Author Topic: Obama talks of sacrifice and national service  (Read 13968 times)

HankB

• friend
Obama talks of sacrifice and national service
« on: July 03, 2008, 03:30:05 AM »
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/washingtondc/la-na-obama3-2008jul03,0,7079248.story

COLORADO SPRINGS, COLO. -- On day three of a campaign swing meant to showcase his values, Barack Obama spoke about the importance of national service . . . An Obama campaign theme is that more Americans need to sacrifice for neighborhood and country.

I guess Obama never read Ayn Rand. (Or worse, maybe he did.  shocked )

Quote from: Ayn Rand
It stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there is service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Re: Obama talks of sacrifice and national service
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 03:33:07 AM »
Forget it, Barry, I've heard you and Michelle talk of your termite mound society.

You can count me out. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 03:39:55 AM »
Says the guy who is part of the wine-tasting crowd, who lives in a Chicago mansion he got through a Mob bagman.

Also: What?
A new piece of Obama's plan, described Wednesday, involves training veterans for jobs in industries devoted to renewable energy sources. Obama aides said they could not yet estimate the cost of his so-called Green Vet initiative.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 04:05:41 AM »
Forget it, Barry, I've heard you and Michelle talk of your termite mound society.

You can count me out. grin

Don't be so harsh, El Tejon. They're just trying to prepare us for our eventual insect overlords. smiley

Says the guy who is part of the wine-tasting crowd, who lives in a Chicago mansion he got through a Mob bagman.

Yet another glaring example of that "don't do what I do, do what I say do" mentality common to those who believe they're your betters.

Back to the OP, that chilling correlation needs to be shouted from the rooftops.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 04:09:05 AM »

Yet another glaring example of that "don't do what I do, do what I say do" mentality common to those who believe they're your betters.

What's worse is that leftists have no problem with that!

Obama and ALGORE and Edwards are Plato's philosopher-kings who know better than the helpless masses, and they're entitled to their palaces. They are honestly okay with it!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 04:11:24 AM »
Everybody needs to read Mises' "Anti-Capitalist Mentality".

There's a reason that this sort of crap appeals to 'intellectual' types.

It's because at the heart of the Progressive mentality is the idea is that the average human being is a Homer Simpson look-alike. He's not really very bright and needs to be taken care of - and once these people think "needs to be taken care of", they assume they're the ones that are going to be doing all the caring.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 04:22:06 AM »

I guess Obama never read Ayn Rand. (Or worse, maybe he did.  shocked )

If the junior Senator from Illinois is anything like the senior Senator from Illinois, he considers Ayn Rand to be a revolutionary fomenter of economic and physical terrorism.

I don't make a habit of watching CSPAN, but I had it on one day a couple of years ago and Dick Durbin was growling on the screen about how our soldiers are terrorists and our president is enthralled to the Federalist Society.  He went off on some anti-Objectivist rant (actually mentioning Rand and Objectivism) for about 15 minutes.  I was agape in horror that this man had any influence whatsoever over my life.

Found myself wanting to team up with John Galt. angry
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 04:23:59 AM »
If the junior Senator from Illinois is anything like the senior Senator from Illinois, he considers Ayn Rand to be a revolutionary fomenter of economic and physical terrorism.

You mean like his friend William Ayers?

Archie

• friend
  • Galactic Effectuator
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 04:53:30 AM »
Senator speaking about 'sacrifice and national service'?

I wonder where he went to watch it?  Or do you reckon he read about it somewhere?
As long as the citizens of the United States own and keep personal weapons, we can argue about all the other issues that concern us.  The instant we lose the ability to keep weapons, our masters will decide all those other issues for us.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 04:56:36 AM »
Maybe that's why President Obama's short list for the next chairman of the Fed would probably include Bernie Sanders and Dennis Kucinich.  shocked
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 04:58:12 AM »
Watch carefully when he lists methods of national service, too. He never mentions serving in the military.

gator

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 02:03:48 PM »
This Obama quote from his "Service Speech" scares the c@#p out of me.

"We cannot to continue to rely only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we have set. We have got to have a civilian national security force that is just as powerful, just as strong, just as well funded."

What is he asking for, a private army?  What color shirts will he give them; red, black, brown?  What a fascist idea!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 03:52:38 PM »
This Obama quote from his "Service Speech" scares the c@#p out of me.

"We cannot to continue to rely only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we have set. We have got to have a civilian national security force that is just as powerful, just as strong, just as well funded."

What is he asking for, a private army?  What color shirts will he give them; red, black, brown?  What a fascist idea!

Civilian national security force? What, you mean like the Swiss, where all able-bodied men keep a full-auto at home? Or the original idea of a state militia?

I'd be all for the latter, but I know he's not talking about that! I'm sure he'd rather have groups of handpicked people who have no trouble keeping the Common Folk in line. In other words, he wants the Chicago PD, on a national level.

Screw that.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 05:45:37 PM »
Ah.  The People's Army, with sworn allegiance to the Emperor?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 05:49:32 PM »
What color shirts will he give them; red, black, brown?
Green.

I don't even want to think how much this crap would cost... the Pentagon already takes up a massive amount of money. If you want to create another group "just as well funded"...

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 05:52:51 PM »
So does Obama smoke or not? If he does, maybe we can hire a vet to capture the heat from his cigarettes and transform it into collective energy for the masses to transport themselves into an even stupider society than one we already have.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 07:43:26 PM »
Anybody see a transcript of that speech out there? I want to see the context of that civilian national security force thing. Pretty damn scary quote.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 09:57:08 PM »

Translation: I'll create a National Police to deal with our enemies within.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 03:00:57 AM »
So does Obama smoke or not?

Yes, Obama is a smoker.  That's how I met him.  He was out smoking on the deck of his condo.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 04:23:43 AM »
Oh Lord, no! Think of the poor tobacco plants and their feelings! shocked
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 03:16:44 PM »

Translation: I'll create a National Police to deal with our enemies within.

Oh. Hell. No.

I will not be dragged away in the middle of the night by Obama's New Gestapo.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 03:33:59 PM »
"We have got to have a civilian national security force that is just as powerful, just as strong, just as well funded."

Dear Mr. Obama,
We already have that force and the SCOTUS just reaffirmed the Second Amendment which describes and makes that force viable.  Too bad you missed that one.
Oh, and as for well funded, I'll take abou5t $5000.00 a year to keep me in proper weaponry and ammo.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 04:35:04 PM »
I was doing a quick search to see if I could find more on this quote about a civilian national security force.  I found threads on AR15.com, free republic, and another site I didn't know.  All just had that one line quote.  Anyone else found anything?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 10:12:09 AM »
I guess since nothing ever came of that quote that no one could find a link to back it up?  Just curious.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 10:23:45 AM »
I read about it in either the print edition of National Review or at the web site as part of a larger character sketch of BHO.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton