Author Topic: The Grey Poupon Avenger  (Read 6151 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
The Grey Poupon Avenger
« on: July 24, 2008, 12:21:00 AM »
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0723082grey1.html

Cops: Utah motorist pulled gun on mustard-seeking prankster

JULY 23--Meet Vitaly Kovtun. According to Utah cops, Kovtun was behind the wheel last month when a car pulled up to his SUV at an intersection. After gesturing to the 22-year-old Kovtun to roll down his window, passenger Stephen Cox asked, "Excuse me, sir, do you have any Grey Poupon?" Kovtun responded, police charge, by pulling a handgun from his glove compartment, cocking the weapon, and leveling it at the prankster's auto. "Here's your Grey Poupon, roll your f***ing windows up," Kovtun said, according to a probable cause affidavit. Kovtun was charged yesterday for the June 18 incident, having been tracked down by cops after another occupant of the second car wrote down his license plate number. When questioned by police, Kovtun admitted that he, "pulled out his handgun and racked the slide back towards the victims in a threatening manner," according to the July 22 District Court affidavit. Charged with felony aggravated assault, Kovtun was booked yesterday into the Salt Lake County jail, where the below mug shot was snapped.

That is why you don't go around hollering at people that you don't know.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

De Selby

• friend
Re: The Grey Poupon Avenger
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 12:25:23 AM »
I'm almost glad they hollered at this guy-now he's got a record to give the world notice that he's a psycho.  Hopefully he'll be permanently deprived of the right to possess firearms before this is all over.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 12:30:57 AM »
I am not saying it is ok for the guy to pull the gun and threaten people, but showing an example of why you don't go around these days pulling stunts like this.  It could have easily gotten worse for both sides.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 12:49:31 AM »
I am not saying it is ok for the guy to pull the gun and threaten people, but showing an example of why you don't go around these days pulling stunts like this.  It could have easily gotten worse for both sides.
True. Humans are strange - stay away from them.TM
If convicted, I suspect they're going to really, really, really like young Vitaly in prison.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 12:51:31 AM »

Agreed-I was saying more in the line of "hey, glad those turkeys took the heat for the rest of us....now we know he's a psycho."

Definitely not smart on the part of the pranksters...
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 12:52:45 AM »
True. Humans are strange - stay away from them.TM
If convicted, I suspect they're going to really, really, really like young Vitaly in prison.

If he's that unbalanced, it may just turn out that Vitaly ends up being the guy some other hapless inmate was warned about...

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 01:32:23 AM »
Good thing the kid didn't ask for barbecue sauce.....I've seen fistfights over barbecue sauce.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 01:35:00 AM »
Good thing the kid didn't ask for barbecue sauce.....I've seen fistfights over barbecue sauce.....

Seeker, do you not remember the Grey Poupon commercials?

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 01:46:49 AM »

Seeker, do you not remember the Grey Poupon commercials?

Yep....you ever been to a serious barbecue competition?.....it can get cut-throat, sometimes.....  shocked
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 01:49:33 AM »
Yes I have.  Worked some as security.  All the free beer and bbq I could drink and eat, plus I got paid for it.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 03:56:24 AM »
I remember the Grey Poupon commercials . . . what a screwball, to pull a gun on a harmless prankster . . . asking for Grey Poupon may be annoying, but it's not threatening.

I just ignore and try to avoid those who show annoying behavior - I'm not going to escalate things to the next level by responding in kind. (Which would be a bad idea, as I'm normally armed when I'm behind the wheel. "Escalation" is a bad word if you're licensed to carry a gun in Texas.)

On the (very) rare occasions when some actual road rager tries to start something with me, I smile, shrug, wave, and let the effing idiot think I'm apologizing for whatever the heck he thinks I did. HE gets to drive off thinking he's alpha-male King of the Road, and I don't have to shoot him.

That's a good outcome in my book.  angel
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 04:09:02 AM »
I'm almost glad they hollered at this guy-now he's got a record to give the world notice that he's a psycho.  Hopefully he'll be permanently deprived of the right to possess firearms before this is all over.

You think he should be permanantly banned for owning firearms due to this incident?
That's stupid.
Surely, he should face some concequences, possibly a fine, jail, etc, but permanant ban from self defense?

No.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 04:13:49 AM »

According to my dad, it has also been done over the radio between a British Airways 747 and Learjet the latter had pulled up close with while waiting on clearances. cheesy

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 04:15:55 AM »
Yeah...no...silly harmless prank...they weren't asking to be threatened....throw this guy in jail and toss the key.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 05:13:59 AM »

You think he should be permanantly banned for owning firearms due to this incident?
That's stupid.
Surely, he should face some concequences, possibly a fine, jail, etc, but permanant ban from self defense?

No.

Actually, I'd say yes.

If it transpired as it is reported, the man threatened someone with a deadly weapon for absolutely NO reason.

That's not just a felony in most states, it's a violent felony involving a firearm.

Sorry, but using a firearm in the commission of a felony should result in your loss of rights because you've proven that you're simply not responsible.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 05:16:59 AM »

That's stupid.

No.

Yes.

The only reason to pull a firearm is a lethal threat. This guy committed violent assault with a lethal weapon FOR NO REASON. Pointed the muzzle of a loaded firearm at another human being with the intent of deadly threat.

Jail, convicted felon, loss of firearms rights. People like this are the ones who kill innocent people.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 05:23:25 AM »

That's stupid.

No.

Maybe not permanent, but the dude did pull out a weapon and threaten someone else with it over words

And not even an insult at that.  A stupid joke like that should either get a laugh or an eyeroll, not a brandishing.

If that idiot can't handle firearms in a more responsible manner, he doesn't need them.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 08:21:11 AM »
Charged with felony aggravated assault

Should also charge him with felony failure to have a sense of humor  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 08:38:37 AM »
If he had drawn a bottle of Grey Poupon and blasted it all over their car it would have been awesome. Idiots waving guns around is the least thing any of us in the firearms community want.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 09:24:39 AM »
Yes I have.  Worked some as security.  All the free beer and bbq I could drink and eat, plus I got paid for it.

See.....they even need security at those BBQ competitions....  police   grin

Actually, if someone knocked on my car window and asked for Grey Poupon, I'd tell them "Sorry. I don't have any. But I can introduce you to this guy named Ned......"    laugh

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 12:31:21 PM »
We used to pull the Grey Poupon prank all the time as teenagers.  Not once did anyone get angry.  Some people ignored us, most laughed like hell.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 12:31:57 PM »
We used to pull the Grey Poupon prank all the time as teenagers.  Not once did anyone get angry.  Some people ignored us, most laughed like hell.

and the Bugle Boy jeans dealio also.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 12:57:16 PM »

That's stupid.

No.

Yep, I'd say jail, fine, AND permanent loss of self defense.

Even with those measures, this character is likely to make headlines again, probably for something a lot worse.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 01:41:24 PM »
i'm with disarming the idiot for good.

he wasn't in danger. he sounds like he has some serious rage issues, and rage issues don't mix with CCW.

not to mention the fact that if the brady bunch uses stories like this to screw us.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 01:47:30 PM »
You people are totally misreading this whole thing.  According to the story, he pointed the gun at HIMSELF, and pulled the slide back toward the pranksters. 

Kovtun admitted that he, "pulled out his handgun and racked the slide back towards the victims in a threatening manner,"

Get a brain, morans. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife