Author Topic: Uncle's thinking about getting a suppressor  (Read 1461 times)

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Uncle's thinking about getting a suppressor
« on: July 23, 2008, 12:54:04 PM »
So he goes up to a shop the other day and talks to the owner about getting a .223 suppressor for his AR-15.
He says he'd be switching between a .22LR kit and the .223.
The shop owner points out that the AR-15s usually have a twist rate of 1 in 9 while .22LR has 1 in twelve.
He says that this would cause the bullet to...sort of go nuts in the can and damage it.  I forget what he called it, something like a "buff shot". 
Anyone got any input on this?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Uncle's thinking about getting a suppressor
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 05:22:22 PM »
Maybe he means that the .22 bullet will strike the wipes.

I've had good luck with a .22 conversion that I've used on my rifle.  It's a Ciener drop-in bolt replacement, but the barrel is still a 1:9 twist.  I didn't notice any accuracy loss in 25 yards, which means to me that the bullet isn't going nuts in the can.

For an in depth discussion, check out AR15.com, rimfirecentral.com, and Zak Smith's website for suppressor info.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 08:23:02 PM »
I just hate it when gun shop owners or workers are totally clueless.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 08:28:27 PM »
Maybe he means that the .22 bullet will strike the wipes.

I've had good luck with a .22 conversion that I've used on my rifle.  It's a Ciener drop-in bolt replacement, but the barrel is still a 1:9 twist.  I didn't notice any accuracy loss in 25 yards, which means to me that the bullet isn't going nuts in the can.

For an in depth discussion, check out AR15.com, rimfirecentral.com, and Zak Smith's website for suppressor info.
Yea sounds good.  He's posted at AR15.com but hasn't gotten a reply so far, so I figured I'd ask here.
I just hate it when gun shop owners or workers are totally clueless.
That's the first thing I thought.   rolleyes
It sounds weird that more twisting would make things worse, but the more I learn about guns and ballistics the more I realize that physics is weird.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 08:47:43 PM »
I know that in the military my M4 is a 1 to 7 and the same ammo is used in other rifles that are 1 to 9.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

PTK

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 08:49:37 PM »
.22 lr 40gr will stabilize in a 1-in-9" barrel. The real issue is that .223 cans are sealed and the .22lr will lead it up badly. Two different silencers is the best option...
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."