Author Topic: Ret. Gen. Clark: McCain lacks command experience  (Read 13653 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Ret. Gen. Clark: McCain lacks command experience
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 04:50:23 AM »
I don't know what Wesley Clark's positions are on the U.S. Constitution

Well, he's anti-gun and pro wealth redistribution. I've always found people with those characteristics to be somewhat lacking in the understanding of constitutional freedoms.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 04:57:50 AM »
As I watched the news last night, I said to my wife that I'd have a lot more respect for McCain if he went on camera and told Clark to "Pound sand!"

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 05:44:04 AM »
Moderator Bob Schieffer, who raised the issue by citing similar remarks Clark has made previously, noted that Obama hadn't had those experiences nor had he ridden in a fighter plane and been shot down. "Well, I don't think riding in a fighter plane and getting shot down is a qualification to be president," Clark replied.

I don't like Clark, but Schieffer made a really moronic statement and Clark's answer was good.  Military service, in an of itself, doesn't warrant a vote from me.  I sure as Hell wouldn't vote for Clark and he has plenty of experience. 

Clark's statements just go to prove that even a blind pig finds a truffle every once in awhile....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 06:13:10 AM »
So, McCain lacks command experience...........how much command experience does Osama have?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?  chris3

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2008, 06:43:49 AM »
It's not the military per se it's the specific principles that are being upheld, defended, died for. 

A lot of very bad societies have militaries.  I'm sure Clark could find a home in one of those.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2008, 06:00:32 PM »
i find if interesting that so many military wouldn't vote for clark, especially amongst those of flag rank who knew him. kinda like not carrying your home state
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2008, 08:29:20 PM »
John McCain's military service does not automatically qualify him to be commander in chief.

Why do people keep saying things like this?  Who are they arguing with?  Has someone said that military experience is some kind of stand-alone, that's-all-you-need qualification? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2008, 04:06:25 AM »
John McCain's military service does not automatically qualify him to be commander in chief.

Why do people keep saying things like this?  Who are they arguing with?  Has someone said that military experience is some kind of stand-alone, that's-all-you-need qualification? 

Haven't you noticed?  Today's politics is not about governance, common good, national interest, securing personal liberty inter alia.  It's a juvenile, grade school exercise by petulant immature adults engaged in he said, she said and (whiney voice) Georgie did it to me, so I gotta do it to Georgie.  (More whiney voice)  he hit me first, I didn't do 'nuffin....

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2008, 06:53:34 AM »

No, but candidates have certainly used it to show it as being very important.  Kerry, for example.  McCain had a couple ads, but I don't think he has brought it up all that much, though who knows what he'll trot out in the ads to come.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2008, 06:57:14 AM »
IMO, IF everything else was even but military service I would vote with the one who has military service.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2008, 08:54:41 AM »
Politics today is nothing but marketing.  Substance doesn't matter; what matters these days is finding the right slogan, the right catchphrase, the right "hook" to get sway over the fluid minds of the masses.  We cannot expect any more adult exchanges, debates, arguments, and that is the real problem that underlies the entire political process today and the election we are facing.  There should be no voting by people who a) do not understand the issues and b) have no earned stake in America.  It is only a matter of time before the remaining grown-ups come around to that awareness.  It may take the The Terror first, though, to wake people up.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 10:42:35 AM »
I wonder what the political platter would look like if only people who owned property and had a job in the private sector with no government contracts, or was retired from a private sector job.

Wait a minute...there would only be 50 people able to vote in the next national election laugh laugh
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 11:05:16 AM »
I heard some clips from Clark on a radio show today.  Apparently he was challenged on the fact that he said the exact opposite thing when he talked about John Kerry's service 4 years ago. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2008, 04:46:17 PM »
I wonder what the political platter would look like if only people who owned property and had a job in the private sector with no government contracts, or was retired from a private sector job.

Wait a minute...there would only be 50 people able to vote in the next national election

All I know is I don't want 20-something college "kids" living off mom and dad determining how much tax I pay when I sell the house I've owned over 20 years.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2008, 05:24:38 PM »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2008, 05:48:53 PM »
I heard some clips from Clark on a radio show today.  Apparently he was challenged on the fact that he said the exact opposite thing when he talked about John Kerry's service 4 years ago. 

Yes he did.   grin 

John Kerry's combination of physical courage and moral values is my definition of what we need as Americans in our commander in chief.

John Kerry will lead America with strength and wisdom. He has the will to fight. He has the moral courage born in battle to pursue and secure a strong peace. Under John Kerry, I have no doubt -- and neither should any American -- that we are going to attack and destroy the terrorist threat to America.

My fellow Americans, Democrats are leaders, and Democrats are fighters. And John Kerry is a leader, a fighter, and he will be a great commander in chief.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/29/dems.clark.transcript/index.html
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Archie

• friend
  • Galactic Effectuator
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2008, 04:51:17 AM »
What (failed) General Clarke said, in essence is this:

John McCain was not a leader in the U. S. Navy long enough or in proper conditions to have derived 'real leadership experience'. 

On the other hand, Barack Obama communicates well and people respond well to him.

Therefore, Barack Obama's qualifications as a confidence man and snake-oil peddler are more important in the Presidency than John McCain's qualifications as a man of determination and principle.

If that's what General Clarke wants...
As long as the citizens of the United States own and keep personal weapons, we can argue about all the other issues that concern us.  The instant we lose the ability to keep weapons, our masters will decide all those other issues for us.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2008, 05:34:04 AM »
John McCain was not a leader in the U. S. Navy long enough or in proper conditions to have derived 'real leadership experience'.

I tend to concur.

General Clarke said nothing about Obama, directly, but any argument involving personal scrutiny is -- by definition -- reflexive.
Zeke

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2008, 08:57:59 AM »
Has everyone forgotten that McCain held a considerable, if informal, leadership role in the POW camps, and acquitted himself admirably under some of the worst circumstances imaginable?

I'm no McCain supporter, but I won't claim that he doesn't have any wartime leadership experience.  You'd have to be a fool or a liar to do that.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2008, 09:10:08 AM »
I would say that the fact that he managed to get out a burning jet on a carrier and then tried to help another pilot instead of running away is also a good measure of character.

Bad luck with airplanes, though!

• friends
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2008, 04:43:26 PM »
i place great importance on his commitment to the idea that he and other ofifcers not go home early from prison. putting yoiur money where your mouth is. those held prisoner with him were in a position to evaluate him under great stress.  any of em bad mouth him yet?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2008, 04:00:44 AM »

Bad luck with airplanes, though!

Agreed.....if McCain is elected, we'll need a Secret Service detachment with the sole responsibility of keeping him away from Air Force One's cockpit....  laugh

EDIT: My concerns have been addressed....... http://www.theonion.com/content/video/mccain_vows_to_replace_secret
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2008, 04:22:58 AM »
Gen. Clark ran solely on the basis of his command experience, because it was all he had to run on.  In the most innocent assessment of this, it is a case of 'when the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.'  The more likely case is that since Obama has no experience doing anything besides 'organizing communities', they will be sending out surrogates with more experience in all areas that McCain is stronger than Obama to counter the argument that experience matters.  Clark was assigned military service.  There will be others.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

• friends
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2008, 11:11:16 AM »
mccain ever have a subordinate tell him to go f himself? and make it stick?