Author Topic: Proposal to euthanize wild horses spurs debate  (Read 2265 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Proposal to euthanize wild horses spurs debate
« on: July 09, 2008, 11:29:39 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080707/ap_on_re_us/wild_horses_euthanasia

By MARTIN GRIFFITH, Associated Press Writer
Mon Jul 7, 5:48 AM ET

RENO, Nev. - Animal rights activists and ranchers are clashing over a federal proposal to euthanize wild horses as a way to deal with their surplus numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Horse advocates will mount a campaign against the proposal announced late last month by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, said Chris Heyde, deputy director of government and legal affairs for the Animal Welfare Institute based in Washington, D.C.

Federal officials said they're faced with tough choices because wild horses have overpopulated public lands in the West and they no longer can afford to care for the number of animals that have been rounded up.

But Heyde maintained the agency is seeking a "magic bullet" for budget problems caused after it began rounding up the mustangs at an unprecedented rate in recent years.

He said the roundups left too many horses for the public to adopt, requiring the agency to contract for more private long-term holding facilities.

The proposal "is killing pure and simple to balance the books for an agency whose reckless management has caused immeasurable harm to a national treasure at considerable cost to the American taxpayer," Heyde said.

Ron Cerri, of the Rebel Creek Ranch in Orovada and president-elect of the Nevada Cattlemen's Association, said ranchers would prefer horses be adopted but euthanasia may be necessary to keep their numbers down.

"Unfortunately, it's something they'll have to consider," Cerri said. "I don't know of another solution."

Cerri criticized the federal agency's proposal to stop roundups of wild horses to save money. Ranchers view mustangs as competition for forage on the range.

"That would be really unfortunate," he said. "We're starting to get close to what's called `appropriate management levels' of wild horses on the range. If we stop the roundups, that number will blow up again."

There are an estimated 33,000 wild horses in 10 Western states. About half of those are in Nevada.

The agency has set a target appropriate management level of horses at 27,000. About another 30,000 horses are in holding facilities, where most are made available for adoption.

Last year about $22 million of the entire horse program's $39 million budget was spent on holding horses in agency pens. Next year the costs are projected to grow to $26 million with an overall budget that is being trimmed to $37 million.

Lacy Dalton, president and co-founder of the Let 'Em Run Foundation horse advocacy group, urged the agency to consider alternative solutions.

They include efforts to step up birth control and legislation to provide tax breaks to large landowners willing to let horses roam on their property, she said.

"The American people have spoken  they want to preserve these wild horses," said Dalton.

"They are symbolic of the wildness and freedom and independent spirit of the West. We need to find ways to save them without being a burden on taxpayers," she added.

Agency officials said they stepped up the roundups in recent years because of ongoing drought that has left dwindling forage and water for the mustangs. Horse advocates insist the action was taken to placate ranchers.

The Bureau of Land Management's announcement marked the first time the agency publicly has discussed the possibility of putting surplus animals to death. Congress unanimously passed the 1971 Wild Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act to protect the animals.

And the do-gooders managed to just shut down the horse processing facility in DeKalb, IL that turned them into gourmet protein to sell to Euorpeans.   

It seems simple to me.  Manage population to carrying capacity of the land.  1) Round-up excess numbers and put up for adoption.  2) Horses not adopted become Mr. Ed-burgers. 3)  Money from adoptions/Mr. Ed burgers pay for round-up costs/holding pens. 4) Excess profit goes back to treasury to spend on other foolish programs.

When life gives you lemons make lemon-ade. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Proposal to euthanize wild horses spurs debate
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 11:36:32 AM »
How bout we just have a horse season?  Many countries eat it, I'd roast me some horse.

Saurbratten anyone?  laugh
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 11:40:20 AM »
What is interesting is that because of the higher costs of grain and forage biologists are concerned about a potential feral horse problem here in Iowa. Since the all the horse kill plants are closed in the US that when folk figure that horses are too expensive to feed are just going to turn them loose.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 11:41:21 AM »
How bout we just have a horse season?  Many countries eat it, I'd roast me some horse.

Saurbratten anyone?  laugh

Wouldn't it be Pferdbratten ??

Like I said, the only USDA approved Horse Processing plant was shut-down by the do-gooders.  I say we give each and every one of them a horse and let them pay the upkeep on 'em.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
It's not like these horses are somebody's dear pet.  They are wild animals, no different than deer or elk (except they are non-native).

If people are so concerned, they should adopt a wild horse themselves or at least donate the money to feed them all.

That said, my own horses - especially my gelding - are members of our family. 
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 05:05:08 PM »
t'would be the first time Boone and Crockett measured a critter by hands.  laugh

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 06:49:03 PM »
They are wild animals, no different than deer or elk (except they are non-native).

I read several articles and studies that indicate genus Equus WAS here in North America until about 11,000 years ago.  It has been postulated that they were wiped by a combination of climate change and being eaten by that particularly pernicious bipedial primate of genus Homo known as modern man.

I'm all in favor of a Horse season, even though I'd not eat them being a vegetarian and all.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 06:52:48 PM »
My father works in range management for the BLM.  He's been advocating for greater control of the wild feral horse herd for several years.  He even wants a season on them, and he plans on setting up a website to promote the idea after he retires (he's a bit afraid to do it while he still has a job).

Personally, I agree.  Nevada is already seriously over-grazed, and the wild horse herds are NOT helping.  They can range farther from water than cattle, so they tend to hit areas that normally wouldn't be grazed and would be food for real wildlife like deer.

I'm not so sure a hunting season is a good idea, for the simple fact that private and public boundaries in Nevada are not well marked, and its likely that private horses may be shot. 

Other than that, the BLM should round up a hell of a lot more horses, and they should be allowed to be sold to slaughter houses for consumption by either animals or humans.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

jrfoxx

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 07:23:18 PM »
I'm not so sure a hunting season is a good idea, for the simple fact that private and public boundaries in Nevada are not well marked, and its likely that private horses may be shot. 
Dont people usually keep thier horses in a pen or coral, or some fenced in area, whetever it may be called? seems like if true, that would pretty much take care of that issue, not counting the occasional total moron hunter thats too dumb to see a fence or barn before shooting, but honestly, those same idiots are liable to shoot the occasional horse thinking it's a deer, or just because they will kill anything they see, or shoot at any sound, jsut likesome occasionally kill someones cow or pig. Theres just nothing you can realy do about them, and it doesnt seem like making horse hunting legal would make them any worse really. Who knwos though, sadly some people are just total morons, or complete slobs who think they can do whatever they want when hunting, so..

I know didly about horses and ranching and such, but I always thought horses were pretty expensive, as was their upkeep, so I would think people wouldnt have something that valuable/important jsut roaming around totally free. Maybe they do though.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 07:34:23 PM »
Dont people usually keep thier horses in a pen or coral, or some fenced in area, whetever it may be called? seems like if true, that would pretty much take care of that issue, not counting the occasional total moron hunter thats too dumb to see a fence or barn before shooting, but honestly, those same idiots are liable to shoot the occasional horse thinking it's a deer, or just because they will kill anything they see, or shoot at any sound, jsut likesome occasionally kill someones cow or pig. Theres just nothing you can realy do about them, and it doesnt seem like making horse hunting legal would make them any worse really. Who knwos though, sadly some people are just total morons, or complete slobs who think they can do whatever they want when hunting, so..

I know didly about horses and ranching and such, but I always thought horses were pretty expensive, as was their upkeep, so I would think people wouldnt have something that valuable/important jsut roaming around totally free. Maybe they do though.

Most of the time, yes, but I've also seen them kept in very large fenced areas that aren't well marked as private. 

The problem is in Nevada, if you cross a fence line you can't be sure you're going from public to private (or vice versa) unless its marked with no-trespassing signs, which they rarely are unless they are close to the ranch house.  The BLM often fences large areas of public land to keep cows out so it can recover from previous grazing, so the land beyond a fence may be private, or it may be public, regardless of who owns the land you're standing on.  So basically, the simple presence of a fence doesn't tell you anything one way or another unless you know who owns what or have a very good map that marks which lands are private and which aren't, and you know how to use it. The default assumption (given the preponderance of public lands - over 80% in Nevada) is that it is public, unless you know otherwise or there's a house on that particular plot.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 07:40:45 PM »
How are horses any different than nutria or hogs or other pest species? Conservation based on cuteness.... /sigh
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 07:59:26 PM »
Euthanasia is NOT the right choice!

30-30 is.  grin
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 05:39:05 AM »
Euthanasia is NOT the right choice!

I don't know, that bolt-gun in the slaughterhouse seems like a good idea to me...

My position here for the activists is the same for the pro-life people:  If you don't want them killed, man up and adopt/pay.