Author Topic: I want to buy a police radio scanner  (Read 5666 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
I want to buy a police radio scanner
« on: July 11, 2008, 07:31:05 AM »
Fourth appearance of rescue squad and cops in the neighborhood in the last 18 hours.

Looking out the window or standing by the front door yeilds no information except that folks from several streets over seem to come watch the show in spite of having satellite TV (must be reruns of all the "reality" shows, or they are hoping the local TV news will show up so they can get in the scene).

I'm thinking a scanner might give me the opportunity to listen in on the dispatches, thus giving me some idea of why this place is turning into a trailer park.

Please - I need recommendations before I go down to Radio Suck and let them sell me something off the shelf.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: I want to buy a police radio scanner
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:33:53 AM »
First, find out if your area has gone to digital yet. Mine has. If it has, you'll need a $400 digital scanner. With anything else, you'll hear nothing but static.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 07:35:23 AM »
First, find out if your area has gone to digital yet. Mine has. If it has, you'll need a $400 digital scanner. With anything else, you'll hear nothing but static.

Yep, we're digitized.

Whatcha suggest for $400?

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 07:36:23 AM »

Yep, we're digitized.

Whatcha suggest for $400?

stay safe.

skidmark

Not Radio Shack, IMO. Not much into that, but there's a lot of better stuff from companies like ICOM and the like. There are some serious radioheads about on here who can probably help a lot more. smiley

Also check your local laws. In some areas, it's illegal to have a police scanner in your vehicle.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 07:43:03 AM »
I'm not planning to put the scanner in my vehicle.  I "work" from home - I'm a semi-retired consultant who obtains occassional commissions for various projects.  A number of them lately involve being awake in the overnight hours, so I'm becoming aware of the rescue squad & police visits to the neighborhood.  I'd like to be aware of what's going on instead of just seeing the flashing light.

Waiting for the radioheads to chime in.

stay safe.

skidmark

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 07:51:53 AM »
Fourth appearance of rescue squad and cops in the neighborhood in the last 18 hours.

Is this an older-folks neighborhood where a lot of ambulance/paramedic calls can be expected, or a younger-folks neighborhood with lots of toddlers who can find the drano or pest spray?

What's a "rescue squad?" 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 07:53:17 AM »
I "work" from home - I'm a semi-retired consultant who obtains occassional commissions for various projects.  A number of them lately involve being awake in the overnight hours, so I'm becoming aware of the rescue squad & police visits to the neighborhood. 

Job Listing:

Mafia Hitman
Work From Home!  Part-time consulting position!  Earn commissions for various projects! 
Some projects involve night-time work.  Ability to keep abreast of police activities a must.
Salary commensurate with experience.

grin

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 08:00:56 AM »
What's a "rescue squad?" 

Ambulance/paramedics.
Andy

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 08:04:11 AM »

Is this an older-folks neighborhood where a lot of ambulance/paramedic calls can be expected, or a younger-folks neighborhood with lots of toddlers who can find the drano or pest spray?

What's a "rescue squad?" 

I'm probably the oldest one in the area - mid-60s.  Mostly young families, mix of HIspanic & Black, significant teenage population, waaay too many vehicles with no useful motor but sub-woofers worth millions - I tell you, MILLIONS!

The folks being transported are neither the elderly (with a few excepttions - see below) not toddles roaming the kitchen cabinets at 3 AM for Drano snacks.  Also a significant number of folks getting chauffered in the police cruisers, too.

"Rescue Squad" is the local EMT - volunteerr organizations instead of county-paid professionals.  Very capable & competent.  They have saved my bacon a time or two when the heart misfunctioned.

stay safe.

skidmark

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 08:08:23 AM »
I "work" from home - I'm a semi-retired consultant who obtains occassional commissions for various projects.  A number of them lately involve being awake in the overnight hours, so I'm becoming aware of the rescue squad & police visits to the neighborhood. 

Job Listing:

Mafia Hitman
Work From Home!  Part-time consulting position!  Earn commissions for various projects! 
Some projects involve night-time work.  Ability to keep abreast of police activities a must.
Salary commensurate with experience.grin

-BP

Salary comensurate with results.  Fixed it for you.

stay safe.  And stay out of my neighborhood - I've got this gig sewn up and do not want to deal with any competition, know what I mean?

skidmark

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 10:19:02 AM »
Actually the high-end radio shack stuff is among the best for listening to local and regional trunked traffic - Made by Uniden. (the old Bearcat)

http://www.radioreference.com/

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Radio_Shack_Scanners

The ICOM, JRD and TENTEC pro units will allow you to hear a cow fart on the otherside of the county, but are much less user friendly, require discone antennas, scan slower, and can cost up to 10x as much.

The real issue with RadioShack is not the quality of their scanners, it's the quality of their employees.  Find an older guy with his ham call sign on his nametag.  Otherwise you can learn all you need to on RadioReference.

