Author Topic: Any experience with Haier Air Conditioners from WalMart?  (Read 1752 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Any experience with Haier Air Conditioners from WalMart?
« on: July 16, 2008, 07:08:06 AM »
I need to get Mom one, possibly two, new air conditioners.

The choices in her town are Wal Mart and Lowes, with hit or miss at the Ollies Bargain Outlet on the other side of town.

It appears that the Lowes store is already moving their air conditioners out of stock...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Any experience with Haier Air Conditioners from WalMart?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 07:24:53 AM »
I have a Haier deepfreeze that is 3 years old with no problems and runs 24/7

-Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 08:18:11 AM »
Everything I'm seeing says they're durable, so I should be OK.

I'm running a new dedicated electrical line from the basement to Mom's office to take the AC. Fortunately it's a fairly easy run.

I'm over engineering it, though.

The AC is going to be no more than 8K BTU, which means that I would be more than fine with 14 gauge wiring and 15 amp outlets.

But, I'm going to go with 12 gauge wiring and 20 amp outlets. The price difference is negligible, and where electricity is concerned, over is always better than under.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 08:24:34 AM »
*blah blah blah* ...Chinese crap... *blah* ...communists... *blah blah* ...taking our jobs... *blah blah* ...falling dollar... *blah*

</sarcasm>
My experience with them is that they are well made, long lasting products, sold for a good price, with an LG made compressor, like pretty much every other unit.  Based on past experience, I would expect it to work reliably and fairly efficiently for a long time.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 10:31:12 AM »
I'd always go with 12 GA/20A service for a motor appliance, Mike. We have a Walmart A/C in the wall that's run every summer for five years with no attention. What part of China is Haier from?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 10:37:47 AM »
I ran up to Home Depot a little bit ago.

God, that place is like a foray into hell.

I think Joseph Conrad was talking about a shopping trip to Home Depot when he wrote Heart of Darkness...

I really went there to do some pricing and get some hands on with the components I've decided to use, but I ended up buying about half of what I'm going to need. I'm using the gray PVC stuff for the wall mount box and the conduit through the floor. I'll paint it white, though, so it blends. Krylon works well.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 10:42:51 AM »
I'd always go with 12 GA/20A service for a motor appliance, Mike. We have a Walmart A/C in the wall that's run every summer for five years with no attention. What part of China is Haier from?

TC

Qingdao, Shandong, People's Republic of China.

Agree on the 12 GA.  Over-building isn't always a bad thing - look at the AK platform :p

mfree

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 10:48:21 AM »
Well, that's certainly an interesting story on the wikipedia page there.