Author Topic: Analyst Says Prices Could Go To $3.50 A Gallon By Labor Day  (Read 14378 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
http://cbs2chicago.com/local/gas.prices.drop.2.778351.html

CHICAGO (CBS) ― Finally, there's some good news about gas prices. They've dropped nationwide by about a nickel, and as CBS 2's Susan Carlson reports, analysts are predicting even bigger drops through the rest of the summer.

For the first time in awhile, drivers can fill up at the pump without a pained expression.

"We saw a substantial drop in the price of crude oil, which it appears gas station owners were in a hurry to pass on to consumers," said Phill Flynn, Vice President an Senior Market Analyst at Alaron Trading.

AAA reports gas prices in the Chicago area are averaging $4.25 a gallon Wednesday. That's down from $4.27 Tuesday, and $4.33 last Friday.

"So often we hear gas prices rise like a rocket and drop like a feather, this time, they're starting to drop like a rock and that's a good thing," Flynn said.

That's partly because demand is down about 4 percent from where it usually is. Many people have put the brakes on driving this summer because it costs too much.

The promise of a bargain has many people flocking over the border. At a gas station on Indianapolis Boulevard in Hammond, Ind., CBS 2 found gas for just $3.75 a gallon.

"I rehab houses in the area, Gary and so forth, so it's worth the while to drive over from Crete," said Troy Brown.

Customers are pouring into Luke's Gas Station from the south suburbs and other parts of Indiana.

"I'm just over in Highland, a few miles away, and as soon as you cross over into Hammond, the gas is at least 10 cents cheaper," Suzanne Stinnett said.

But soon, you may not have to go as far as Hammond to get a good deal. Analysts say right now, gas prices are on track to keep plummeting through the end of the summer.

"We could see $3.70 in the city and if we get really lucky, maybe $3.50 by Labor Day," Flynn said.

Too bad Paddy wasn't still around.  Not too long ago people were talking of $5 a gallon by Labor Day. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

taurusowner

Re: Analyst Says Prices Could Go To $3.50 A Gallon By Labor Day
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 09:35:12 PM »
Pretty elementary really.  That's how free markets work.  You can only sell something for the price people are willing to pay for it.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 09:38:57 PM »
It is amazing at the speed oil prices dropped when Bush revoked the ban on off shore drilling.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 09:45:43 PM »
That's just a coincidence.  grin
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 09:46:57 PM »
Imagine how much more they would drop if Congress follows suit.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 05:18:21 AM »
Don't you people realize how EVIL this is? I have to go to the gas station today and pay 25 cents a gallon less for diesel than I was paying last week. This is terrible. Prius sales will suffer because of this. Damn that George Bush and his oil buddies.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 05:34:31 AM »
Do you folks remember when gas was going up ten cents at a time?  Everyone groaned as they passed a gas station.  Now the price is coming down one cent at a time and people are celebrating!

The plan is working exactly as layed out by the oil companies.  Jack the prices up for no really good reason, wait until people get used to it, then trickle out a few carefully planned insignificant cuts, and WOW, the price stays higher artificially and people thank the government.

All a bunch of BS angry

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 05:35:40 AM »
Do you folks remember when gas was going up ten cents at a time?  Everyone groaned as they passed a gas station.  Now the price is coming down one cent at a time and people are celebrating!

The plan is working exactly as layed out by the oil companies.  Jack the prices up for no really good reason, wait until people get used to it, then trickle out a few carefully planned insignificant cuts, and WOW, the price stays higher artificially and people thank the government.

All a bunch of BS angry

Um...no, actually.

The speculation market trades in futures. If there's a future assurance of increased supply, guess what happens to the price?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 06:05:13 AM »
$3.50 gallon, whoopee  rolleyes

Ugh - I remember when it jumped from about 35 cents up to 48.9 cents per gallon  shocked

I thought the world was ending.  I had just bought a brand new 4-wheel drive pickup.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 06:09:25 AM »
$3.50 gallon, whoopee  rolleyes

Ugh - I remember when it jumped from about 35 cents up to 48.9 cents per gallon  shocked

I thought the world was ending.  I had just bought a brand new 4-wheel drive pickup.

