Author Topic: Critical Mass in Seattle: cars vs. bicycles  (Read 10400 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Critical Mass in Seattle: cars vs. bicycles
« on: July 29, 2008, 06:45:16 AM »
An interesting article in today's (7/29/08) Seattle Times about a Critical Mass ride last week. 

Emotions still running high after Critical Mass confrontation
By Sara Jean Green
Seattle Times staff reporter

It's supposed to be a rolling protest, a way to show a community just how many of its citizens use two wheels instead of four.

But one local cycling advocate says participants in Seattle's monthly Critical Mass rides are doing more harm than good to the bicycling community  and may even be pushing back efforts to smooth relations between motorists and cyclists.

"Critical Mass isn't doing Seattle any good  it's a rolling party," said Chris Cameron, director of the bicycle-commute program for the 10,000-member Cascade Bicycle Club. Critical Mass rides are held monthly in cities around the world to draw attention to cyclists' road rights.

A melee erupted Friday night in Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood between a motorist and a group of Critical Mass cyclists. The driver and cyclists blame each other for escalating the incident into a violent clash that sent two men to local hospitals, two men to jail and a battered Subaru Impreza to an impound yard with $1,500 in damages.

Since then, the fight has gone online, with drivers and cyclists trading venomous insults  and offering differing versions of events  on local blogs and news sites.

Depending on who you talk to, Mark, a 23-year-old travel agent who lives on the Eastside, is either the aggressor or the victim at the center of Friday's altercation. But Tom Braun, a Seattle attorney who was run over by Mark, said the cyclists didn't provoke the fight that started when Mark floored his Subaru into a group of people.

Mark, who asked that his last name not be published because he is afraid for his safety, said Monday he found himself and a friend in an unfamiliar part of Seattle about 7 p.m. Friday as they headed to pick up another friend to go out to dinner.

Mark said Monday that he saw the mass of bicyclists and thought he'd accidentally driven into the Seafair Torchlight Parade route, so he pulled into a parking spot along Aloha Street to allow them to pass. But he said when he tried to pull back into traffic, he was blocked by cyclists who positioned themselves around his vehicle.

He admits he was angry and frustrated at being delayed  but panic and fear soon took over as the cyclists started rocking his car, saying they were going to tip it over. Mark said he revved his engine but didn't think his car was in gear. After it stalled, he restarted the engine in order to get away but says he didn't realize he hit two cyclists.

"I completely panicked and I was scared," he said. "I just felt completely cornered and threatened."

But Braun, the injured attorney, said it was Mark whom he saw acting "aggressive and belligerent" when Braun, who had been riding at the back of the Critical Mass pack, crested a hill on Aloha Street.

The Subaru was parked perpendicular to the street, and was backed over a sidewalk and someone's front lawn, said Braun, 36. He stopped and stood straddling his bike to watch as the cyclists tried to calm the driver.

"He was screaming the whole time and yelled something about being late for a [dinner] reservation  and he floors it, he literally floors it into a bunch of people and I took the brunt of it," he said.

A woman was also hit but jumped free, he said, and a man jumped onto the hood of the car to avoid being hit. But Braun  and his bike  got pulled beneath the vehicle.

"I was trying to hold onto the front and the bumper. I was pinned under the car, struggling for my life," he said. When Mark made a sharp left, a tire ran over Braun's right leg, but somehow, he managed to roll free of the car.

He didn't see what happened next.

But that's when, Mark said, he was mobbed by the cyclists, who shattered his windshield and rear window, dented the sides of his car, slashed his tires and tore off his driver's side mirror. As he stepped out of the Subaru, someone smashed something hard across the back of his head. He later learned it was likely a bike lock. Doctors stapled the wound closed.

"I didn't start the incident  they provoked it," Mark said. "I freaked out and overreacted. I should've turned my car off and waited for them to leave."

Mark said he thinks at least some of the Critical Mass riders were looking for a fight: "They were obviously equipped and intending to get in confrontations with motorists." Still, he's sorry others were hurt: "I want to apologize to the people I hit."

Though Braun declined medical treatment at the scene, he later went to the emergency room. No bones were broken but doctors are monitoring him for possible internal bleeding, Braun said.

A Seattle police report echoes Mark's version of events, but Braun said the officer who took his statement seemed to have already made up his mind "that this mob of crazy cyclists attacked this driver out of the blue." Even after hearing Braun's story, the officer told him: "Well, this is the way it's getting written up," Braun said.

Two cyclists  a 23-year-old and a 24-year-old  were booked into the King County Jail on suspicion of malicious harassment, a felony charge connected to the damage done to the Subaru. Both have since been released after posting $1,000 bonds, jail records show.

Seattle police are looking for a third man who is suspected of assaulting Mark with a bike lock, said police spokesman Mark Jamieson.

Like Braun, others who witnessed Friday's altercation are still shaken and say Mark should also be charged.

"I wish I didn't see this whole thing on Friday ... because it's terrifying to see someone intentionally driving into a group of bikers, and zooming off with a person on top of the car," wrote Esra, a Critical Mass participant, in an e-mail to The Seattle Times on Monday.

"I think tire slashing was a brilliant idea, but I wish nobody hit the driver on the head," wrote Esra, who asked that his last name not be published because of a fear of backlash. "I still believe, and will fight for it that driver wasn't the 'victim' and he started this whole mess, and he should be charged for what he did."

Jamieson said police commanders will look at how Critical Mass events are conducted. The investigation into Friday's incident is ongoing, and Jamieson couldn't say Monday whether Mark is likely to face charges.

