Author Topic: Katrina: Dallas, Refugees, & CCW  (Read 1868 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Katrina: Dallas, Refugees, & CCW
« on: September 04, 2005, 09:21:33 AM »

DOWNTOWN DALLAS SECURITY
Just got back from church in downtown Dallas.  Things are a wee bit tense across downtown.  If you head downtown, do not slip into condition white and be sure to pack your CCW.

Well, the Dallas City Council committed to taking in 25K of the NOLA refugees and housing them at Reunion Arena (place where the Dallas Mavericks used to play round ball).  You ever hear the line, "The sign said 'All you can eat for $1.99, but $1 worth was all that I could stand'?"  That is what happened to the city of Dallas.  After 10K refugees arrived, Dallas said, "No mas."

Why did Dallas cry, "uncle?"

When the NOLA refugee busses arrived at Reunion Arena, a sizable number of the refugees literally ran off the busses and hightailed it into downtown instead of Reunion.  If you recall, the NOLA jails & prisons have been emptied and quite a bit of looting, kidnapping, murder, raping & such has occurred.  The Dallas Police Dept and City Council think that those folks, who arrived with pretty much the clothes on their backs, are some of that type and expect them to get what they need not through relief agencies, but through the means they used in NOLA.

The representatives of the Dallas City Council have, uh, "recommended a heightened level of security" in downtown Dallas, especially in the downtown churches on Sundays.

Our Sunday School instructors gave us the lowdown after we ran the gauntlet of heightened security, which caused no small bit of consternation, especially considering one of our church's primary missions is serving the downtown and the folks who end up on the downtown streets.  I believe that our leadership took the Council at its word and is doing what it thinks necessary to keep their parishioners and those they service from harm.  This heightened security is at the main church as well as the shelters & soup kitchens the church runs.  The shelter's & kitchen's usual users are considered to be especially vulnerable.  A lot are not firing on all cylinders to begin with & are easily preyed on by more vigorous criminal types.

In the middle of the Sunday School briefing my wife nudged me & asked if I was packing.  I nodded "yes."  Hey, I had left the house, hadn't I?  Why wouldn't I be armed?

Our church, in addition to running the shelters and kitchens, is taking on the plight of the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary students & staff.  Also, we are helping out some of the refugees not located at Reunion.  These are folks who left NOLA in advance of Katrina & expected a hotel stay of 2-3 days before heading back to NOLA.

REUNION ARENA
The refugees at Reunion have their needs met.  The local charities are all over them like a bad suit.  Food, shelter, clothing are good to go.  The locals are busy helping those that can/will work to find local employment.  They are being squared away.

OTHER SITES BESIDES REUNION
Others are opening up their businesses & facilities.  One of the more prominent is the Quality Inn off of I35E.  About 250 families are currently staying there.  250 had arrived before the storm hit and another 100 got out of NOLA by the skin of their teeth.  Of these 350, 100 left to go to family & friends elsewhere in the USA.  The owners of the Quality Inn is not a parishioner anywhere.  They have decided to let the families stay free until they can find accommodations with family & friends.  My church sent some of our men there with some PCs & networking gear so that the folks could search the net for work and especially for family they could stay with.  A lot of locals are dropping off items for the families and checks for the Davidsons (owners).

Others are opening up their homes.  This is kinda risky, for all sorts of reasons.  One is that legally, inviting someone into your home to stay or giving the use of a camper leaves you in a much weaker legal position than a landlord would have if things go south.  There are other risks that ought to be faced before volunteering your home, especially if you have children.

TEXAS
The state of Texas will eventually absorb 250K (that's a "2" and a "5" followed by four zeroes).  Currently, the largest refugee location is San Antonio, because of the vacant military bases and vacant Levi manufacturing plant.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 10:04:16 AM »
One is that legally, inviting someone into your home to stay or giving the use of a camper leaves you in a much weaker legal position than a landlord would have if things go south.
Actually, it leaves you in a significantly stronger position should you wish to remove the person from your home.  Try evicting somebody in Texas sometime.  It does present some liability issues, but do remember that your liability is only as burdensome as a judge decides it is.  If your guest, a refugee from the superdome, gets popped with dope in your house, you've got a decent defense there.

I'm not saying I would do it myself, but it's not as bad as it might seem.  I'll feed and house somebody's little kids until the end of time, but adults will have to fend for themselves.

But still...  I don't care for the idea of having all these refugees concentrated in downtown.  Go drive by the Greyhound station after dark on any given night, and you'll find out why.  I'm not going to go so far as to say that all 10,000 pf these folks are worthless scumbags, but I am fairly certain that there is a much higher scum ratio in that bunch than a random sampling of 10,000 people.  This will probably not go well.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 04:07:43 PM »
The oldest kid's S.O. took in about 5 families into the apartment complex she manages- the good part is they already had family staing there. FEMA has begun processing the paperwork for them (supposedly) and has guaranteed their rent for a period of time.  Now, the girl is as choosy as she can get away with as far as determining who gets to live in her complex as far as normal times, and these folks were somewhat vetted by their relatives.  The bad news is that other apartment complexes in the area (Dallas proper) are using the situation to pump up thier flagging occupancy rates by pretty much putting out a 'free rent' sign for all intents.  If you have a name printed on a piece of paper and you say that's you, and you'll fill out the paperwork to send off to FEMA, you get a place to stay.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for lending a helping hand...we've given some money to the primary charity group.  Dallas folks have lined up all week to donate things down at Reunion, and the line of cars sometimes has been 2 miles long.  

I imagine that downtown Dallas and Oak Cliff in particular are going to be pretty weird for awhile.  Even in Longview, where the county has opened the convention center, they've issued an order for tightened security. Longview, population 70,000 or so, is crowded with evacuees/refugees, as are all the surrounding little burgs.

http://www.news-journal.com/news/content/news/stories/2005/09/05/20050905LNJEvacueesecurity.html

Oh, and yes, since I was on the road, I took the Rotowhackulous.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 06:14:45 PM »
I imagine that downtown Dallas and Oak Cliff in particular are going to be pretty weird for awhile.
I work about 2 miles  south of downtown (Lamar between 45 and MLK). I don't know if that neighborhood can get much worse.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 03:20:29 PM »
I work about 2 miles  south of downtown
Dang, what did you do to deserve that?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 05:07:18 PM »
Dang, what did you do to deserve that?
Lol. 9 1/2 years of faithful service. Believe it or not it was a 20k annual increase from my job in north dallas. Decent pay but brutal work.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 06:38:57 PM »
Didja get your "Welcome to Oak Cliff" t-shirt yet? Cheesy

...and all this time I thought you were out somewhere between Nacogdoches and Palestine...

Holler some weekend. I owe JFR a beer and I'll pick up one for you too.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 07:04:13 PM »
Didja get your "Welcome to Oak Cliff" t-shirt yet?

...and all this time I thought you were out somewhere between Nacogdoches and Palestine...

Holler some weekend. I owe JFR a beer and I'll pick up one for you too.
I don't think this neighborhood technically is in Oak Cliff. I'm not sure where the borders are, but I think this is "downtown". I know it's bad though, because the guys I work with who live in and grew up in Oak Cliff say it's bad Smiley

I don't live here though, I live about 50 miles southeast of here in farm country on C. Creek lake.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"