I remember not buying a really nice looking Dodge Dart Swinger in the early 90s because I was concerned about the gas mileage when gas was a whopping $.99/gal.

It was the mythical "grandmother's car", but had fresh paint and a really clean interior.  Would've been fun to drop a big engine in it, upgrade the drivetrain, etc.

Chris

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 06:13:42 AM »
Crude is down $20 a barrel over the last week or two.  I wonder how many of the pajama speculators are getting margin calls?  Leverage can be a scary thing when it's working against you.   grin

Gas prices are down about 35 cents from their peaks.  They show no sign of halting their slide, either.  I guess the world isn't going to end after all.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 06:14:38 AM »
Crude is down $20 a barrel over the last week or two.  I wonder how many of the pajama speculators are getting margin calls?  Leverage can be a scary thing when it's working against you.   grin

I want them to be forced to take delivery.

"Mr. Smith, the contract has expired for your 80 barrels of North Sea Brent. Please provide the location of your tankage, and we'll determine the delivery and pumping fee."

macadore

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 06:17:49 AM »
Pretty elementary really.  That's how free markets work.  You can only sell something for the price people are willing to pay for it.

The free market is a myth. In the late seventies and early eighties OPEC (i.e., Exxon, et al) cut of oil supplies to the U.S. and drove independent refineries into bankruptcy. Then they reversed course and dropped oil prices below the break even prices in the U.S and drove out thousands of independent domestic oil producers. They could do this because they have deep pockets and no one to stop them. Now we are at their mercy and they have no mercy. After the U.S. spends billions on alternative domestic energy OPEC will drop the price again and drive domestic energy producers into bankruptcy again so they can keep us at their mercy.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 06:19:51 AM »

All a bunch of BS angry

Um...no, actually.

The speculation market trades in futures. If there's a future assurance of increased supply, guess what happens to the price?

I guess if you buy into real supply and demand economics ruling the marketplace, you would choose to believe that.  However, I don't believe that our gas driven economy really works that way.  My memory tells me it has been controlled since 1974.  The only relief was the brief respite of the Reagan economy followed by the screwed up mess we have now.  Unfortunately I don't see any real relief in sight.  The government just passed another mega billion package to prop up the housing market instead of letting the free market place run its course.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 06:27:56 AM »
If Evil Big Oil Corp has complete control the price of oil, then why on earth are they letting it fall so fast?  Heck, why are they letting it fall at all?

Or are the current falling prices also part of the illusion?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 06:29:36 AM »
"However, I don't believe that our gas driven economy really works that way."

OK, you have a belief.

What's your PROOF that your belief is actually true, rather than a slightly paranoid conspiracy theory?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 06:37:28 AM »
"The free market is a myth. In the late seventies and early eighties OPEC (i.e., Exxon, et al) cut of oil supplies to the U.S. and drove independent refineries into bankruptcy."

Nice theory.

Doesn't match with reality.

Prior to 1979 Iran was the largest middle Eastern supplier of oil to the United States. The Shah was a very close ally of the US, even closer than the Saudis.

When the Iranian Revolution occurred, that not only broke the close US-Iranian alliance, it also resulted in Iran's oil production dropping by nearly 70% for a year or more until the situation stabilized.

Even after it stabilized, Iran's oil production was about 40% less than what it had been in the Shah's days, largely because the Revolutionary government EJECTED most of the foreign oil companies, including Exxon.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 06:56:25 AM »
I remember not buying a really nice looking Dodge Dart Swinger in the early 90s because I was concerned about the gas mileage when gas was a whopping $.99/gal.
Whoa!  It that ever a blast outta the past!  My dad bought one.  Ran like a sewing machine.  225 cu in slant 6 engine.  Easy to work on.  Durable.  A true babe magnet.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 07:06:20 AM »
Price of gas is dropping for 2 reasons.  World economy is slowing down.  Second, markets are beginning to see the US will get serious about domestic oil production. 

