Author Topic: Man, metal thieves will steal anything...  (Read 5906 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Man, metal thieves will steal anything...
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 05:27:53 AM »
Maybe somebody said something mean to them so they took a-fence Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 05:28:44 AM »
Couple of years ago, and I can't remember where it happened, somewhere in Europe, a guy was trying to steal the lead roof off a small church.

He slipped off and was found the next day impaled on a particularly wicked iron fence...

Not sure what the pastor/priest/vicar could say about that, really... grin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2008, 05:30:19 AM »
"Not sure what the pastor/priest/vicar could say about that, really..."

Wondrous are the works of God...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 07:58:13 AM »
Can anyone send me pics or links to them of the guys who got fried trying to steal from a live sub-station? We're doing an "electrical safety" thing at work, and I could use them.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 06:18:53 PM »
A couple weeks back there was a story of a house blowing up in Grand Rapids, MI.

Turns out some thieves busted into the vacant house and stole all the copper tubing carrying natural gas.  Without even turning it off.

How stupid do you have to be to saw through an active gas line?

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2008, 06:53:17 PM »
A couple weeks back there was a story of a house blowing up in Grand Rapids, MI.

Turns out some thieves busted into the vacant house and stole all the copper tubing carrying natural gas.  Without even turning it off.

How stupid do you have to be to saw through an active gas line?
Meth-head stupid?

crt360

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2008, 08:28:27 PM »
Suspected copper thief fatally shot in Garland by business owner's son

03:03 PM CDT on Monday, July 14, 2008

By KIMBERLY DURNAN / The Dallas Morning News
kdurnan@dallasnews.com

Garland police say they planned no criminal charges against a 25-year-old man who fatally shot a suspected copper thief Thursday.

The shooting happened shortly before 1:20 a.m. at Bargain Town Variety & Furniture store in the 5700 block of Broadway Boulevard.

The business owner's son, identified by police as Sunny Sheu, was guarding the roof because the store had recently been hit by copper thieves.

The son said he confronted a man who had climbed onto the roof, police said. The son fired his gun, striking the man in the torso. The man fled and collapsed on the ground.

The shooting victim was identified as Edward Preston Hickey, 43. According to investigators, he had an extensive criminal record of mostly nonviolent offenses including theft and public intoxication.

Police said Mr. Hickey had a small backpack containing tools that could be used to steal copper.

They said Mr. Sheu was cooperating in their investigation.

According to Garland police spokesman Joe Harn, Bargain Town manager Jose Hernandez filed two theft reports this month. On Tuesday, he said $1,500 worth of air-conditioning parts were taken from the store. On Wednesday, he reported that someone had stolen $6,000 worth of copper out of air-conditioning units.

"Last night, the owner's son decided to sit on the roof and see if someone came," Officer Harn said.

Police were called by an off-duty officer who was working security at a nearby Wal-Mart.

Police said the case would be referred to a grand jury for review, but that such reviews are standard procedure in fatal shootings. They said they had no plans to arrest Mr. Sheu.

"We've had a lot of problems in this area," said Wilson Samuel, owner of nearby Quality Cleaners and Quality Convenience. "That's why we put up burglar bars. We were broken into, but the alarm scared them off.

"It's sad someone had to lose their life, but at the same time they need to stop this," Mr. Samuel said. "If you don't do anything about it, they keep doing it."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/city/garland/stories/DN-coppershoot_11met.ART.West.Edition1.4d632d3.html
For entertainment purposes only.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2008, 08:47:20 PM »
Couple of years ago, and I can't remember where it happened, somewhere in Europe, a guy was trying to steal the lead roof off a small church.

He slipped off and was found the next day impaled on a particularly wicked iron fence...

It's God's way of saying "stealing is wrong".   grin
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2008, 05:01:55 AM »
I just cannot believe that some prosecutor somewhere hasn't decided to go for the political points of indicting and trying some of these scrap dealers!  Some of these guys willingly turn a blind eye to obviously stoen property for a couple of bucks.  I mean, seriously, a teen ager comes in with a statute to scrap for cash, he's probably not on the up and up.  I just had a case come through my court of a kid who was trying to steal 800lbs of underground telephone cables, the heavy duty 3" think lines.  He was dragging it across teh company property to the fence (He cut through it).  he then realized he couldn't lift it all into the back of his p.o.s. truck, so he started cutting it into smaller sections with a hacksaw.  Darned if he didn't slip and cut the he11 out of his arm, leaving a ton of DNA evidence at the scene.  He never got one cut complete, and ended up leaving the cable right there when he went to get medical attention for his arm.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2008, 05:44:56 AM »
"Hey, I just thought he had a few dozen City of XXXXXX manhole covers made as a decoration....."  rolleyes

Yeah, prosecuting the scrap dealers would be far more effective. If these douchebags couldn't sell the stuff they wouldn't steal it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2008, 05:46:17 AM »
Yes. They buy catalytic converters with saw cuts. They buy manhole covers with the city name on them. There is no punishment.