Author Topic: White House: Bush to lift offshore drilling ban  (Read 21474 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
White House: Bush to lift offshore drilling ban
« on: July 14, 2008, 05:20:38 AM »
WASHINGTON - The White House says President Bush is planning to lift an executive ban on offshore oil drilling.

In a Rose Garden statement on Monday, the president plans to lift the ban. But by itself, the move will not lead to more drilling off Americas coastline.

Congress must still lift its own legislative ban before offshore drilling can happen.

White House press secretary Dana Perino says Bush is acting now in hopes of spurring Congress to act. So far, lawmakers have shown no interest in doing so.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25674571/

Now let us see how much Congress really wants to help.  Could prove interesting.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: White House: Bush to lift offshore drilling ban
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 05:23:23 AM »
The party of NO will say NO. And then babble about solar and wind and other "someday" crap. Just watch.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 05:24:36 AM »
WASHINGTON - The White House says President Bush is planning to lift an executive ban on offshore oil drilling.
So what's taking so long? Should've been done a long time ago. (And how can a President simply ban something with the stroke of a pen?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 05:34:31 AM »
"And in other news today, the Sun rose in the east..."
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 05:36:34 AM »
Drilling is inherently bad.  There's something so brutally macho about it. grin
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 08:16:25 AM »
It is a good thing to do, but I agree that this should have been done months ago.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

doc2rn

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 09:00:58 AM »
Got a better idea that is easier. Get rid of the speculators by making them pay for all that they buy! None of this inside mark up amongst speculator tripe. Common sense is lost once you reach 1600 Pennsylvaina.

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 09:07:36 AM »
I hear that Bill Clinton said that he's for offshore drilling.

Then I learned that he thought they were talking about "sex on a boat"...

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 09:07:59 AM »
No details yet, but apparently Harry Reid is predictably going NO...

When will Americans have had enough of these idiots and tell them to SHUT UP, take their solar panels and put them where the sun don't shine, and get the HELL out of the way, that the gas prices are painful for anyone who isn't a Liberal Elite?

"But, waaaaah, there won't be oil for ten years..." "You said that TEN YEARS AGO! See where we are now!"

People just aren't going to be able to afford $5/gal heating oil this winter. People are going to DIE because of that. Frozen to death. But that's okay with the dems, as long as Pristine Coastlines are maintained...

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 10:09:55 AM »
I heard someone on the radio suggest that if they contracted in bonuses for getting oil production up and running in 2 years, the companies would likely make it happen. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 10:36:15 AM »
Ten years?

Wasn't it 1995 that Bill Clinton vetoed a bill to allow drilling in ANWR? Now it's 2008 . . . 2008 minus 1995 is . . . ?

How much of the "10 year" delay would be due to government bureaucrats sticking their noses in the way?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 01:52:41 PM »
If they got the government crap out of the way I suspect it would take a lot less then ten years.  We aren't going to the moon here.  They have good ideas where there are large oil reserves, they have the drills, they just need to put them together and get them in place.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 03:25:22 PM »

Still can't believe morons have taken this long to get to it.  Do they realize how it can help the economy to get it started now?  Metal and pipe shops will be weeping at the amount of orders they'd get.  Engineering shops will be humming like no tomorrow designing rigs.  Aviation service outfits will turn around the insane amount of hours they could log.  Very decent paying jobs for thousands of Americans.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 03:31:48 PM »
This is a test of wills.

Do the People run this country or do the Poobahs?  Clearly, the Democrat Politburo thinks they run the show. 
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 04:28:14 PM »
Big forking deal.  angry

The ban should have never been put in place to begin with and the SOB is lifting it knowing that Congress isn't going to do their part and pass legislation repealing their ban.

It's a desperate PR attempt to rescue a presidential legacy that is quickly becoming worse than Carter's.

If he want to impress someone he can, lift the '89 import ban his dumbass dad issued and reign in the Waffen BATFEces.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 04:44:34 PM »
He should have done this six years ago.....and ended reformulated gasoline requirements....and ordered the FTC to review oil futures...and push to reform the tax code....and a lot of other things a conservative President would do.... angry

Wanna bet the Bush family weathers the next four years better than most other families?....  rolleyes
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 06:34:32 PM »
People are going to DIE because of that. Frozen to death.

That's just alarmist rhetoric.

Here, in KC?  Leave the thermostat on 62 and pay the minimal (mine is ~$50) gas bill.

If you cannot afford $50 -- versus death -- you have much bigger issues, like EATING: and it is NOT the government's fault.
Zeke

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 07:50:45 PM »
People are going to DIE because of that. Frozen to death.

That's just alarmist rhetoric.

Here, in KC?  Leave the thermostat on 62 and pay the minimal (mine is ~$50) gas bill.

If you cannot afford $50 -- versus death -- you have much bigger issues, like EATING: and it is NOT the government's fault.

Yeah, that's nice. In New England, we're talking $3K+ for the winter to not freeze in an house with an oilfired furnace. Most people need about three refills on a 275 gallon tank. That's $4125. Not counting delivery charges, either. If it's especially cold with lots of windchill extreme days, it's even worse.

Last year, many people were sealing off rooms to keep from having to heat the whole house. There were also many fires caused by cheap space heaters that someone dropped something flammable near or on. Lots and lots of fires. I expect this year will be much worse.

Try looking at the realities for people beyond your front yard before you call something "alarmist", maybe? Not everyone lives in the warmer climates, and lots of people have leaky houses over a century old here. rolleyes

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 03:34:47 AM »
Not everyone lives in the warmer climates, and lots of people have leaky houses over a century old here. rolleyes

Move?  Spend $$$ on a system that isn't antiquated?  Get a J-O-B?

The reality is that these individuals had over a century -- built that long ago? -- to upgrade their homes...

I find such rhetoric to be alarmist:  It's like having sympathy for the folks who bought SUV's but can afford neither them or the gas prices.

If it is that bad, keep the house in the 40's and wear a sweater while living on ramen.  It's a choice, theirs, and we are supposed to wring our hands?
Zeke

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 03:44:20 AM »
I agree with Zeke.  "Freezing to death" is rather alarmist.  You don't have to keep your house at 75 or even 70 if the cost of fuel is an issue.  You can get along perfectly well with the house at 50-60 and dressing more warmly.  A couple oil filled electric radiant heaters can take the chill off small rooms without being fire hazards (we use them in our house, they work quite well).  Really, people used to get by with much less just 40 years ago.  It's not ideal, but it'll keep costs down and keep you from freezing.

Our furnace went out one winter and we were without any heat other than space heaters and a fireplace downstairs.  Temps were around freezing or slightly below and the house never got below 50 at night (we didn't stoke the fire at night, just let it burn out after 9pm).

Chris

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 03:53:07 AM »
Alarmist?

Without modern heating and cooling technology half this country is only marginally inhabitable, at least at the kind of comfort and work efficiency level American has grown accustomed to.

I live in temperate, Mediterranean-climate Los Angeles but I spent a year teaching in Sicily, similar climate, and living in an apartment without central heating, A/C, or hot running water.  Electricity was too expensive to run a small electric heater, and it was too cold in my room to comfortably sit and, say, read without being bundled up with sweaters and wearing gloves.  I sought out restaurants, bars, and hotels to do my prep work.  Is this the world you want to go back to?
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 04:05:52 AM »
Is this the world you want to go back to?

It's a world we could survive in, which makes all the "People will die!" stuff alarmist, no?
Zeke

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 04:10:01 AM »
at least at the kind of comfort and work efficiency level American has grown accustomed to.

There's the key phrase.  People lived in these areas before such creature comforts became commonplace, they can do it again.  I've lived in the South all my life (NoVa being the furthest North for me).  Not everyone has central air, there are still quite a few folks who only have a window AC unit in a bedroom.  They get by during the summer just fine.  Some of those same folks heat their entire house with a single wood stove in the den even when the temps are in the teens and twenties. 

Besides, we're not talking about rolling back climate control to the 1900s, but adjusting your expectations when you can't afford fuel.  You do what poor folks are already doing and turn the thermostat down while dressing more warmly.  You make repairs and changes to your home that make it more efficient. 

Chris

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 04:19:45 AM »
Yeah, we can "live that way again."

I mean you can; I choose not to.

It's interesting to see the inroads Romanticism has made.  I hope you enjoy your de-industrialized America.  You'll get by all right; at about one-third your current standard of living.  How long are your computers going to last without climate-controlled environments?  Or is this to be a world of the young and brawny again? smiley
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 04:25:28 AM »
Yeah, we can "live that way again."

I mean you can; I choose not to.

It's interesting to see the inroads Romanticism has made.  I hope you enjoy your de-industrialized America.

Really, reading is fundamental.  Nobody is saying this is a good way to live.  What we're saying is that if you have X amount of fuel to heat your home with and can't afford more, you turn the heat down to 60deg rather than burn it rapidly to keep your house at 70 or 75. 

You might choose not to now, but what happens when the price of whatever fuel you use hits the point where you have to make that choice?  What happens when your budget allows you to keep your house at 70deg for a month or 60deg for two months?

Not saying we shouldn't drill for more oil (we should), but folks who are stretched that thin might want to consider the possibility that they might have to experience an austere Winter in order to meet their budget.  It sucks, but it's life. 

Chris