Author Topic: Obama talks of sacrifice and national service  (Read 13966 times)

Marvin Dao

Re: Obama talks of sacrifice and national service
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 10:44:19 AM »
I guess since nothing ever came of that quote that no one could find a link to back it up?  Just curious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df2p6867_pw

See there. Supposedly around 16:30 or so, though I haven't been able to verify it myself since I don't have sound at work. I've been looking around for that quip too and it isn't in the transcript (below) I've found of that speech. It's almost certainly one of his characteristically foot in mouth improvised lines.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/02/text-obamas-speech/

JN01

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 03:46:45 PM »
Appears in the clip at 16:40, he is talking about expanding the Peace Corps to the same level as the US Military.  What a great use of tax dollars. angry

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 02:40:50 AM »
Okay, i see the context.  He was essentially saying we need to fund a civilian national security force to go out into the world and hold hands and sing Kumbaya and be friends with everyone. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 04:55:56 AM »
Obama is a missionary Marxist.

I think when the "kids" find out that Obama wants to conscript them, even for "a good cause," they are going to balk.  Spending two years in a foreign hardship post sounds good and romantic when you're text-messaging in suburbia driving to the mall but I really doubt today's young'uns are going to get behind it.  They will want the same people who do their fighting for them to take care of it.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 06:40:40 AM »
Ya know?  Time and time again O'Bama comes up with nonsense so similar to Jimmuh Carter it is flat out scary. 

Carter deep in the bowels of of the energy crisis seriously considered the following plan
--Unemployment is far too high
--We need a way to employ more people
--Too many of the unemployed are the "poor"
--Americans are energy hogs and spend too much on energy
--High percentage of the energy is wasted in heating and cooling houses

Eureka !

We can solve two problems by creating a corp of thermostat inspectors by hiring the unemployed poor types, give them a nice uniform and a clip board, empower them to enter private residences to monitor thermostat settings.  If it was determined the thermostat had been manipulated the inspector could fine the homeowner on the spot.

I have to pinch myself periodically.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

HankB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2008, 07:49:40 AM »
. . . when the "kids" find out that Obama wants to conscript them, even for "a good cause," they are going to balk.  Spending two years in a foreign hardship post sounds good and romantic when you're text-messaging in suburbia driving to the mall but I really doubt today's young'uns are going to get behind it.
And when they get back, they'll get to benefit from Obamacare - the socialized medical plan Obama is pushing - and they'll get to enjoy government treatment for the various diseases and parasites they picked up during a two year stint in some turd world dungheap.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2008, 08:18:47 AM »
I can see the brats being sent to third-world jungle outposts.

"But there's no Starbucks!"
"The water from the well is brown. That's close enough."

"Why does the guard of the camp have an icky gun?"
"In case the dictator's rape squads come here."

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2008, 08:20:48 AM »

Can we send a camera team with them and document all the drama?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2008, 08:28:35 AM »

Can we send a camera team with them and document all the drama?

It wouldn't work. Betacam SP has a maximum whining limit.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2008, 02:31:30 PM »
Ya know?  Time and time again O'Bama comes up with nonsense so similar to Jimmuh Carter it is flat out scary. 

Carter deep in the bowels of of the energy crisis seriously considered the following plan
--Unemployment is far too high
--We need a way to employ more people
--Too many of the unemployed are the "poor"
--Americans are energy hogs and spend too much on energy
--High percentage of the energy is wasted in heating and cooling houses

Eureka !

We can solve two problems by creating a corp of thermostat inspectors by hiring the unemployed poor types, give them a nice uniform and a clip board, empower them to enter private residences to monitor thermostat settings.  If it was determined the thermostat had been manipulated the inspector could fine the homeowner on the spot.

I have to pinch myself periodically.

Ya know, I'm not too sure many of those "thermostat inspectors" would have survived the winter...

I know I'd have taken SERIOUS exception to some government bean counter trying to shove his way into my house and tell me where I can set my thermostat  (not that it's ever above the lowest setting anyway;  I'm a cheap bastard, and blankets and coats I already have don't cost me anything). 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2008, 09:46:42 PM »
In fact in California they are pushing for remote control of your home thermostat.

One more brick in the wall...
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2008, 11:14:14 PM »
In fact in California they are pushing for remote control of your home thermostat.

One more brick in the wall...

Which is why I will never move to the state of California. 

