Author Topic: DWI Arrest at 0.0 BAC  (Read 4766 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
DWI Arrest at 0.0 BAC
« on: July 08, 2008, 06:00:41 AM »
Gotta love this.

http://www.theagitator.com/2008/07/05/dwi-arrest-at-00/

DWI Arrest at 0.0
Saturday, July 5th, 2008

Woman was a designated driver. Didnt have a drop to drink all night. She refused a roadside sobriety test because . . . well, because theyre utter bullshit (and unlike a blood or breath test, youre allowed to refuse the roadside test). Im sure its pure coincidence that her husband, who was in the car, is a DWI defense attorney, and had just beaten the cop in question in court.

In any case, after her arrest and incarceration, prosecutors were forced to quietly drop the charges when her blood test came back 0.0. Now, ask yourself how the officer writes the following about a stone sober woman:

Its interesting to read the affidavit that Officer Gonzalez wrote that night about Heather Squires, intending to ask the Motor Vehicles Division of ADOT to yank her license. (He never mailed it  possibly because of the blood-test results.)

It describes bloodshot and watery eyes.

Flushed face.

Strong odor of an alcoholic beverage emitting from breath.

The New Times writer adds:

Honestly, I dont want to believe that Officer Gonzalez sought out the lawyer who beat him in court  and then penalized his wife when shed done nothing wrong.

But a rogue cop is almost preferable to a system thats stacked against motorists who want nothing more than to get home at night. Those people might not be as sober as Heather Squires proved to be, but after one or two drinks, Im willing to bet that they dont have bloodshot eyes or reek of booze. Youre still going to read that in the police report.

This isnt the first time pre-written, xeroxed or boilerplate DWI reports have come up. Not the first time someones been arrested at 0.0, either.

The Mesa Police Department is standing behind the officer.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: DWI Arrest at 0.0 BAC
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 06:02:26 AM »
Bloodshot and watery eyes? What, like...allergy?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 06:08:32 AM »
Perhaps due to something like hanging out in a smoky bar all night without drinking?  Too much caffeine from drinking coke?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 06:39:39 AM »
What?  We are having an OWI thread and no one tells me? grin

0.0 BAC OWIs are not uncommon but we usually have pills, dope or huffing going on.

I anticipate a lawsuit over this alleged false arrest.

I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 01:32:27 PM »

0.0 BAC OWIs are not uncommon but we usually have pills, dope or huffing going on.

Spoken like a true tile crawler.  angel

I do so enjoy when events that are on public record as having occurred are still referred to as "alleged."

As for the department standing behind Officer Gonzalez, I imagine that is the safest place to be considering all the brickbats and legal papers that are going to be thrown his way.

I have no knowledge of procedures in Officer Gonzalez's department, but locally once you hit the booking desk you get a cursory medical look-over with findings written down.  Sure would be fun to see how fast the designated driver "recovered" from the state described in the affidavit.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 08:20:45 PM »
Arizona has been on a witchhunt for a decade now.  They even sit outside sporting venues just waiting for someone to turn the key in the ignition.  If you are behind the wheel with the motor running, you are DUI to them.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 04:47:12 AM »
unfortunately the truly dangerous practice of DUI has miorphed into the DUI industry for police. Its a relatively safe arrest and they get lots of brownie points for it, and there are a lot of fines involved.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 05:23:51 AM »
If it were just stiff fines, that would be easier, but in Texas it is practically a felony and will cost you a whole lot of money over the next 10 or 15 years. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 05:44:56 AM »
more info please (recently moved to TX) angel
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 05:46:43 AM »
In the company I work for that would have cost me my job, I have a driving position. No appeal, no second chance, get the ticket get a pink slip, game over.
I hope they can sue and bury the rogue cop.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 05:48:41 AM »
Even if the arrest turns out to be bogus and the charges dropped?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 09:21:42 AM »
Yup, even if. I'm sure there are other people in similar situations but thats the way it goes down for me. If I get the ticket I'm unemployed.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 09:26:47 AM »
Yes, in some cases the process is the punishment.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 10:51:03 AM »
It's worse in Texas.

Texas being the state that tried to arrest people for public drunkenness INSIDE OF A BAR.

This kind of stuff happens in Texas a LOT.  Basically, DUI/DWI laws here are exactly what the DA/Judge says they are.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 11:00:05 AM »
MADD has gotten a bit unhinged here in Texas.  I think too many people who vote have no idea what the law says.  Someone says "We have to get harder on drunk drivers" and they say "Yeah!".    And then I keep hearing about guys with multiple DUI convictions who are still driving and I have to wonder what good it does. 

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 02:05:26 PM »

Yeah, but you'd better be able to articulate document impaired driving and have it backed up with positive blood test results.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 03:59:24 PM »
MADD has gotten a bit unhinged here in Texas.  I think too many people who vote have no idea what the law says.  Someone says "We have to get harder on drunk drivers" and they say "Yeah!".    And then I keep hearing about guys with multiple DUI convictions who are still driving and I have to wonder what good it does. 

About as much good as gun control  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

anygunanywhere

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 04:27:33 AM »
It's worse in Texas.

Texas being the state that tried to arrest people for public drunkenness INSIDE OF A BAR.

This kind of stuff happens in Texas a LOT.  Basically, DUI/DWI laws here are exactly what the DA/Judge says they are.

In Texas an individual can be arrested for DUI just on the opinion of the officer. You do not have to fail a field sobriety test. You do not have to blow into a field BACometer. If the LEO thinks you are impaired, on go the cuffs, off to the slammer.

In Texas you can refuse to take the tests legally but you automatically lose your license for 6 months on refusal to test, not DWI.

Some jurisdictions are exercising "No Refusal Weekends" like 4th of July. Judges are standing by with search warrants filled out that only need your name on them to have a cop draw your blood (in some instances).

Farewell 4th Amendment.

Anygunanywhere

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 08:24:55 AM »
Exactly.  This is one of the reasons I don't drink anymore after moving here.

I hope someone well-to-do enough has this happen to them, and gets this law challenged and invalidated
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 10:34:18 AM »
Yeah, but if you refuse the test after dark isn't it legal for them to shoot you? grin
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 10:36:31 AM »
Bloodshot and watery eyes? What, like...allergy?
or just the weasel words the courts have pretty much agreed is all it takes for LE to justify whatever it wants to do.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 10:57:37 AM »
I'm always amazed at how fascist Texas is. Registered glassware, raids on sex shops, and now pre-filled warrants? Why in the world are Texans so proud of that place?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 10:58:49 AM »
It's cultural.
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 12:31:27 PM »
Well, Texas is part of the Bible Belt.  Texas is pretty conservative for the most part, but it isn't very libertarian about some things.  Sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll (alcohol and bars) fall under "some things".  More of a puritan streak I guess. 

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 03:34:36 AM »
I'm always amazed at how fascist Texas is. Registered glassware, raids on sex shops, and now pre-filled warrants? Why in the world are Texans so proud of that place?

I don't go to bars or sex shops, and don't drink and drive.
So it doesn't bother nearly as much as it should.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.