Author Topic: Tornado Outside my Office  (Read 977 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Tornado Outside my Office
« on: September 09, 2005, 06:46:29 AM »
All I saw was the sky get black as night and tree branches flying past my office window. Since my desk is next to my windows, I promptly got up and headed to the interior hallway, didn't feel like picking glass out my hide if a branch hit the windows. All over with in less than 3 minutes. I thought it was stright line winds or a top dropping out of a thunderstorm. Turned on the 10 pm news when I go home after night class to find out it was a tornando that was outside my office.

I've been through a few tornados, part of living in Iowa, but this one has to be the quietest one yet, didn't hear the tell tell roar of the wind and my windows are not exactly energy efficent.

Charby

NWS: Tornado Touches Down In Ames
Seven People Injured In Storm

POSTED: 2:13 pm CDT September 8, 2005
UPDATED: 7:20 am CDT September 9, 2005

DES MOINES -- A strong thunderstorm system swept across Iowa Thursday afternoon bringing strong winds and heavy rain. KCCI Chief Meteorologist John McLaughlin said severe thunderstorms produced winds of 60 to 70 mph.

Ames had flash flooding and downed trees and light poles, and the National Weather Service reported that a tornado touched down near the Agronomy Building on the Iowa State University campus. Heavy rain and winds left damage in their wake.

Once the storm blew through, the sun was shining and university crews were able to get to work cleaning up the mess. Uprooted trees and fallen branches created a hazards on campus. Seven people had minor injuries. One person was injured enough to be taken to Mary Greeley Hospital.

While the storm created a lot of damage, it did give a class of future meteorologists a chance to track a storm and witness it firsthand as blew past their classroom.

I look across the courtyard and I could see kind of a swirl of debris coming off the roof across Agronomy, said student Chris Conoan.

The strong winds ripped down tents and knocked over several portable toilets at Jack Trice Stadium, which were already set up for Saturday's big Iowa-Iowa State football game.

While the tornado was confirmed in Ames, there were no watches or warnings issued. That left a lot of students on campus and people in Ames scrambling for cover.

The storm rolled through the Des Moines area just before 1 p.m. It dumped rain very quickly on the city.

Water flooded the streets and parking lots and shot out of storm sewers. In Ankeny, 75 mph winds knocked down trees and branches.

Investigators said the heavy winds caused an accident on Interstate 80. A pickup truck with a fifth wheel was traveling on I-80 near Altoona when a strong gust knocked off the fifth wheel, which slammed into a median wall. A semitrailer behind the pickup also was blasted by the gust. It, too, crashed into the median. There were no serious injuries in the crash.

Earlier, the storm damaged trees in Calhoun County near Rockwell City. There are also reports of significant damage in the northwest Iowa town of Everly.

Mid American Energy said power was knocked out to about 8,700 customers at one time. At 5 p.m. Thursday, about 3,300 people were still without power.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Azrael256

• friend
Tornado Outside my Office
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 09:52:56 AM »
I've seen a few myself.  One of them did exhibit the usual freight train sound.  One just sort of slipped on by down the road near my old house.  Sometimes it comes in the middle of a heavy downpour, and sometimes it comes in the humid silence right after a thunderstorm.  

Tornados are extraordinarily unpredictable animals.  It's best to be underground, or just somewhere else when one comes to town.  Glad to hear you did the smart thing and didn't stick around for the show.