Author Topic: I just finished watching The Lord of the Rings film trilogy...  (Read 11628 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: I just finished watching The Lord of the Rings film trilogy...
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2008, 03:10:34 AM »
We're the next level up on the org chart. Cheesy

Chris

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2008, 04:58:03 AM »
Quote from:  Physics
...to tell you (in elvish) what exactly the ring says.  "Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul."  One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.

While the inscription on the One Ring was written in the script of Tengwar (one of the written languages of the Elves of Middle Earth), the actual tongue is the Black Speech originated by Sauron (possibly as a corruption of Valarin) for use as the sole language of his servents in Middle Earth.

where there's a whip,
there's a way

ARRRGGHHH!!!!  I thankfully purged that from my memory YEARS ago, and now you bring it back.

Tit for tat...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE-1RPDqJAY
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2008, 05:30:37 AM »
Quote from:  Physics
...to tell you (in elvish) what exactly the ring says.  "Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul."  One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.

While the inscription on the One Ring was written in the script of Tengwar (one of the written languages of the Elves of Middle Earth), the actual tongue is the Black Speech originated by Sauron (possibly as a corruption of Valarin) for use as the sole language of his servents in Middle Earth.

where there's a whip,
there's a way

ARRRGGHHH!!!!  I thankfully purged that from my memory YEARS ago, and now you bring it back.

Tit for tat...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE-1RPDqJAY

Hey, I *LIKED* those animated movies!

Then again, I was in elementary school when I watched them on TV...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2008, 02:17:20 PM »
the actual tongue is the Black Speech originated by Sauron (possibly as a corruption of Valarin)

Um, excuse me?  Can I get an apology please? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2008, 03:24:48 PM »
Big hint for those wondering about food.

The Fields of the Pellenor?  They were fields, think Iowa.

Also, the movie is a bit different from the book. 

The ships Aragorn sails up in at the turn of the battle were the Corsairs of Umbar, who have been raiding the smaller Kingdoms to the South, preventing their troops from coming to Gondor's aid.

He uses the Dead to kill the Corsairs, which frees the armies of allied men from the South to come with him to the battle.  Those Southern kingdoms are the breadbasket of Gondor.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2008, 03:33:01 PM »
Cosine, give it time, those books are awesome!

Speaking of the Pellanor Fields, if you read the King of Rohan's "forth, Rohirm" speech without getting some goosebumps, you have no soul.

obmax1212

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2008, 03:35:52 PM »
If you don't pay attention in the movie or the book you will be absolutely lost. Watch them again, it is worth it. They are different from the books in a number of ways, but they hold true to the overall themes. The books are better, though.  There are some times where the reading can drag on, and it is usually restricted to descriptions of them trudging on through the wilderness. It does cause you to feel the despair and weariness that the characters are experiencing to read those sections. At least after the fact you can appreciate those duller areas by reflecting on that.

It's funny that the first book wasn't peoples favorite. I actually enjoyed that one the most. I think it has to do with the fact that you are encountering the Black Riders for the first time and they are truly mystifying. The Mines of Moria are pretty cool too. I think one area people have much difficulty in is the various names and locations. As a previous poster mentioned, Tolkien was a linguist and these books were created largely to display the languages he had created. The Silmarillion, which is like a history of Middle-earth and the Elves, was the first book he started (and the last finished), and it chronicled who spoke these languages and why they had come to take the form he had given them.

If you like language and mythology, these are the books for you. When you approach them with an understanding that they are about more than just an adventure you will get more out of reading them. There is a lot of depth to the books, which is why it is considered "High Fantasy". Note all the books, films and games that have stolen ideas from Tolkien.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2008, 07:47:41 PM »
I've read the books three or four times (been quite a while though) and have the individually released DVD's and the boxed super duper director's cut. In addition to that, I can't tear myself away from the TV when those movies are playing.

Love'm all.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G