Author Topic: Boy, 11, bites pit bull to fend off attack  (Read 2977 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Boy, 11, bites pit bull to fend off attack
« on: July 24, 2008, 11:57:10 PM »
http://www.newsweek.com/id/148619

(SAO PAULO, Brazil) An 11-year old boy is in Brazil's media spotlight after sinking his teeth into the neck of a dog that attacked him. Local newspapers reported on Thursday that Gabriel Almeida was playing in his uncle's backyard in the city of Belo Horizonte when a pit bull named Tita lunged at him and bit him in the left arm.

Almeida grabbed the dog by the neck and bit back  biting so hard that he lost a canine tooth.

Almeida tells the O Globo newspaper: "It is better to lose a tooth than one's life."

Stonemasons working nearby chased the dog away before it could attack again.

The Folha de S. Paulo newspaper said the boy received four stitches at a local hospital while the dog was taken to a pound and may be killed.

Good for him.  How many others would have thought of doing that.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
Re: Boy, 11, bites pit bull to fend off attack
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 12:10:39 AM »
Almeida grabbed the dog by the neck and bit back  biting so hard that he lost a canine tooth.

"Man bites dog, loses canine. More at eleven."
Look, tiny text!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 01:59:00 AM »
It's not the kid in the fight, but the fight in the kid.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 03:58:58 AM »
I bit my friends cat once.  Don't know if I would do it to a pit........

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 04:29:25 AM »

I have my doubts that even a full bore bite from an adult human is going to cause enough pain/damage to a pit to make it think it's being attacked.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 04:31:25 AM »

I have my doubts that even a full bore bite from an adult human is going to cause enough pain/damage to a pit to make it think it's being attacked.

Your jaw is the most powerful muscle in your body.

There's recorded cases of people biting each other's finger's off, so I bet you could injure a dog.

Certainly not my preferred method of self-defense against raging pit bulls.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 05:02:08 AM »
Depends on how game the pit is. There is at least one documented case of a pit with both front legs broken pushing itself across the ring to continue the fight. Those dogs can be tough little bastards.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 05:18:51 AM »

There's recorded cases of people biting each other's finger's off, so I bet you could injure a dog.

Yeah, a handgun is much better.  Less fur in the mouth.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 05:22:21 AM »

Handgun? Handgun? Ha!

Nothing is better than a select-fire subgun.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 05:25:10 AM »

Handgun? Handgun? Ha!

Thermonuclear warhead?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 07:07:57 AM »

Handgun? Handgun? Ha!

Thermonuclear warhead?

From orbit - it's the only way to be sure.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 07:36:24 AM »

Handgun? Handgun? Ha!

Thermonuclear warhead?

Nothing beats a relativistic bomb.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 08:30:33 AM »
On Pits, I dunno. I've come awfully close to shooting one that bluff charged, luckily I didn't have to draw since I was carrying concealed in Montgomery county Maryland. rolleyes I don't really fear any one dog since if I can control their head they can't hurt me. Several dogs? Not my idea of fun. Now for biting dogs, that's what happens when one takes a nip at me. Choked, dropped on the ground on it's back, and bit hard on it's ear while growling. Mimics a dominant dog laying the smackdown pretty good.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 09:12:46 AM »
Funny story about biting a dog....

It's about a "friend" of mine....let's, for the sake of ease, call him "Mark"....Mark had a dog that was the sweetest little ball of fur in the world....Especially when she wasn't biting someone....She was a Wheaten mix....She liked to bite.  A lot....many puppy classes, advice from peers, internet research, etc, could not solve this biting problem....Great dog, just sometimes liked to snip to try to establish dominance.

Well, one night, this guy we're calling Mark had a rough evening.  He had spent a good portion of the day and evening helping to clean out the liquor cabinet....there were just WAAAAAAY too many open bottles of different things....Mark was nice enough to finish a few bottles to make room for new ones.  It was tough work, but Mark was just the man for the task.

Needing a break from all of his hard work, our hero limped out to the back deck to light a cigar...He was sitting, while, actually, it was leaning, and the dog jumped up and bit him in the leg...she was playing....our hero was much to tired from all of the work to play, so he was bit a second, and a third...

On the way by Mark to go and bite someone else, the pup was swooped up in the air, spun around and was promptly, and very firmly bitten in the ear.  Once the pup winced, a bit stronger pressure was applied, and then a tearful yelp emitted from said pup.

The pup was then put down....and, for some reason, never bit again....

One day at a time.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 10:06:56 AM »

Handgun? Handgun? Ha!

Thermonuclear warhead?

Nothing beats a relativistic bomb.

A thought bomb does... (if you get it, then you know how to find it on Wookiepedia....)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 10:08:09 AM »
Yeah, but the idea is not to kill the pit, but to make him think "Gee... this little human thing is a bit more of a badass than I thought... maybe I should leave now..."  Which appears to be what happened.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 12:14:12 PM »
      Being quite a bit larger than the 11 year old, I'd use one or both hands to hold it's scruff, while looking for the right object over which to break it's back. Probably not possible for a small kid.

Whether or not he could HURT the pit bull with his teeth is irrelevant...if he could keep his teeth fastened to the dogs neck, the dog can't get IT's teeth around to fasten on the child's neck...which I think should be the primary objective for an 11 year old being attacked by a pit bull. The tiger by the tail analogy so to speak. HOLD ON until help arrives.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"