Soakers.
7-11 was a part time job.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 10:23:19 AM »
I'm probably the oldest one in the area - mid-60s.  Mostly young families, mix of HIspanic & Black, significant teenage population, waaay too many vehicles with no useful motor but sub-woofers worth millions - I tell you, MILLIONS!

The folks being transported are neither the elderly (with a few excepttions - see below) not toddles roaming the kitchen cabinets at 3 AM for Drano snacks.  Also a significant number of folks getting chauffered in the police cruisers, too.

"Rescue Squad" is the local EMT - volunteerr organizations instead of county-paid professionals.  Very capable & competent.  They have saved my bacon a time or two when the heart misfunctioned.

Got it.  It ain't health emergencies that are causing the late night visits from the folks with sirens then.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 10:32:17 AM »
Actually the high-end radio shack stuff is among the best for listening to local and regional trunked traffic - Made by Uniden. (the old Bearcat)

http://www.radioreference.com/

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Radio_Shack_Scanners

The ICOM, JRD and TENTEC pro units will allow you to hear a cow fart on the otherside of the county, but are much less user friendly, require discone antennas, scan slower, and can cost up to 10x as much.

The real issue with RadioShack is not the quality of their scanners, it's the quality of their employees.  Find an older guy with his ham call sign on his nametag.  Otherwise you can learn all you need to on RadioReference.

Soakers.

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy a Uniden off a discount site than to pay Radio Shack's 25% markup?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 12:16:46 PM »
We encrypted our Sheriff's Department radio transmissions.  I'd wager that happens in other jurisdictions, too.  A Radio Shack scanner won't help in that endeavour.   undecided
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 12:21:44 PM »
I support being able to legally own a scanner. I also support the increased opsec of cops encrypting their traffic.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 01:45:45 PM »
Thanks for all the guidance.  All I know right now is that I seem to be getting into technical stuff that is going to take some time wading through.

I'm going to start by using the scanmaster dot com support service for recommendations for an out-of-the-box setup.  I'll probably post again with what they have suggested, looking for more guidance from you folks.

In return, I am offering deep discounts on services in my now-disclosed occupational field, including 2-for-1 pricing if both parties are in the same locality.  grin

stay safe.

skidmark

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 04:40:33 PM »

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy a Uniden off a discount site than to pay Radio Shack's 25% markup?
[/quote]

No. 

Uniden models do not directly correlate to RS models.
Uniden manufactures scanners specifically for RS, RS doesn't relabel Uniden scanners.

7-11 was a part time job.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 04:44:28 PM »
Many years ago, I had a nice digital scanner from Uniden.  I found it again when I was cleaning out the garage a year ago.  I plugged it in and set it to scan for the local frequencies.  I discovered that all the local LEO have gone to encrypted transmissions.  The local FD still transmits in the clear.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

G_P

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 02:23:17 AM »
if you can afford it and don't mind the looks go for a mast mounted antenna on your house. i had one when i lived with my parents and it was pulling in signals from over a hundred miles away if conditions were right.

i have the old Radioshack scanner in my new rented house but the landlord wont let me bolt that 40' mast to the house sad it picks up the local stuff just fine with the basic collapsible antenna thats built in and thankfully our small town pd has not gone digital so i can hear them and almost all of the counties fire/paramedic dispatch. It will even pick up those ancient cordless phones from the early 90's

for convenience   try to find one that can link to your computer so that you can just download the frequency lists to it instead of manually entering hundreds of them manually like i have to do!

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 04:04:10 AM »
If you really desire encrypted transmissions, there's got to be a way...

Probably involves bribery, though...  Sad
Zeke

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 04:08:42 AM »
if you can afford it and don't mind the looks go for a mast mounted antenna on your house. i had one when i lived with my parents and it was pulling in signals from over a hundred miles away if conditions were right.

i have the old Radioshack scanner in my new rented house but the landlord wont let me bolt that 40' mast to the house sad it picks up the local stuff just fine with the basic collapsible antenna thats built in and thankfully our small town pd has not gone digital so i can hear them and almost all of the counties fire/paramedic dispatch. It will even pick up those ancient cordless phones from the early 90's

for convenience   try to find one that can link to your computer so that you can just download the frequency lists to it instead of manually entering hundreds of them manually like i have to do!

Most HOAs and quite a few zoning boards would also axe that sort of eyesore.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 04:45:05 AM »
Most HOAs and quite a few zoning boards would also axe that sort of eyesore.

They can try, but the FCC sez otherwise.

PRB-1 deals with Amateur Radio: http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=prb-1&id=amateur&page=1

There are similar restrictions on HOAs, etc for the purpose of OTA reception of radio and TV: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Rental properties are different, but that's because the person who wants the antenna is not the owner.

I called my HOA before putting my antenna up (Hustler 4BTV vertical, about 22' tall) and they said they couldn't regulate antennas and to enjoy. Smiley

Chris

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 06:53:46 AM »
Anybody own any of the scanners from Uniden?

I see them in ham-radio catalogs all the time.