforcing the racist image of Blacks as lazy welfare cases who are dependent on others?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 05:35:56 AM »
It's all Rich Galen's fault!

Mullings:  An American Cyber-Column
Friday  September 02, 2005
Its All My Fault
by Rich Galen

"   Let me make this clear:  Everything which has happened as the result of Hurricane Katrina is my fault.  Mine.  Alone.  No one elses.  Stop wasting energy pointing fingers and put your hands to work helping out.  It was me.  Got it?

"   I was a United States Senator from Louisiana in 2001 when the levee at Lake Pontchartrain was declared unsafe and I didnt have enough clout with my Senatorial brethren to get sufficient money appropriated to fix it.  It was my fault.

"   Notwithstanding my failure on that front, according to wire services:
In a telephone interview with reporters, corps officials said that & the levees near Lake Pontchartrain that gave way & were completed and in good condition before the hurricane.
However, they noted that the levees were designed for a Category 3 hurricane and couldn't handle the ferocious winds and raging waters from Hurricane Katrina, a Category 4 storm when it hit the coastline. The decision to build levees for a Category 3 hurricane was made based on a cost-benefit analysis in the 1960s. 

"   Oh. I almost forgot.  I was the Commander-in-Chief of all United States Armed Forces in the 1960s which includes the Corps of Engineers.  The cost-benefit analysis?  My fault.

"   It is my fault that, as the Governor of Louisiana, I didnt foresee the need to have enough Louisiana National Guard troops  the vast majority of whom are NOT currently in Iraq, or Afghanistan or, for that matter, Indiana  pre-positioned and ready to preserve order.

"   I, frankly, forgot that there is a portion of the population which will steal anything from anyone given any opportunity and then will blame it on me because I didnt  in spite of ample warnings by sociologists from large Eastern Universities - foresee the need to have 27 flat-screen television sets available to every family in the New Orleans city limits as soon as the electricity went out.  That one WAS my bad.

"   It is my fault that, as Mayor of New Orleans, I was boogying down Bourbon Street the night before the hurricane hit rather than being where I should have been  on the roof of the Superdome putting in extra roofing nails to hold the roof on.

"   As the architect of the Superdome it was my fault for claiming that the Dome could survive 200 mile-per-hour winds.  It couldnt even handle a relatively gentle160 mile-per-hour zephyr.  Strap me to my drafting table and set me adrift.

"   Global warming?  My fault.  Despite the fact that nearly every serious climatologist in America has stated over and over again that there is no clear evidence tying human-generated greenhouse gasses to global warming, and even if there were, there is no evidence tying global warming to hurricanes in the Atlantic basin, I was opposed to the Kyoto treaty and so it is my fault.

"   It is also my fault that during the administration of Bill Clinton the US Senate rejected the terms of the Kyoto protocols by a vote of 95-0.  That would be zero, zilch, nada, nil, bupkis.

"   As the Grand Poohbah in Charge of all TV Coverage, it is my fault that there is constant video of looters and almost none of humanitarian activities.  I am the person who issued the statement:  No more rescue footage UNLESS the person rescued complains about how long they had to wait or, if he shoots at the rescuers.

"   And, finally, as Chairman of the National Association of Gasoline Producers it is my fault that I had the bad judgment to put so much of my drilling, refining and transportation assets in a hurricane-prone area like the Caribbean basin.  What&was&I&thinking?

"   If I could re-do that whole thing, I would have put all that equipment in Lake Erie and Lake Michigan.  There may not be any oil there, but hurricanes are very rare.

"   So.  There you have it.  Everything that has happened is my fault.  

"   Now.  Shut up and help.

-- END   http://mullings.com/

Sean Smith

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2005, 05:40:31 AM »
Quote from: El Tejon
Hey, Rev. Jesse, why can't you use this opportunity to urge "your people" to self-reliance instead of reinforcing the racist image of Blacks as lazy welfare cases who are dependent on others?
Or just to not shoot at aid workers, hospitals, rescue helicopters, emergency supply deliveries...

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2005, 04:48:20 PM »
I am interested to see all the theories why the hurricane happened:

1) It happened as punishment because Amerca is an immoral place and NO typifies that.
2) It happened because America is pursuing an unjust war in Iraq
3) It happened because America sided with Sharon in removing settlements from Gaza (this was serious btw).
Any others?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2005, 05:19:56 PM »

1) It happened as punishment because Amerca is an immoral place and NO typifies that.
3) It happened because America sided with Sharon in removing settlements from Gaza (this was serious btw).
Any others?
I've heard all of those just listening to talk radio, plus one guy that thought it was just for electing "this bozo" (Bush).  I decided that kind of inanity was a judgement on me for my sins.

Rabbi, why are my fundamentalist Christian brethren more absolutist on Israeli land boundaries than American Jews seem to be?  Or is that just my perception?

Warbow

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2005, 05:28:31 PM »
Quote from: The Rabbi

Any others?
I read number 2 in an article. It was a South Korean woman who wished to remain anonymous because her supervisor was American. But, she said exactly number 2 -- she also said her coworkers agreed.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2005, 05:43:26 PM »
Rabbi, why are my fundamentalist Christian brethren more absolutist on Israeli land boundaries than American Jews seem to be?  Or is that just my perception?
1) Ignorance.
2) They're not the ones there.

To expound a little: Gaza was probably never part of the Land of Israel.  Parts of Lebanon certainly were but I didnt see any gnashing of teeth when Israel wanted to withdraw.
But that is off-topic.  I would be happy to post/forward an email I got from "Women in Green" that says exactly that Katrina was punishment for supporting the pullout.  Unbelievable.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2005, 07:31:23 PM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
 I would be happy to post/forward an email I got from "Women in Green" that says exactly that Katrina was punishment for supporting the pullout.  Unbelievable.
Don't post it on my account.  I've been hearing that all week from my local, off-the-deep-end Christian radio station.

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2005, 08:52:52 PM »
I think its very interesting that there are theories as to "WHY" a hurricane happened.

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2005, 08:58:10 PM »
you mean in addition to areas of high and low pressure meeting over warm seas?
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2005, 08:17:58 AM »
You all are wrong so far.  It's Bush's fault.  End of story.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2005, 10:08:03 AM »
I wonder if the buses, New Orleans School buses, that are underwater now, that could have been used to evac thousands of people, I wonder if that is W's fault.  I wonder, is there any fault on the Mayor, the Governor, for poor, very poor planning.  I wonder who shot the folks in New Orleans that stayed with the "i am dumber than a house plant gun".  This is not W's fault.  In any way, shape of form.  Hell, didnt W declare a National Disaster before Katrina hit.  

I tell ya, I am getting so tired of Liberal and Democrats.  Very tired to the point that I dont care about them anyh longer, dont care to be kind to them, dont care to try to explain to them things that go over their heads.  I Just dont get it, you live in an area that you know a storm like this could hit, at any time, yet you dont have an evac plan.  I dont care if you poor, have no transportation, you must have a get the hell out of dodge plan.  I have no sympathy for most of the folks in New Orleans.