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2008, 12:29:08 AM »
I know I'd have taken SERIOUS exception to some government bean counter trying to shove his way into my house and tell me where I can set my thermostat  (not that it's ever above the lowest setting anyway;  I'm a cheap bastard, and blankets and coats I already have don't cost me anything).

A few more rounds of nominating 'moderate, electable candidates' and then voting for the lesser evil, and people will be thanking the government that they're only sending one thermostat inspector per month.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2008, 01:13:44 AM »

A few more rounds of nominating 'moderate, electable candidates' and then voting for the lesser evil, and people will be thanking the government that they're only sending one thermostat inspector per month.

Or we can give up and let a hard leftist in, just to prove our damn point, and have them RIGHT NOW instead of 10-15 years down the road. Yeah, that's a good idea.   rolleyes

I'm sorry, but it's easier to fix something if you have a longer period of time to work on it.  Delaying while you figure out how to clean up this mess we're in is better than caving and then hoping(TMBarack Hussein Obama) that by some miracle another Ronald Reagan is just waiting in the wings to lead us out of this mess to the promised land, or that the majority of Americans will wake up to smell the Libertarian kool-aid.  Neither is likely to happen; what is MORE likely to happen is that we will be stuck with whatever disaster BHO creates for decades to come, if not longer. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2008, 05:00:02 AM »
A morning radio show brought up the "civilian security force" comment.  They were making a bigger deal about the fact that a few of the major news outlets removed the comment from the transcript. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2008, 09:49:30 AM »
"We cannot to continue to rely only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we have set. We have got to have a civilian national security force that is just as powerful, just as strong, just as well funded."

Translation: I'll create a National Police to deal with our enemies within.

That's pretty much what it sounds like to me too...

Just read the rest of the thread... A US Army sized peace corps funded at the same level - almost as scary.

Fortunately probably not do able. Where's he gonna find the volunteers to man it? How's he gonna fund it?

The guy lives in a freakin' dream world.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2008, 10:06:44 AM »
How's he gonna fund it?

Did you really have to even ask? You know what the answer is.

RAISE TAXES

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2008, 01:07:44 PM »
How's he gonna fund it?

Did you really have to even ask? You know what the answer is.

RAISE TAXES
Oh... I knew that - yes indeedy.

But he'd have to raise taxes so high or increase the national debt by so much that it would surely insure his political demise. I don't think that's in the cards unless he plans for it to happen in year 8 of his term because if he did it in year 1 there for sure wouldn't be a year 5.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2008, 04:05:14 PM »
I think we need an enormous Peace Corps for all the liberals.  Once they are abroad, we lock 'em out.

Obama's model is North Korea with basketball courts.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

PremiumSauces

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2008, 08:48:04 AM »
Obama's current visit to the Middle East reminds me of this event in history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZkoKh_A5pw

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2008, 12:39:14 PM »
a) that by some miracle another Ronald Reagan is just waiting in the wings to lead us out of this mess to the promised land

Where do you think  the original Ronald Reagan came from?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2008, 04:39:16 PM »
We don't live in Reagan's America any more, folks.  The demographics are hugely different now.  The cultural givens are very different.  Reagan came in on the tail of an old America that is largely gone and probably for good unless the country splits up.  Reagan couldn't get elected today, and no future Reagans will be elected in the American that's a-borning.  I wish I didn't believe this but even a catastrophic collapse of the current invidious system wouldn't engender a Reagan, just a tsunami of warlords and government-authorized fascists.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2008, 04:52:40 PM »
Longeyes, I am tired of your Pollyana optimism!    laugh
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2008, 05:12:53 PM »
So am I. grin

I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist.  There are things we can do to preserve what's worth preserving but it's like fighting foreign wars: pick your battles carefully, be pragmatic, do what's necessary.  Don't deceive yourself about what lies around you or ahead.

The prevailing culture will have to change, radically, for what most of us here call Liberty to survive much longer.  How is that going to happen?  What are the good scenarios for constructive change? 

McCain is a good example of a non-realist.  He's got Big Media against him; they've already elected Obama.  Is McCain therefore appealing, by all means possible, with all passion possible, to that half of America that might hear a message of Liberty?  Or is he pandering?  Is he wobbly and off-message much of the time?  Does he care enough?  I've said before, I will say again: All he has to do to win is lay out for Americans what life under an Obama Presidency is going to be like for them and their children, dramatizing that scenario with specifics.   

"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2008, 05:37:51 PM »
Hey guys, I could always sacrifice Obama on the altar. The Elder Gods have been very upset lately and they...

Oh, sorry, wrong kind of sacrifice angel.