Author Topic: Sound waves, goo guns won't be used on DNC protesters  (Read 2612 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Sound waves, goo guns won't be used on DNC protesters
« on: July 24, 2008, 12:13:28 AM »
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/23/denver-wont-use-sound-wave-or-goo-weapons-conventi/

Denver officials expect to spend more than $18 million on police equipment for the Democratic National Convention  but the purchases apparently won't include high-tech weapons that use sonic waves to incapacitate protesters or goo guns to immobilize them.

That information, provided by the city to the American Civil Liberties Union as part of an agreement to delay a public records lawsuit, marks one of the most detailed looks yet at the super-secret efforts to provide security for the convention, scheduled Aug. 25 to 28.

The ACLU sued Denver in May under the state's public records law after city officials refused to provide documents showing how they were spending millions of dollars on police equipment.

"This budget overview reaffirms to the public our goal to provide the most effective and comprehensive security possible while maintaining an event that is inclusive and enjoyable for all," Mayor John Hickenlooper said in a statement issued by his office.

Denver police officials have been extremely circumspect in answering questions about either their security plans for the convention or their equipment purchases.

This afternoon, for example, Deputy Chief of Operations Michael Battista spoke in only general terms about equipment purchases when he was asked about them by City Councilwoman Jeanne Faatz.

"I'm purchasing equipment that's going to protect my officers," Battista said.

Later, the city disclosed more details about its purchases, which currently are projected to come in at $18.2 million.

They will not include non-lethal weapons that use "slime" or "goo" to immobilize protesters or that use microwaves or sonic waves to induce pain or other discomfort. Some convention watchers had alleged that the city might purchase a weapon that would cause people to defecate.

I would tell the ACLU go to hell.  And I wouldn't have told anyone about what was or wasn't going to be purchased.  Why give anyone a chance to defeat something before you put it in place?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: Sound waves, goo guns won't be used on DNC protesters
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 12:52:36 AM »
Tell the truth...weren't you hoping to see that "poo gun" in action?  laugh
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 01:12:44 AM »
I know I was.  And at the sametime Denver or anyother city shouldn't have to divulge what they are going to use against rioters.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 01:28:50 AM »
Guess all those "green" protesters will have to make do with petroleum-based (rubber) and heavy metal (lead) crowd control like the rest of us....  rolleyes
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 01:33:29 AM »
Well there also is CS and the four legged variety.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 04:20:41 AM »
Some convention watchers had alleged that the city might purchase a weapon that would cause people to defecate.

They're liberals. They already have a device that enables them to do that.

All that comes out of their mouths.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 04:39:59 AM »
I know I was.  And at the sametime Denver or anyother city shouldn't have to divulge what they are going to use against rioters.
I think that specific tactics and stategy are potentially off limits, but what they are spending tax payer money on is not.

One would think that goo guns and other non-lethal options would be preferable to the ACLU over lead.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 04:43:20 AM »
I think that specific tactics and stategy are potentially off limits, but what they are spending tax payer money on is not.

One would think that goo guns and other non-lethal options would be preferable to the ACLU over lead.

No even the equipment is off limits.  If you know the equipment in advance you can counter act the device.  There are several pieces of equipment in the military arsenal that are classified for that very reason.  Why shouldn't police forces be allowed to use the same rules?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 04:50:57 AM »
Because cops aren't militarized enough already.....

In any case, I'm getting ready to enjoy the show at the convention. Here's hoping it's 68 redux.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 06:00:14 AM »
To keep the protesters away, all they need to do is re-broadcast the convention over loud speakers and all that spew would drive away anyone with half a brain......chris3

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 07:58:38 AM »
To keep the protesters away, all they need to do is re-broadcast the convention over loud speakers and all that spew would drive away anyone with half a brain......chris3

Yes, but all those with less then half a brain are drawn to it like bugs to a porch light.....Therein lies the problem......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 08:42:46 AM »
Tell the truth...weren't you hoping to see that "poo gun" in action?  laugh

Yes, and then have Ned post about the "results" here on APS so that we all could then discuss it.... rolleyes
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 08:53:20 PM »
Given the neo-hippies that will show up, soap and water should be enough to keep them at bay.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 11:22:07 PM »
I find it amusing that its the DNC that's the most worried about protesters.  One would think it would be the RNC that would be having all the problems.  cheesy
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth