Author Topic: Officer Accused Of Threatening Starbucks Managers For Free Coffee  (Read 7033 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
How soon does he get his job back?

http://www.local6.com/news/16904043/detail.html

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- A police lieutenant in Daytona Beach was fired over accusations that he threatened slower emergency response times if he was not given complimentary specialty Starbucks coffee drinks.

An internal police investigation found that Daytona Lt. Major Garvin received free coffee for about two years from a city Starbucks coffee store.

However, when recently denied free coffee from new management, Garvin allegedly told managers that he could change the police department's response time if they refuse to give him complimentary drinks.

Garvin is accused of saying, "If something happens, either we can respond really fast or we could respond really slow. I've been coming here for years and I've been getting whatever I want. I'm the difference between you getting a two-minute response time, if you needed a little help, or a 15 minutes response time."

However, when confronted about the comments, police said Garvin agreed to take a polygraph test.

When asked whether or not he threatened managers with adverse response times, Garvin responded, "no."

But polygraph test results suggested that the officer was lying, Local 6's Tarik Minor reported. Garvin was then fired.

Starbucks employees said Garvin visited the Starbucks store six times a day during his shifts and intimidated some workers during visits.

"I want somebody protecting my streets who is honest and trustworthy," Starbucks customer Adam Cuddy said. "So, if he is going to fail a polygraph, whether it is about coffee or anything, I don't know how comfortable I feel as a citizen being protected."

The investigation also revealed that Garvin requested the complimentary coffee even when he was not on duty.

Garvin was hired by the department in 1993.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: Officer Accused Of Threatening Starbucks Managers For Free Coffee
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 12:44:47 AM »
Bad cop. No doughnut...and no coffee.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

mike

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 12:51:59 AM »
This guy should be in JAIL!! police

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 01:24:48 AM »
Until youse guys have walked his beat, a single six white chocolate frappachino(s) in hand(s and strewn about his car), you have no right to judge the fine boy in blue.

He is just trying to get home to his family while still overcaffeinated.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 03:23:10 AM »
I thought "making false statements" was a crime.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 03:51:52 AM »
But polygraph test results suggested that the officer was lying, Local 6's Tarik Minor reported. Garvin was then fired.

I hope they had other evidence besides the pseudoscientic BS of polygraphy.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Paragon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 04:17:11 AM »
Wow, 6 times a day for 2 years?  Lets assume he worked 5 days a week, and visited the store 5 times a day (I'm sure there were days he wasn't in there 6 times).  A $4 a pop for a iced mocha thingy, he would have consumed over $10 grand in frilly drinks.  Wow.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 04:18:43 AM »
He's the only one in this room caffeinated enough to have a gun, that's for sure.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 04:33:04 AM »
Looks like he's back on the job.

Local6.com/Lt.MajorGarvin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 05:00:32 AM »

You didn't click on the link, did you. cheesy

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 06:49:55 AM »
Looks like he's back on the job.

Local6.com/Lt.MajorGarvin

What a shock.  Look how far the man has fallen.   laugh
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 07:18:51 AM »
You guys think his statements were the result of caffeine addiction?

I'm thinking so.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 07:24:09 AM »
If Big Caffine had not been pushing its poison on the hard working officers in this sleepy southern town....
 grin rolleyes grin
7-11 was a part time job.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 07:46:40 AM »

Probably not much beyond a store full of managers, employees and customers.   But they're civilians, so they don't count.   police

grin
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 07:49:26 AM »
So extortion is legal if you're a cop now? Oh wait, I forget that losing your job for a cop is just as bad as going to jail for everyone else.  rolleyes

And cops wonder why some people don't like em. It's not because they do bad illegal things all the time. Any profession has bad apples, and I suppose overall their rate of badness isn't much higher than the general population. It's because they can do illegal things, then not get punished.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 08:32:52 AM »
What?  Nobody's hatin on Starbucks yet?  Not even Manedwolf?  And I thought I knew you people.   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 08:40:22 AM »
Greater evil Fistful, greater evil. Wink

Chris

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 08:40:29 AM »
Probably not much beyond a store full of managers, employees and customers.   But they're civilians, so they don't count.   police
 grin

I have no problem with testimony from witnesses.  I just dislike stories where polygraphy is referenced as if the things are of any real use.  You might as well use a ouija board.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 08:44:23 AM »
I'm more just thinking that it'd have more regional impact.

Here, a lot of people carry concealed. So, "slow police response" if someone tried to hold up the place with customers present, especially the coffee places I like to stop at?

One, you're pissing off a lot of people before they've had their caffeine fix.
Two, a good percentage of those people are likely carrying concealed.

Slow response? Not a problem. grin

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 11:31:15 AM »
 grin

I have no problem with testimony from witnesses.  I just dislike stories where polygraphy is referenced as if the things are of any real use.  You might as well use a ouija board.
Actually, it is somewhat better than flipping a coin, but no one really nows how much better, nor does any one have a real answer to how reliable it actually is.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 11:53:31 AM »
 grin

Poly's are slightly better than ouija boards.   Assuming the polygrapher is fairly compotent.  But yes, they are not sufficient for proof of guilt in a court of law. 

They are enough to deny or strip you of a clearance. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 01:05:26 PM »
Having to drink Starbucks coffee is punishment enough....and any police office who LIKES the stuff has some serious judgement issues.....better take him off the streets and put him somewhere he can't do too much damage......make him Assistant Chief....  police
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 02:29:16 AM »
... I've been getting whatever I want
Running into alot of people like this these days; it is not something confined to a few peace officers.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2008, 04:46:18 AM »
Bad cop. No doughnut...and no coffee.

With the amount of sugar they put in their "coffee" drinks, he doesn't need the doughnut.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.