Author Topic: Happy Meal Toy Could Be Mistaken For Weapon  (Read 8941 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Happy Meal Toy Could Be Mistaken For Weapon
« on: July 26, 2008, 05:12:54 AM »
WTF is McDonald's thinking?

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=8739768

Police are asking parents to pay extra attention when they purchase their child a Happy Meal from McDonald's. News On 6's Rusty Surette reports officers are concerned about the fast food chain's new Spy Gear toy.

McDonald's new Spy Gear toy is enough to keep children entertained, but the laser light coming from them could be a hazard to police.

"It could be misinterpreted by an officer or another person as a weapons sighting system and whoever perceives the threat could react in an unfortunate manor," Norman Police Capt. Leonard Judy said.

Norman police are hoping the meal toy doesn't create an unhappy encounter with an officer who thinks the light may be coming from a real weapon.

Russell Burgess, a father of two, agrees.

"I would see where they might have confusion, but if you're a responsible parent keeping control of your kid, I don't see where there would be a problem," Burgess said.

Police are taking no chances. They asked that parents keep a close eye on children who are playing with the "Secret Wrist Beam" and other similar toys.

"If a child does have access to a laser device of any kind, parents are strongly encouraged to monitor their use of that," Judy said.

McDonald's plans to give the toy with Happy Meals for one week. After the week's end, it will then distribute the "Spy Guard Motion Alarm," a toy that has a siren.

The corporate offices for McDonald's were contacted, but could not be reached for a comment.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Happy Meal Toy Could Be Mistaken For Weapon
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 05:25:14 AM »
AFAIK, they're not lasers, they're a red LED with a lens.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 05:33:55 AM »
Well I don't doubt that.  However, I don't have access to a McDonald's.  The closest one I know of is in Kuwait and they don't sell Happy Meals.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 05:42:16 AM »
Yeah....I think WTF is this police department thinking?   
Fearmongering 101.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 05:42:33 AM »
Well I don't doubt that.  However, I don't have access to a McDonald's.  The closest one I know of is in Kuwait and they don't sell Happy Meals.

They could expand into the extremist market in other countries around there by selling Unhappy Meals? The food isn't halal and can't be eaten, and there's a broken toy with tag saying that it's Israel's fault. Wink

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 05:47:27 AM »

They could expand into the extremist market in other countries around there by selling Unhappy Meals? The food isn't halal and can't be eaten, and there's a broken toy with tag saying that it's Israel's fault. Wink

Well the one I am speaking of is actually on a CF base in Kuwait.  It is the base you fly in and out of as you come into theater.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 05:54:27 AM »

Well the one I am speaking of is actually on a CF base in Kuwait.  It is the base you fly in and out of as you come into theater.

Yes, I know. It's not exactly the target market, the entire region outside bases. People would be wondering why Hamburglar still has hands.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 06:07:25 AM »
Global locations
 Argentina
 Aruba
 Australia
 Austria
 Azerbaijan
 Bahamas
 Bahrain
 Bangladesh
 Barbados
 Belarus
 Belgium
 Botswana
 Brazil
 Bulgaria
 Canada
 Chile
 People's Republic of China
 Hong Kong
 Macau
 Taiwan
 Colombia
 Costa Rica
 Croatia
 Cyprus
 Czech Republic
 Denmark
 Dominica
  Dominican Republic
 Ecuador
 Egypt
 El Salvador
 Estonia
 Fiji
 Finland
 France
 Georgia
 Germany
 Greece
 Grenada
 Guatemala
 Guyana
 Honduras
 Hungary
 Iceland
 Italy
 India
 Indonesia
 Ireland
 Israel
 Jamaica
 Japan
 Jordan
 Kuwait
 Latvia
  Lebanon
 Lithuania
 Malaysia
 Malta
 Mauritius
 Mexico
 Moldova
 Morocco
 Netherlands
 New Zealand
 Nicaragua
 Oman
 Pakistan
 Panama
 Peru
 Paraguay
 Philippines
 Poland
 Portugal
 Puerto Rico
 Qatar
 Romania
 Russia
 Samoa
 Saint Lucia
 Saudi Arabia
 Serbia
  Singapore
 Slovakia
 Slovenia
 South Africa
 South Korea
 Spain
 Sri Lanka
 Sweden
 Switzerland
 Syria
 Thailand
 Trinidad and Tobago
 Turkey
 Ukraine
 United Arab Emirates
 United Kingdom
 Cayman Islands
 United States
 American Samoa
 Guam
 United States Virgin Islands
 Uruguay
 Venezuela
 Yemen
 Zimbabwe

The list of where there are McDonald's.  They are in Kuwait.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 06:49:10 AM »
What exactly would the situation be like where a police officer would mistake a kid with a toy, one that doesn't even look like a gun, as a laser being emitted from one. Have they never even heard of laser pointers. How often do they have guns with laser pointers pointed at them that it just becomes a reaction to think that they have a gun pointed at them whenever they see a laser light.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 07:24:04 AM »
What exactly would the situation be like where a police officer would mistake a kid with a toy, one that doesn't even look like a gun, as a laser being emitted from one. Have they never even heard of laser pointers. How often do they have guns with laser pointers pointed at them that it just becomes a reaction to think that they have a gun pointed at them whenever they see a laser light.

