Author Topic: ALGORE says must go completely wind and solar within ten years  (Read 20412 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: ALGORE says must go completely wind and solar within ten years
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2008, 07:27:50 AM »
Well, strangely enough - in the new proposals to mandate a certain percentage of power must be from "renewable sources", hydro is not considered "renewable"  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2008, 05:59:12 AM »
Well, I'd consider hydro renewable, but from everything I've heard it's also mostly maxed out.  So if you include it in the renewable percentage, all you'd do is increase the renewable percentage goal by the current percentage of hydro power.  It ends up a wash anyways.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
Well, I'd consider hydro renewable, but from everything I've heard it's also mostly maxed out.  So if you include it in the renewable percentage, all you'd do is increase the renewable percentage goal by the current percentage of hydro power.  It ends up a wash anyways.

Well, that's the whole point.  The Northwest mostly uses "renewable" (well, non-consumptive and mostly non-polluting - if you don't get into things like stream silt) hydroelectric, but that won't count in the new regulations.  We have to somehow make up the % with wind and solar which will be a lot more expensive.

Oh yeah - and now the envirmentalists are talking about all the bats and birds supposedly killed by the Judith Gap wind farm  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2008, 09:54:54 AM »
When you get down to brass tacks, nothing will be acceptable.  Hydro kills fish, wind kills flying critters, I'm sure they'll find a problem with solar when it becomes widespread.  They'll keep moving from one unusable tech to another in the hope you'll just give up and live like it's 1900 all over again.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2008, 09:56:45 AM »
When you get down to brass tacks, nothing will be acceptable.  Hydro kills fish, wind kills flying critters, I'm sure they'll find a problem with solar when it becomes widespread.  They'll keep moving from one unusable tech to another in the hope you'll just give up and live like it's 1900 all over again.

Chris

Well, that plays into the most disturbing facet of extreme greens I see, now.

They hate humans. Literally.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2008, 09:59:19 AM »
They'll keep moving from one unusable tech to another in the hope you'll just give up and live like it's 1900 1800 all over again.

Fixed it for ya. Wink

The Ford Quadricycle was the first Ford vehicle ever developed, which led Henry Ford to build his empire.

On June 4, 1896 in a tiny workshop behind his home on 58 Bagley Avenue,[1] Henry Ford put the finishing touches on his gasoline-powered motor car. After more than two years of experimentation, Henry Ford at the age of thirty-two, had completed his first experimental automobile.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2008, 10:39:16 AM »

Exactly.

The goal isn't clean energy, it's atonement for the sin of being human.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2008, 10:52:05 AM »
"you'll just give up and live like it's 1900 all over again."

Oh No NO NO NO NO!

They DON'T want you living like it's 1900 all over again!

What was the most common fuel in 1900?

COAL.

God forbid that anyone burn any coal.

It releases sulphur dioxide, carbon dioixide and monoxide, and mercury into the environment.

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF MOTHER EARTH? WHY ARE YOU RAPING MOTHER EARTH?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2008, 11:13:26 AM »
WHY ARE YOU RAPING MOTHER EARTH?

Because Father Time isn't that hot.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2008, 11:23:28 AM »
They'll keep moving from one unusable tech to another in the hope you'll just give up and live like it's 1800 all over again.

That would be cool  smiley

Can I go out west and be a mountain man ? 

Hunt griz and have a squaw ?  cool

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2008, 05:38:36 PM »
no, mountain men abused Native/Original Americans and hunting defenseless animals to extinction, don'tcha know.  You can, however, be a ward of the state.

Chris

taurusowner

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2008, 08:34:29 PM »
You can, however, be a ward of the state.

YAY, pass the Victory Gin comrades, good times are commin.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2008, 08:40:01 PM »
Well, one thing's likely: if we really do revert to "1800" there aren't going to be a whole lot of liberals left when the dust settles...
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

taurusowner

« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2008, 08:47:48 PM »
Well, one thing's likely: if we really do revert to "1800" there aren't going to be a whole lot of liberals left when the dust settles...

Especially anti gun types.

Fending for yourself when the nearest lawman is a day's horseback ride away has a way of giving one an appreciation of firearms.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2008, 07:10:43 AM »
Back to 1800 ...

Which is best, fifty caliber or fifty-four caliber ?

