Author Topic: ALGORE says must go completely wind and solar within ten years  (Read 20413 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: ALGORE says must go completely wind and solar within ten years
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2008, 06:08:14 AM »
I suspect Al Gore, a man with immense expendable income, sets higher standards for the public than himself.

As I keep saying, Obama and Gore and Edwards are Plato's philosopher-kings. The liberal masses adore them and want them to lead them, since they cannot lead themselves. And they are allowed their different standards and their palaces.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2008, 08:57:58 AM »
This was never about rational solutions to real problems.

The sooner we come to grips with that the sooner we'll understand what we have to do.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2008, 09:20:25 AM »
This was never about rational solutions to real problems.

The sooner we come to grips with that the sooner we'll understand what we have to do.

I suspect you're right about that.

What then is "what we have to do"?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2008, 09:58:05 AM »
Instead of griping about how bad petroleum is and that we have to, "do something drastic NOW!" we should follow China's lead. Drill like mad, build nuke plants, and develop alternative energy while using the technology we already know works. China has all kinds of mandates for alternative fuels like biodiesel, but they're not dropping other fuel sources to focus on that alone. When they start weening themselves off fossil diesel, they'll be able to almost seamlessly switch to biodiesel, and nuclear is already a long term energy source.

I never thought I'd see the day when I would say that places like China had the technological jump on us, but thanks to people like Gore and their constraining, backward thinking regulations, there you have it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2008, 10:36:30 AM »
What I meant is our "leadership" class is full of dangerous obstructionists who want America brought low. 

Perhaps we will need a grass-roots movement to legally remove these people from office.  I leave the details to our legal eagles on this forum.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2008, 12:30:13 PM »
Perhaps we will need a grass-roots movement to legally remove these people from office.  I leave the details to our legal eagles on this forum.

I believe the usual mechanism for that is this thing we call an "election"...

It would appear that the task before us it to somehow educate the morons that keep voting for the Pelosis and Gores of this country so that they stop voting for them.

I would love to hear suggestions about how to do that.

Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity are on the radio six hours a day, and still these people aren't learning.  You can lead a horse to drink, but you can't make it water.  Or something like that.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2008, 01:44:09 PM »
We know the tipping point has been reached when the voters want to throw THEIR bums out.  Happened in '92.  I see glimpses of hope in '08 but so far no trends. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2008, 03:15:53 PM »
I would love to have an independent solar power system for my compound.

That way when the Feds surround me, at least they can't cut off my power Tongue
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2008, 07:55:34 AM »

What luck!  We just happen to have such a grass-roots movement coming up this November.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2008, 12:10:49 PM »

Drill deep enough and you'll get to ground temps that will boil water (I'm not sure the depth but it isn't all that deep I think). I'm sure some engineer somewhere has thought of this - should be easy to do  but maybe expensive for the equipment. Pump coldwater down one hole - get low pressure steam up another. Steam drives a turbine connected to an electric generator. Voila - geothermal electric.

If this hasn't been done or at least investigated I just have to ask - WHY NOT?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2008, 12:14:47 PM »
Drill deep enough and you'll get to ground temps that will boil water

I'm going to need a bunch of extension shafts for my black & decker  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »

Drill deep enough and you'll get to ground temps that will boil water (I'm not sure the depth but it isn't all that deep I think). I'm sure some engineer somewhere has thought of this - should be easy to do  but maybe expensive for the equipment. Pump coldwater down one hole - get low pressure steam up another. Steam drives a turbine connected to an electric generator. Voila - geothermal electric.

Only if you're over a hotspot. The world's deepest mine, in the UK, is 6300 feet down (potash mine) and it's still only about 100 degrees down there.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2008, 02:55:02 PM »
Maned-

I don't have a source but I recall some mines being well over 100, even the comstock mine being so hot people could only work for 30 minutes before resting in ice cooled cold rooms.

Like so many things it may not me practical in all areas but theres plenty of people who could do such a thing.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2008, 03:58:52 PM »
"Still only 100 degrees down there..."

If that's true, that's a FAR lower temperature than what would be expected.

There's a steady increase in temperature the farther down you go.

It's the earth's coefficient of heat, or something like that. It's a steady state rise.

What I'm coming up with is that at 5 kilometers the base temperature of the earth should be in the 150 to 170 deg. F range.