If it is dark and all you see is a red dot on you, your first instinct is laser sight.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 07:34:10 AM »

If it is dark and all you see is a red dot on you, your first instinct is laser sight.

I seriously doubt it's a laser. I think it's what's in the Nerf guns now. A T 1 3/4 red LED behind a cheap plastic lens. It makes a messy splotch of light on a wall out to about eight to ten feet, then it's just a flashlight.

If there's any sort of "dot", they are standing right next to the kid. It's a red flashlight.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 07:35:57 AM »
Can someone maybe go get one of these and report back in to the masses?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 07:43:33 AM »
I don't think they're offering those around here now.  I ate at McD's with my family the other day.  Both me and Abby got happy meals and neither one had the spy toys.  I got a transformer, she got some bobblehead thing.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 07:50:26 AM »
"Both me and Abby got happy meals and neither one had the spy toys."

The difference is she's four...

And she can use the English language properly.

Quick, everyone! A rousing chorus of the pedant song!   laugh
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 08:10:08 AM »
And she can use the English language properly.

Quick, everyone! A rousing chorus of the pedant song!   laugh

Tongue

Next time I'm posting while simultaneously talking to my wife and installing Linux on a Mac Cube, I'll remember to consult my grammar guide in order to not offend you. Wink

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 08:13:55 AM »
Aw... He wants a cookie for being a multi-tasker...

Isn't that cute...  grin

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 09:08:10 AM »
Go drink your metamucil old man. Cheesy

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
Dammit, I forgot to take mine before I left the house this morning.

*expletive deleted*it.

Or in this case, no *expletive deleted*it I'm afraid...  laugh

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 10:10:50 AM »

Contrast that with your sig: If you can make it past the humidity of doom, the beltway of death, and the Abby of unremitting pain, you're welcome to what little crap I've got.

Chris

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 11:29:06 AM »

wmenorr67: In your situation, it's a good instinct. For the LEO patrolling the McKids playground or most residential neighborhoods, not so much.....

Any shooter outside of a war zone should remember Rule #4.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 11:36:10 AM »

*expletive deleted*it.

Um, yeah.....I know where that one's going.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 12:00:36 PM »

*expletive deleted*it.

Um, yeah.....I know where that one's going.

We really need to make Ned a moderator for threads like this.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 04:22:23 PM »
danny, a boy that a coustomer/friend of my employers had one when they came to pick up there dogs today. it does not appear threating and its 'laser beam' is just a rather weak red light. folks, its just a neat toy. nothing more.
 rolleyes

and why didn't they have cool crap like that when i was a kid.  angry
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 07:45:57 PM »

wmenorr67: In your situation, it's a good instinct. For the LEO patrolling the McKids playground or most residential neighborhoods, not so much.....

Any shooter outside of a war zone should remember Rule #4.....

Hell I would have a better chance of being shot while walking the streets in the US than I do overhere right now.

danny, a boy that a coustomer/friend of my employers had one when they came to pick up there dogs today. it does not appear threating and its 'laser beam' is just a rather weak red light. folks, its just a neat toy. nothing more.
 rolleyes

and why didn't they have cool crap like that when i was a kid.  angry

What you still aren't a kid.  My wife tells me everyday I am here biggest kid, and I am 40. grin

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2008, 03:39:14 AM »
About Spy Gear Happy Meal prizes:
Secret Wrist Beam: a wrist-mounted gadget that transforms to reveal a bright red laser-like light.
Spy Guard Motion Alarm: a padlock-style alarm with siren.
Spy Disc Defender: a hand-held disc shooter; discs are launched from a secret storage compartment beneath a flip-top lid.
Invisible Message Pen: a pocket-sized covert communication system with one invisible ink pen and one revealer pen.
Rear View Spy Scope: two tools in one  a magnification lens to see distant objects close-up, plus a pop-out mirror to monitor what's going on behind you.
Mobile Message Bot: a rev-and-release vehicle that automatically pops its top to reveal encrypted messages, readable only by the spy facing the device.

http://www.happymeal.com/en_US/standalone.html?s=BoyIntro&swfH=450&swfW=772&bs=girlintro&swf=/en_US/swf3/sections/toys/boyintro/intropreloader.swf&bgc=%23000000&ID=#BoyIntro
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"