Author Topic: The Segway Police Strike Once More  (Read 6312 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
The Segway Police Strike Once More
« on: July 06, 2008, 02:50:40 AM »
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: The Segway Police Strike Once More
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 03:25:52 AM »
It just reminds me of this Disney character from when I was a little kid...

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 03:37:25 AM »
They all look as if they have to go pee. laugh
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 03:48:25 AM »
It's like someone made a rapid reaction force for a mall, but one that would be outmaneuvered by kids on Heely's.  I just see them reaching steps or a curb and having to break off pursuit and being mercilessly taunted.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 04:15:11 AM »
They all look as if they have to go pee. laugh

....and this is why SWAT vans should have Port-A-Pottys built in....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 04:29:01 AM »
If the muzzles were red, I'd guess that at least the guys up front were playing with some type of Airsoft . . .  police

(The guy at the far left with some sort of AK looks like he's drawing a bead on the butt of the guy at the far right . . . )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 12:35:32 PM »
(The guy at the far left with some sort of AK looks like he's drawing a bead on the butt of the guy at the far right . . . )

If you get shot and die while riding a Segway, do you still fall over?

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 01:54:31 PM »

No, your noble steed carries you straight to Valhalla, where you dine with the valiant!

Actually, you probably show up at a recharging station somewhere eventually...
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 06:47:45 PM »
mabs, great youtubage.   laugh
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

crt360

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 08:06:15 PM »

No, your noble steed carries you straight to Valhalla, where you dine with the valiant!

Actually, you probably show up at a recharging station somewhere eventually...

laugh  laugh  laugh

If I was up front, I'd be a bit worried about the cat in back with the AK hitting a pothole.
For entertainment purposes only.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 03:20:31 AM »
Yep; the Keystone cops have entered the 21st century.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 04:49:08 AM »
I was visitng my dad at the VA hospital a week ago Sunday and saw a VA cop on one. We had a brief chat about it. I came away convinced it is less silly than it looks. I think the idea of using it as an armed platform is just plain dumb though.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 07:43:44 AM »
The mall police at Paradise Valley mall here in AZ use them.  I busted up laughing when one rolled past me down the hallway.  The guard (275 pounds of old, short and rolly-polly) turned and watched me laughing at him, then kept going on his way.

At least he didn't have a .300 Winmag in a briefcase and multiple trauma plates taped to his back. grin
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 08:28:46 AM »
I came away convinced it is less silly than it looks. I think the idea of using it as an armed platform is just plain dumb though.  

Yeah, they're fast, so a cop/security can cover a lot of ground without much effort.  Still not sure how appropriate they are for law enforcement, though. 

LAK

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 02:39:03 AM »
I have tried one out; anyone riding one is the proverbial sitting duck. A great way to get fat and lazy too.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 04:22:51 AM »
I came away convinced it is less silly than it looks. I think the idea of using it as an armed platform is just plain dumb though.  

Yeah, they're fast, so a cop/security can cover a lot of ground without much effort.  Still not sure how appropriate they are for law enforcement, though. 
I thought they designed the LEO model with a donut hole-sized handlebar.  You can stack six glazed on either side!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 04:24:46 AM »

15mph is fast?

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 07:44:42 AM »

Maybe if they stuck one of those ballistic riot shields on the front, it would work......as is, I'm thinking "easy target".....

I'd kinda like one of those "Chinese Skorpion" subguns, though.....  cool
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 12:47:46 PM »

15mph is fast?

rolleyes  If you know what to compare it to, which would be someone on foot.  It's faster than a lot of people can run.  And for a security guard patrolling a mall, it's much faster than walking. 

LAK

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 02:07:11 AM »
It may be faster than a speeding Meatloaf; but anyone riding one is still a sitting duck.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 06:57:44 AM »
It may be faster than a speeding Meatloaf; but anyone riding one is still a sitting duck.
Its not an infantry fighting vehicle. It is for someone to get from point A to point B a little faster and easier than running/walking when a car is not the appropriate means.

Kind of a modern day bicycle. But when you arrive you have done no work so you are not out of breath and sweating.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 02:22:31 PM »
Well said. 

LAK

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 03:44:43 AM »
ilbob
Quote from: LAK on July 11, 2008, 07:07:11 AM

Its not an infantry fighting vehicle. It is for someone to get from point A to point B a little faster and easier than running/walking when a car is not the appropriate means.
I know what they are not, and what they are good for. As depicted in both photos posted so far - they are not good for, for the reason I pointed out.

For what they are good for, a bicycle costing but a minute fraction will do the same thing; and allow jumping curbs and other obstacles, travel off paved surfaces, and not require expensive battery packs to charge, replace etc.

And I perhaps couldn't find two more graphic examples than the two posted photos. In the first one, about the only thing a shooter might find easier targets are full torso silhouettes - as opposed to the "mere" half torso silhouettes afforded by the clowns on their elevated platforms.

And that is not even taking into account bullets deflected by the horizontal surfaces of the car. Stand on a segway, and try and make a split second jump sideways from one and you will get an idea of how ... uh .. ungraceful you are going to look falling awkwardly to the concrete when bullets start flying and you realize you are in fact a sitting duck.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2008, 09:55:47 AM »
Of course, how many here can fire a subgun while riding a bike?.....