The Swiss are investigating the possibily of doing what Werewolf is talking about.

"The world's deepest mine, in the UK, is 6300 feet down (potash mine)"

That's not even close to the world's deepest mine.

Those you find in South Africa. I believe that Tau Tona is still classified as the deepest mine, at something like 3,500 METERS. 

The East Rand diamond mine is also at about the same depth.

OOPS!

Just came across something from May that says the Mponeng mine in South Africa is now past 3,770 meters, and they've applied for recognition as the world's deepest mine.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2008, 04:47:53 PM »

That's where I was getting my power from when I lived in Santa Rosa, CA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Geysers

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2008, 05:11:51 PM »
The problem with geothermal is that pumping all that cool water way down there will cool off the earth's core and we will all freeze to death in 50 years.  grin

wideym

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2008, 03:56:06 AM »
I'm growing tired of hearing "More drilling now won't show results for 10 years".  In ten years they will say "Why didn't you drill when you had the chance?", forgeting they didn't want drilling ten years before, just immediate results.  Let's drill now and hope that in 10 years we won't need the oil, but will have it just in case.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2008, 04:05:04 AM »
I'm growing tired of hearing "More drilling now won't show results for 10 years".  In ten years they will say "Why didn't you drill when you had the chance?", forgeting they didn't want drilling ten years before, just immediate results.  Let's drill now and hope that in 10 years we won't need the oil, but will have it just in case.

Two factors, there. One, the dems bleated the same line ten years AGO.

Two, a speculative market trades in futures. If there is a future near certainty of increased supply, guess what futures prices do?

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2008, 04:22:31 AM »
ALGORE was on MTP yesterday and Brokaw actually gently went after him about his house and private jet travel.  His response was that since he is getting all of his power from renewable resources, his house is 'carbon neutral', and most of the time he is now taking public transportation.  He said he was taking a Southwest Jet later that day.  Of course, with his security detail, his carbon footprint is still multiple X of any other passenger on the plane.  There are occasions where he still does have to jump into a Gulfstream to get someplace in a hurry.  He was unspecific as to the ratio of time he spent on the Greyhound of the skies vs. private jet.

The governor on Brokaw's spine kicked in so he let that line of questioning drop.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2008, 04:33:03 AM »
ALGORE was on MTP yesterday and Brokaw actually gently went after him about his house and private jet travel.  His response was that since he is getting all of his power from renewable resources, his house is 'carbon neutral', and most of the time he is now taking public transportation.  He said he was taking a Southwest Jet later that day.  Of course, with his security detail, his carbon footprint is still multiple X of any other passenger on the plane.  There are occasions where he still does have to jump into a Gulfstream to get someplace in a hurry.  He was unspecific as to the ratio of time he spent on the Greyhound of the skies vs. private jet.

The governor on Brokaw's spine kicked in so he let that line of questioning drop.

I would like to see proof that all of his power is from renewable resources.  Unless he thinks hundreds of thousands of years is renewable. laugh
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2008, 04:35:24 AM »

I would like to see proof that all of his power is from renewable resources.  Unless he thinks hundreds of thousands of years is renewable. laugh

Perhaps there's just a large funnel over his home recording studio to capture the hot air and use it for power.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2008, 05:14:29 AM »
I would like to see proof that all of his power is from renewable resources.

A big 10-4 to that. I don't believe it for a second. They used his bills from the local utility company to calculate his usage. So he's the only one on that grid who they provide power to via renewable energy?

Plus, it's interesting that whenever I've done one of those "carbon footprint" surveys, my footprint goes up exponentially with just one commercial airline flight added. But he's bragging about how he's doing good by flying commercial.  rolleyes
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2008, 05:24:19 AM »
He could be getting his power from one of the many dams in TN via the TVA.  It's renewable, but it's not as if he did anything special to achieve it.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2008, 05:29:50 AM »
He could be getting his power from one of the many dams in TN via the TVA.

Gotchya -- forgot there's parts of the country that actually have enough water to do that. Smiley

PS -- but what about the poor fish? Tongue  laugh

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2008, 05:35:47 AM »
The poor fish can hold up dams as well.  I remember when I lived in TN, a large dam project was held up because of the Snail Darter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snail_darter_controversy

Chris