Author Topic: Oh god, now Obama wants to apply gun control logic to nuclear weapons...  (Read 14218 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Two goals of his administration would be to secure all loose nuclear material during his first term and to rid the world of nuclear weapons, Obama told an audience before a roundtable discussion at Purdue University.

Obama said adhering to nonproliferation treaties would put pressure on nations such as North Korea and Iran. North Korea has tested a nuclear weapon and Iran has an energy program the Bush administration warns could be a precursor to nuclear weapon development.

"As long as nuclear weapons exist, we'll retain a strong deterrent. But we will make the goal of eliminating all nuclear weapons a central element in our nuclear policy," Obama said.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D91V3A3O0&show_article=1

So all we have to do is make sure that other nations don't have any nuclear weapons, then we can turn our own into happy fun toys for children with rainbows painted on them, of course.

OF COURSE, no rogue state would EVER think of having some in secret, no, no. Just like when there's gun control, no criminals ever would think to have a gun! Genie, bottle. Does not go back in. Ever.

ARRRRG!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Ignorance may be bliss, but not when the ignorer is a potential POTUS.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in

Obama said adhering to nonproliferation treaties would put pressure on nations such as North Korea and Iran.

How so? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
I hate to be an optimist here on top of it all, but couldn't an argument be made that nuclear weaponry and related technology could be insanely useful in space exploration?

Aside from the Bruce Willis Armaggedon situations where we need to blow up big rocks coming towards us (or nudge them a bit with a gigaton bomb around Jupiter), I think nuclear weaponry and explosives could be useful for:

1.  Lunar or Martian mining or interior terraforming.  Build caves in the moon.
2.  Clearing the asteroid belt if necessary.
3.  Altering the orbit of natural satellites of other planets.  Create or decrease tidal forces.
4.  Atmospheric detonation of a nuke could be useful for clearing a supervolcanic eruption's soot from the sky here on Earth.
5.  Killing aliens that are hostile, whether they look like WWF wrestlers with crab faces, giant insects, big elephants or Area 51 critters.  Morality may not be a concept understood by another spacefaring species, or global extinction of life on another planet may seem like a very good idea to us.  I don't think PETA would complain if we finished Sigourney Weaver's job and nuked all the bugs from orbit just to make sure.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Nick1911

• Administrator
I hate to be an optimist here on top of it all, but couldn't an argument be made that nuclear weaponry and related technology could be insanely useful in space exploration?

Aside from the Bruce Willis Armaggedon situations where we need to blow up big rocks coming towards us (or nudge them a bit with a gigaton bomb around Jupiter), I think nuclear weaponry and explosives could be useful for:

1.  Lunar or Martian mining or interior terraforming.  Build caves in the moon.
2.  Clearing the asteroid belt if necessary.
3.  Altering the orbit of natural satellites of other planets.  Create or decrease tidal forces.
4.  Atmospheric detonation of a nuke could be useful for clearing a supervolcanic eruption's soot from the sky here on Earth.
5.  Killing aliens that are hostile, whether they look like WWF wrestlers with crab faces, giant insects, big elephants or Area 51 critters.  Morality may not be a concept understood by another spacefaring species, or global extinction of life on another planet may seem like a very good idea to us.  I don't think PETA would complain if we finished Sigourney Weaver's job and nuked all the bugs from orbit just to make sure.

Nuclear *anything* has too much of a negative stigma attached to it.

agricola

• friend

1.  Lunar or Martian mining or interior terraforming.  Build caves in the moon.
2.  Clearing the asteroid belt if necessary.
3.  Altering the orbit of natural satellites of other planets.  Create or decrease tidal forces.
4.  Atmospheric detonation of a nuke could be useful for clearing a supervolcanic eruption's soot from the sky here on Earth.
5.  Killing aliens that are hostile, whether they look like WWF wrestlers with crab faces, giant insects, big elephants or Area 51 critters.  Morality may not be a concept understood by another spacefaring species, or global extinction of life on another planet may seem like a very good idea to us.  I don't think PETA would complain if we finished Sigourney Weaver's job and nuked all the bugs from orbit just to make sure.

1. No, there are a lot easier ways of mining than by nuking stuff.
2. The belt isnt that dense, all of our probes that have traversed it made it through without being hit, the current odds of being hit while traversing it is one in a billion.
3. Unlikely, the force released by a nuke isnt that great.  Bear in mind that when SL-9 hit Jupiter, one of the fragments (admittedly the biggest one) caused a bang in the order of 6,000,000 megatons of TNT.
4. That would probably cause more harm than good. 
5. Aliens on their planet are not the aliens in that situation.  Besides, even if we did get there I would hope we would have better stuff than nukes by that point.

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
When nuclear weapons are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuclear weapons.

shocked
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
6. Project Orion.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
I don't think PETA would complain if we finished Sigourney Weaver's job and nuked all the bugs from orbit just to make sure.

I think we should send each and every last facing-hugging xenomorph to PETA.   angel
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
6. Project Orion.

And you thought they raised a stink about nuclear power plants?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MicroBalrog

• friend
6. Project Orion.

And you thought they raised a stink about nuclear power plants?

Get the thing into orbit with relatively-friendly 'conventional' rockets, THEN fire it up.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
That rat had the nerve to come to my home town to say that.  It's bad enough when the politicians insult your intelligence from afar.  But to come here and do it in person is a serious insult. 

He's lucky to have secret service protection, lest his bad behavior earn him a punch in the nose.

longeyes

• friend
President Lotus-eater has one goal: National impotence.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Manedwolf

• friend
President Lotus-eater has one goal: National impotence.

That always ends the same way in every example in history.

"There, see, I'm entirely disarmed, and...uh...guys, what's with all the knives and guns all of a sudden? Guys? Let's be reasonable!"

longeyes

• friend
When nuclear weapons are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuclear weapons.

+1
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Gun control logic does apply to nuclear weapons.

Gun control and unilateral disarmament work equally well.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
If Obama is all they say he is, he can use the Superman IV plan.....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094074/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Regolith

• friend
If Obama is all they say he is, he can use the Superman IV plan.....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094074/

Yeah, the superman movie superman fans love to hate (or simply try and pretend never existed).   laugh
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

macpherson

4.  Atmospheric detonation of a nuke could be useful for clearing a supervolcanic eruption's soot from the sky here on Earth.

Erm...I think that would just make things worse.  It would probably just add radioactive fallout to the volcanic debris.

Regardless, it's a meaningless comment, since even he knows there's no way the world will be rid of nukes during his presidency lifetime, so the US will not be giving up its nukes anytime soon

MechAg94

• friend
On using nukes to mine or build caves on the moon, haven't you seen that new Time Machine movie that came out a few years ago?  You will just end up breaking apart the moon causing a new dark age on earth after which we will all be slave cattle for mind controlling trolls living underground. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
The biggest thing Hillary had over Obama was that she would never make the mistake of believing the nonsense she spouts.

With Obama, who knows.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

wmenorr67

• friend
So can someone show me the logic in gun control.  I don't believe that is a logical statement.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
On using nukes to mine or build caves on the moon, haven't you seen that new Time Machine movie that came out a few years ago?  You will just end up breaking apart the moon causing a new dark age on earth after which we will all be slave cattle for mind controlling trolls living underground. 
Wonder what Ken Brockman would have to say about the trolls.   smiley
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Everyone knows that trolls live under bridges ...  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
Everyone knows that trolls live under bridges ...  rolleyes
The Politics forum is a bridge?
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com