I think democrats will cave on domestic drilling.  The pressure is highly focused and very intense.  The only question is what will republicans will give away to finally seal the deal.  At this point I predict democrats will agree to drilling in ANWR as long as it is government owned drilling (aka "nationalized drilling").  Republicans will agree just to chalk up a win in the run up to the election.  Democrats will want drilling to go away by that time.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 07:09:41 AM »
What really sucks is I need gas prices to stay high.  That way the prices on all of the gas guzzling SUV's, trucks and or classic cars will stay down.  At least until I get home and can buy what I want.  Got a great deal on my Suburban because it was bought right after Katrina went through and people dumped a lot of SUV's at that time.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 07:11:22 AM »
Oil markets are also seeing a sustained drop in the amount of gasoline that US consumers are using.

June usage was down 2.4%.

May not seem like much, but that's a huge amount for a nation that lives and dies by our cars.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 07:12:49 AM »
What really sucks is I need gas prices to stay high.  That way the prices on all of the gas guzzling SUV's, trucks and or classic cars will stay down.  At least until I get home and can buy what I want.  Got a great deal on my Suburban because it was bought right after Katrina went through and people dumped a lot of SUV's at that time.

Amen to that.  I'm looking to buy an F250 in the next month or so.  Prices have never been better!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 07:18:27 AM »
Been checking out Evilbay for vehicles and even a lot of the classic V8's are coming down in prices some.  Of course I am would be in the market for a resonably priced 60's era Mustang.

Plus I am looking at a motorcycle but the prices on new ones really aren't much of an issue even with gas prices where they are.  The biggest issue is getting one that I would want.

macadore

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 01:19:33 PM »
"The free market is a myth. In the late seventies and early eighties OPEC (i.e., Exxon, et al) cut of oil supplies to the U.S. and drove independent refineries into bankruptcy."

Nice theory.

Doesn't match with reality.

Prior to 1979 Iran was the largest middle Eastern supplier of oil to the United States. The Shah was a very close ally of the US, even closer than the Saudis.

When the Iranian Revolution occurred, that not only broke the close US-Iranian alliance, it also resulted in Iran's oil production dropping by nearly 70% for a year or more until the situation stabilized.

Even after it stabilized, Iran's oil production was about 40% less than what it had been in the Shah's days, largely because the Revolutionary government EJECTED most of the foreign oil companies, including Exxon.

Reality;

1.   The government of Saudi Arabia owns 51% of ARAMCO. Exxon and some other international oil companies own the other 49%.
2.   These international oil companies have similar deals with numerous other countries.
3.   In the late seventies, these countries curtailed oil shipments to the U.S. and raised prices.
4.   U.S. oil prices had been regulated since WWII. In the early eighties U.S. oil was bringing $16.00 per barrel while oil was bringing $40.00 per barrel on the world market. The oil companies said that if the U.S. deregulated oil prices and let them float on the world marker, domestic production would increase and our dependence on imported oil would decrease. Congress and the President deregulated oil prices in the early eighties.
5.   Upon deregulation, independent domestic oil producers invested millions of dollars increasing production. 
6.   International oil companies had, and still have, leases to drill on thousands of acres in the U.S. They did not drill and are still not drilling. Does anyone wonder why?
7.   After domestic producers had gone millions of dollars into debt, these countries and the international oil companies flooded the market and dropped prices to $10.50 per barrel. At the time the average break even price in the U.S. was $12.50 per barrel. Under Clinton, oil dropped to $8.50 per barrel. This gutted domestic production and put around 250,000 people out of work. It also caused the savings and loan companies to crash. George Bush I bailed out the savings and loan companies but let the home owners sink. Is this a free market or mercantilism?
8.   After gutting domestic oil, the international oil companies and the countries they own started raising prices again.
9.   This time, we are investing billions in domestic energy production. Expect oil prices to drop again and another round of U.S. bankruptcies when it looks like we might become able to wean ourselves off of imported oil. 

Like most Baby Boomers, I used to believe in the free market. I was duped. We are at the mercy of international robber barons as long as worship at the shrine of the free market.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 01:24:37 PM »
Egads, man.  It's a Riley Redux.