Author Topic: Waiting for home invasions to start!!  (Read 27007 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Waiting for home invasions to start!!
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2008, 12:57:40 PM »
Always best to keep the "shoot-'em-up" postings to nill......and remember the "Oregon Spotted Owl" solution..... Wink
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2008, 05:21:29 PM »
meh.

I make a joke about ammo capacity in SD weapons using Mike's tiger example and nobody noticed because of a simple comment. 

Chris

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 05:56:01 PM »
...at a residence down the road. Seems that a "gang" comprised of 4-5 younger punks and there fat female sidekick have been the ones robbing and pilaging lately.

I was just getting ready to say that it was likely somebody living close by. The word was probably out on who it was, too.

You'd be amazed at how much of an impact just one criminal family can have. I live in a city of 250,000, or thereabouts, and two cousins were finally taken down by the law after stealing everything that wasn't nailed down. It was widely known that these two were a big problem, even outside law enforcement. It's amazing they didn't stop a bullet or serve as batting practice. They were also teaching their kids how to steal too. Anyway after these two were caught, car thefts dropped considerably. Unfortunately they only got five years.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 06:46:28 PM »
cat. converters stolen from their car and basically any precious metals IEcopper, aluminum, brass) stolen from their homes

Here in Philly they've already stolen all the precious metals and they're moving on to IRON now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/23/us/23manholes.html?hp

2,500 manhole covers have been stolen here this year.  In a normal year, about 100 get stolen.  And it's not just the dangerous neighborhoods, either.  I have a 0.7 mile commute (aka walk) to work each way, and in that short distance I pass three different stolen manhole covers.  And this is in South Philly, not Southwest or North.  They haven't moved on to grates or storm drains yet, but it's only a matter of time.  And who knows what they'll be stealing when all of those are gone.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2008, 07:41:22 PM »
Wow everyone getting into a snit and bringing out $0.50 words.  Am I still in the Armed Polite Society or is this the Underground Democratic Underground?

grin
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 05:32:54 AM »
meh.

I make a joke about ammo capacity in SD weapons using Mike's tiger example and nobody noticed because of a simple comment. 

Chris

Trust me, I got it.

God only knows how many times I've been told that I'm "not serious" about protecting my life because I don't carry about 300 rounds of ammunition with me at all times.

I got one guy seriously cranked at me one time when I responded with "I don't need to carry X number of reloads, I can actually hit my target."

Cheesy
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 06:38:18 AM »
meh.

Chris

Trust me, I got it.

God only knows how many times I've been told that I'm "not serious" about protecting my life because I don't carry about 300 rounds of ammunition with me at all times.

I got one guy seriously cranked at me one time when I responded with "I don't need to carry X number of reloads, I can actually hit my target."

Cheesy

Well, yeah, but do you carry a .45???

Tongue

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 07:05:59 AM »
No, I carry either a .22 or a .38 Special.

Occasionally I'll carry a 9mm or a .357 Mag.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 11:06:13 AM »

Cheesy

Amazing how many people think you have to carry enough ammo to break in the gun again or you're a dead duck.....and the "crazed biker gang" always seems to come into the discussion. People forget that, in that situation, you'd have to shoot most of them before they give up...they only have to shoot one person.....really sucks to be you in that situation.....

My response to guys like that is, "How many times are you planning to miss?".......  laugh
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2008, 11:17:14 AM »

Cheesy

Amazing how many people think you have to carry enough ammo to break in the gun again or you're a dead duck.....and the "crazed biker gang" always seems to come into the discussion. People forget that, in that situation, you'd have to shoot most of them before they give up...they only have to shoot one person.....really sucks to be you in that situation.....

My response to guys like that is, "How many times are you planning to miss?".......  laugh

If you can't do it with eight rounds, you're either a lousy shooter, or you are in combat. In which case, you ought to have a rifle. smiley

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2008, 01:38:18 PM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008, 04:35:02 PM »
the proper name for a group of tigers is "streak".  It isn't used often because tigers are solitary animals.

I thought about using "pack", but I figured some pedant would correct me.  Turns out the pedant didn't know the correct term either. Wink

Chris

This comment was quite the riot at the local Pendant's monthly club meeting...Cheesy

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2008, 10:38:08 AM »

If you can't do it with eight rounds, you're either a lousy shooter, or you are in combat. In which case, you ought to have a rifle. smiley

I'm of the opinion that I'm likely going to be a worse shot in an extreme situation than I am at the range. I read reports all the time of trained cops/soldiers/ what have you having to fire 10+ shots to resolve a situation with a lone attacker. It's reasonable in that view to carry a single spare magazine for your Glock.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2008, 10:40:22 AM »
It's reasonable in that view to carry a single spare magazine for your Glock.

Just go with the 33 rounder,
1. You don't have to worry about changing mags because it holds a lot more.
2. It would be pretty intimidating.

grin
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2008, 11:40:36 AM »

I'm of the opinion that I'm likely going to be a worse shot in an extreme situation than I am at the range. I read reports all the time of trained cops/soldiers/ what have you having to fire 10+ shots to resolve a situation with a lone attacker. It's reasonable in that view to carry a single spare magazine for your Glock.

And if those 10+ missed shots hit an innocent bystander beyond, since you're not a cop, you're going to jail.

You can't miss that much. If you think you'd miss that much, practice more. Take a course where they use simunitions and surprise you. SIG Academy runs one that does just that in a parking structure.

Self-defense shootings tend to have two things in common.

1. They're at very close range.
2. They're over in mere seconds, one way or another.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2008, 11:45:28 AM »
It's reasonable in that view to carry a single spare magazine for your Glock.

Just go with the 33 rounder,
1. You don't have to worry about changing mags because it holds a lot more.
2. It would be pretty intimidating.

grin

But with my luck the extended mag would hang up on my pants and I would accidentally shoot myself in the jewels.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2008, 11:48:30 AM »
Please explain this to me again. What is the DISadvantage to carrying a second magazine again?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2008, 12:14:53 PM »
Please explain this to me again. What is the DISadvantage to carrying a second magazine again?

1. It's time-consuming unloading cartridges from it into your revolver.....  grin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2008, 12:38:39 PM »
I expect someone will come into this thread and claim carrying a backup gun is bad, too.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2008, 12:48:20 PM »
I expect someone will come into this thread and claim carrying a backup gun is bad, too.

Well, that only makes sense because you won't have time to clear a malfunction if your primary weapon jams.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2008, 04:05:32 PM »
Well, that only makes sense because you won't have time to clear a malfunction if your primary weapon jams.

If you took care of it that wouldn't happen, Tongue
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2008, 04:10:19 PM »

If you took care of it that wouldn't happen, Tongue

Uh. I take PERFECT care of my firearms. And malfunctions CAN still happen. It's why you're taught how to clear them quickly, but some malfunctions might not be immedately able to be cleared.

I think you need to take a defensive firearms course.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2008, 04:15:27 PM »
Uh. I take PERFECT care of my firearms. And malfunctions CAN still happen. It's why you're taught how to clear them quickly, but some malfunctions might not be immedately able to be cleared.

And people can do all they can to make sure there home is secure and yet they CAN STILL be broken into. Tongue

I think you need to take a defensive firearms course.

I wouldn't mind taking one, can't do anything but help. Plus I have to take a handgun course anyways to get my concealed license here in Kansas, it sure was a lot easier to just pay $10 in SD, Sad

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2008, 02:28:36 AM »

Let's get back on topic here.

"Interfenestral"?  Is there such a word? 

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
in·ter·fen·es·tra·tion   Audio Help   /ˌɪntərˌfɛnəˈstreɪʃən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[in-ter-fen-uh-strey-shuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
noun 1. a space between two windows. 
2. the art or process of arranging the openings in a wall. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Origin: 181525; inter- + fenestration]

Related forms
in·ter·fe·nes·tral   Audio Help   /ˌɪntərfəˈnɛstrəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[in-ter-fuh-nes-truhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation, adjective
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

OK, so it is a word.  But if monkeys are penetrating the spaces between windows I seriously doubt Buckey B. Katt would have to worry about them.

How's that for being pedantic?

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2008, 02:23:29 PM »
No, I carry either a .22 or a .38 Special.

Occasionally I'll carry a 9mm or a .357 Mag.

But nothing that starts with a "4"?  Good grief, you euro-weenie, you might as well not carry anything!

shocked
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.