Do you trust those newfangled percussion caps ?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2008, 07:42:20 AM »
1800's STILL no good!

WHALE OIL! WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE POOR WHALES!

Heartless bastards.

Oh, wait.

Silly me.

It's the fault of the whales if they get hunted.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

longeyes

• friend
ENVIRONMENTALISTS OPPOSE NEW CO2 SCRUBBER IDEA
ncpa.org ^ | July 23, 2008

Posted on 07/23/2008 8:58:33 AM PDT by InvisibleChurch

Scientists at Columbia University are developing a carbon dioxide (CO2) scrubber device that removes one ton of CO2 from the air every day, says the Heartland Institute.

While some see the scrubber as an efficient and economical way to reduce atmospheric carbon dioxide, many environmentalists oppose the technology because it allows people to use fossil fuels and emit carbon in the first place.

According to Columbia University physicist Klaus Lackner, who is leading the research team:

Producing a large number of CO2 scrubbers can keep to a minimum any rise in atmospheric CO2 without the economically painful elimination of inexpensive energy sources. This technology would allow people to use fossil fuels, which they will be using anyway, without destroying the planet. Environmental activist groups such as Greenpeace have consistently opposed similar technologies, such as carbon capture and sequestration, because they do not address what they see as the root of the problem, says the Heartland Institute.

"This is just one more piece of evidence that environmentalists aren't concerned about solving a problem," said Sterling Burnett, a senior fellow with the National Center for Policy Analysis. "Every problem, as they see it, is one way to restrict people's lifestyles, and if you come up with a technological fix that can solve a problem but doesn't require sacrifice and lets us go about our business the way we were before, they're not happy about it, even if it solves the problem."

Source: Krystle Russin, "Environmentalists Oppose New CO2 Scrubber Idea," Heartland Institute, August 1, 2008.

For text:

http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=23547

For more on Global Warming Impacts and Responses:

http://eteam.ncpa.org/issues/?c=impacts-and-responses

For more on Global Warming:

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_Category=32
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2008, 08:13:41 AM »
"While some see the scrubber as an efficient and economical way to reduce atmospheric carbon dioxide, many environmentalists oppose the technology because it allows people to use fossil fuels and emit carbon in the first place."

And there you have it.

Their argument at its very heart.

That's the kind of crap we're dealing with.

m1911owner

• friend
"This is just one more piece of evidence that environmentalists aren't concerned about solving a problem," said Sterling Burnett, a senior fellow with the National Center for Policy Analysis. "Every problem, as they see it, is one way to restrict people's lifestyles, and if you come up with a technological fix that can solve a problem but doesn't require sacrifice and lets us go about our business the way we were before, they're not happy about it, even if it solves the problem."

Yep, pretty much.   rolleyes

I was particularly amused a few years back when a Fleischmann and Pons thought they had discovered a simple way to do cold fusion.  After years of screaming their mantra of "solar power, wind power, wave power, nuclear fusion", the environmentalists immediately after the Fleischmann and Pons' announcement, with no actual information about how their process worked and/or what byproducts it might produce, the very next day started proclaiming, "Fusion power BAD!"   angry

Iain

• friend
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2008, 08:44:03 AM »
I heard environmentalists killed a conservative baby just to watch it die.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2008, 04:42:45 PM »
"Every problem, as they see it, is one way to restrict people's lifestyles, and if you come up with a technological fix that can solve a problem but doesn't require sacrifice and lets us go about our business the way we were before, they're not happy about it, even if it solves the problem."

Not to mention that if the perceived problem is solved they either have to:

A) Get a real job and become productive members of society....or
B) Dream up a new hoax they can sell to the sheeple that'll keep the money coming in.

These bastages are professional parasites and control freaks.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2008, 06:09:33 PM »
Really!?   Got a link to that one?  Must of been those ELF guys. 

laugh
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2008, 06:12:47 PM »
My old boss looked at a system to remove CO2 from our stack gases using a big amine system.  The goal was to either purify it and sell it or recycle it back into the feed gas for the SMR.  It is possible, but you have to find a home for the CO2.  Our country doesn't drink quite enough Soda Pop. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2008, 09:44:43 AM »
Really!?   Got a link to that one?  Must of been those ELF guys. 

laugh
What's the world coming to when you can't even trust the elves?