Main Forums > The Roundtable

GameSpy reveals details on the next Xbox console

<< < (3/3)

Sean Smith:

--- Quote ---Er, this isn't your P4 3.0GHz.  It's a triple-core PowerPC.  That's more than one processor in the same package.  If you've never worked on a SMP system, lemme tell ya', extra processors make a HUGE difference.

You missed my point, which I guess wasn't that clear.  I was explaining why a system with 3.0 GHz processors won't necessarily be prohibitively expensive.  Processor prices are driven largely by the yields they can get that hit the desired speed, and since making 3.0 GHz processors is already a mature process, that means the new X-Box won't necessarily be expensive just because it has multiple 3.0 GHz processors when it comes out in a couple of years.  The cores might be $50 each retail by that point, and Microsoft will no doubt get a bulk discount.  

I  can count, you know, and am quite aware that several processors can out-perform 1 processor.  

WhoKnowsWho:
I guess since they are going with PowerPC CPUs, I wonder if they will still program it to be able to emulate an original Xbox? I seriously doubt it now.

Azrael256:

--- Quote ---I guess since they are going with PowerPC CPUs, I wonder if they will still program it to be able to emulate an original Xbox? I seriously doubt it now.  Nah, no problem.  It's difficult to emulate back and forth with equivalent hardware and expect native speed, but with a much faster processor, emulation should be seamless.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version