Author Topic: Obama scraps visit to wounded troops  (Read 8279 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Obama scraps visit to wounded troops
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2008, 02:44:04 PM »
most soldiers i know would need to be provoked. are too disciplined to just go off in a normal setting  might walk away
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2008, 05:55:35 PM »
What c&sd wrote.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

taurusowner

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 12:49:13 PM »
most soldiers i know would need to be provoked. are too disciplined to just go off in a normal setting  might walk away

I didn't say flip out and start swearing, just when Obama's making his rounds and asking stupid PR questions, tell him what they think of his policies and such.  He's not Commander in Chief yet.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 01:01:54 PM »
I can't think of a single soldier that pays attention to politics and is a Democrat.  I can't think of anyone who has expressed real interest in Obama either.

Maybe things have changed, but doesn't the military tend to have a higher percentage of Blacks than the general population?  And Blacks are tending pretty strong toward Obama.  Now, they may not talk about it much with their co-workers in the military...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 01:31:30 PM »
This was posted on another board, a supposed email from someone stationed in Afghanistan. I can't verify it, but I have no reason to believe it's false, based on what's said.

"Hello everyone,

As you know I am not a very political person. I just wanted to pass along that Senator Obama came to Bagram Afghanistan for about an hour on his visit to "The War Zone". I wanted to share with you what happened. He got off the plane and got into a bullet proof vehicle, got to the area to meet with the Major General (2 Star) who is the commander here at Bagram. As the Soldiers were lined up to shake his hand, he blew them off and didn't say a word as he went into the conference room to meet the General. As he finished, the vehicles took him to the ClamShell (pretty much a big top tent that military personnel can play basketball or work out in with weights) so he could take his publicity pictures playing basketball. He again shunned the opportunity to talk to Soldiers to thank them for their service. So really he was just here to make a showing for the American's back home that he is their candidate for President. I think that if you are going to make an effort to come all the way over here, you would thank those that are providing the freedom that they are providing for you. I swear we got more thanks from the NBA Basketball Players or the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders than from one of the Senators, who wants to be the President of the United States. I just don't understand how anyone would want him to be our Commander-and-Chief. It was almost that he was scared to be around those that provide the freedom for him and our great country, but the press> reported this story in a completely different light than it happened. This is scary, people!! If this is blunt and to the point, I am sorry, but I wanted you all to know what kind of person he really is. What you see in the news is all fake, but you will never hear this story in the news!!!!!

In service,
CPT XXXXX
Battle Captain
TF Wasatch

The author of that email has recanted what he said:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/afghanistan.asp

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2008, 03:22:33 PM »
It isn't so much that soldiers tend to be Republican or conservative, it's that they're strongly pro-American.  Unicorns are more common than pro-American Democrats running for national office.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 12:03:23 PM »
I saw some show talking about Obama's reason for canceling the visit to the troops, but it didn't make much sense since it was put on his overseas schedule to begin with and he didn't seem to have that problem in Iraq. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge