Author Topic: Caught the dog today  (Read 1196 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Caught the dog today
« on: July 14, 2008, 04:03:24 PM »
in a mouse trap.  rolleyes

We get a mouse or two a year, but mostly in the fall.  So I was kinda surprised when last night my daughter goes into the kitchen and starts screaming her fool head off.  Somehow a mouse has managed to infiltrate his way into Festung Scout for obvious nefarious purposes (i.e. to scare the womenfolk  rolleyes).

So today after getting my labs drawn, I stop by the local hardware store to pick up some glue traps.  However, when I get there I'm looking over the assortment of small furry critter removal devices/methods when I remember what happened last fall.

While I was gone at Deer Camp, a mouse had managed to get himself firmly attached to a glue trap.  (They do work as advertised).  However, his mouse death shreiks were far louder then his size would seem to permit.  Mrs Scout and my daughter were afraid to go near it and, of course, Mrs Scout refused to let my son pick it up, for fear that he would instead chase his mother and older sister aound the house with the screaming, dying mouse stuck on a glue board. (which he probably would have done.)  So the neighbor was called and he deposited said mouse in the trash can where his dying shreiks were muffled a bag or two of garbage dropped on top of him inside the can and the lid.

So fast-forward to today.  Instead of a gluetrap, I decide to go for the quick kill type and settle on a 2-pack of these http://www.intruderinc.com/mousetrap/mousetrap.html  (the mouse ones do NOT have the serated edges and are "finger safe"). 

Get home, bait them with a small dab of peanut butter, one under the stove behind the storage bin and one behind the fridge.

Now our fridge sits at the end of the counter so that you can see behind it as it backs  up against the wall.  I thought that I had pushed the trap back far enough so that no one could get it without using a stick.

WRONG !!!

While I was down in the basement the dog somehow managed to pull it out from behind the fridge without setting it off.  Of course the instant his tongue hit the peanut butter all hell broke loose.  I heard a loud yelp, then the clatter of claws traying to get traction on a hardwood floor and then the sound of him going into his crate....HARD.  (That's were he goes when he's tired/scared/wants to be left alone.)  I go upstairs and he looks at me with a combination "I'm soooo busted" and "That wasn't very nice/funny." look on his face as he sits in his crate.

Needless to say, I doubt that he'll go near a mouse trap, or peanut butter again.

Yes, I did catch the mouse later in the day.   The dog was on the couch sleeping and when the trap under the stove snapped, he hauled butt into his crate with his tail between his legs.   laugh laugh

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Caught the dog today
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 04:24:43 PM »
i used those traps to get wife number 1's tomcat to stop using a potted plant as a litter box.  the yowl in the middle of the night made me suspect a certain part of him got nailed. he reatalieted by using my shoes for litter box and spraying on my snowmobile suit
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 04:31:14 PM »
i used those traps to get wife number 1's tomcat to stop using a potted plant as a litter box.  the yowl in the middle of the night made me suspect a certain part of him got nailed. he reatalieted by using my shoes for litter box and spraying on my snowmobile suit

Reason # 975,113,452 on my list of why I don't like cats.  angel
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 04:45:17 PM »
Mrs Scout and my daughter were afraid to go near it and, of course, Mrs Scout refused to let my son pick it up, for fear that he would instead chase his mother and older sister aound the house with the screaming, dying mouse stuck on a glue board. (which he probably would have done.)

It's good to know boys are still boys.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 05:16:20 PM »
I've used mousetraps to train larger dogs to stay off the couch, it only takes one snap to a paw and you don't even have to set them anymore.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 05:36:41 PM »
I've used mousetraps to train larger dogs to stay off the couch, it only takes one snap to a paw and you don't even have to set them anymore.

laugh  I do that for my dogs.  Aluminum foil works also, they hate the noise.  I've also tricked them by putting mouse traps underneath the couch cover, so they lay down and SNAP!  Makes them think twice about the couch even without the traps there. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 07:50:19 PM »
Is it wrong to laugh at this story?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 07:59:06 PM »

That is not normal cat behavior, either he dislikes the litterbox (wrong litter, dirty, et al) or some medical condition is causing him discomfort that he associates with the litterbox.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 08:05:24 PM »

That is not normal cat behavior, either he dislikes the litterbox (wrong litter, dirty, et al) or some medical condition is causing him discomfort that he associates with the litterbox.

Maybe the shoes are Nikes?

Wait for it...
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.