Regardless of what happens in court, Cameron of the Cascade Bicycle Club said everyone involved behaved badly and is responsible for escalating the situation.

"The motorist should face charges, absolutely  he was in a 3,000-pound weapon that accelerated and hit somebody," Cameron said. "It was hooliganism on the cyclists' side, a mob mentality. They overreacted."

Still, he thinks tension between motorists and cyclists has actually decreased in recent years as drivers have become more accustomed to sharing the road with bicyclists.

Friday's clash "was an aberration," said Cameron. He said local Critical Mass rides haven't done anything to improve conditions for the riding public.

"It's kind of a merry pranksters event in Seattle versus the rolling protest I believe the original founders of the movement wanted to communicate," he said.

A Web site about Critical Mass events around the world  critical-mass.info  states that the monthly rides along urban streets are "intended to be a celebration, not an opportunity to cause trouble.

"Those who want to try to tie up traffic as much as possible and be confrontational with motorists are missing the point," the Web site states. "We can assert our right to the road without being rude about it. Focus on the ride, not on the cars that also happen to be on the road."

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Critical Mass in Seattle: cars vs. bicycles
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 06:48:25 AM »
CM is nothing but a chance for hipsters to cause a scene and protest "something".

One of the guys in my mtb club had a run in with CM riders: http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/showthread.php?p=117767#post117767

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 06:49:06 AM »
FWIW, we have a very good bike advocacy group here in the DC area: WABA.  They do real work, affect real change.  CM makes life tough for them.

Chris

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 07:28:34 AM »
I don't know what the real story is since I didn't see what happened, but from what I've read it sounds very much like these "critical mass" cyclists make a habit of going out and looking for a fight.

If that's the case . . . tough luck for them when they find one.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 07:30:01 AM »
In Seattle, our worthwhile bicycle organization is the Cascade bicycle club.  I was coming out of my office in downtown Seattle once when a CM ride went by. I would estimate that about 75% of the participants were the hipster/grunge types on fixed gear bikes.  All of the local CM rides here are in downtown Seattle, so I have never participated.  There have been some accidents and police involvement caused by the blocking of the intersections.  After our local CM did a couple of rides right through downtown at rush hour, which messed up the commuter traffic horribly, the SPD cracked down on them to an extent.  

You have to think of what would have happened in this situation if the Subaru driver was a member of the Pink Pistols and happened to be carrying when someone hit him on the head with a U-lock.  I have several U-locks: they are large, heavy and I would not want to be hit in the head with one.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 07:35:56 AM »
Critical Mass is a lot like the Anon. protests of ElRon'ers. They accomplish nothing except breaking laws for no reason, annoying people, and making the idiots who participate feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 05:21:21 PM »
From what I've read of Critical Mass events and participants, they're not really into cycling so much as using bikes as a vehicle (ha ha) for protest in general. They very much remind me of a Lycra clad version of the G-8 protesters.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 05:48:57 PM »
Outlaw bicyclists!  grin

[though I don't have a problem with the G-8 protesters]
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 06:13:15 PM »
though I don't have a problem with the G-8 protesters

I'm referring to the ones in black scarves and hoods that smash windows and burn cars, which they did in Seattle a few years ago.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 06:22:47 PM »
Find their patchouli smelling coffee shop and go after all the spoke with wire cutters? Or maybe just half the spokes on a wheel to make life fun. Grease the rim where the brakes run? Steal the seats?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 06:32:23 PM »

I'm referring to the ones in black scarves and hoods that smash windows and burn cars, which they did in Seattle a few years ago.

I remember reading in Newsweek about 'training camps' for civil disobedience in Canada where they teach hippies to chain themselves to stuff, confront riot police, etc.

There are two separate problems I identify:

1. I view modern society as horribly unjust and screwed up, and I believe that political globalism only makes it moreso. As such, I think it can only be fixed by a revolution (hopefully a nonviolent one).

2. I view people who protest against the powers that be as people whose hearts are in the right place, even if I don't share their views necessarily. I however understand that because of how the human mind works, most radicals (even those I agree with) tend to be sort-of-crazy bohemian folks. It has nothing to do with the content of their views. Finally, I understand that when you have a large protest with a lot of people who really don't like 'The Man', and cops who really don't like those people, sometimes crap happens.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 06:59:48 PM »
This thread is full of a whole slew of totally awesome reasons to never, never, ever, live in the Pacific Northwest.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 07:22:02 PM »
This thread is full of a whole slew of totally awesome reasons to never, never, ever, live in the Pacific Northwest.

Bah.  So long as you don't live in Portland or Seattle, you're fine.

And this kind of BS happens in other regions, too.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 01:19:51 AM »

There are Critical Mass rides in just about all major metro areas.

Chris

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 03:27:31 AM »
That could've turned ugly if they guy in the car had had a CCW.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 03:30:03 AM »
I like how these incident always transpire in bastions of sweetness and light such as Seattle. grin

Whether it is a mob of dogs or a mob of men, same mentality.  The group gives them the courage to misbehave.  I don't know if Ecotopia is to be avoided, but groups certainly should be!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 03:47:03 AM »
. . .  most radicals (even those I agree with) tend to be sort-of-crazy bohemian folks.
In my observation, many (not all!!) of the activist radicals - the ones who riot, burn stuff, vandalize cars and buildings, stop traffic, etc. - are either unemployed or underemployed, still living off of Daddy's paycheck, an inheritance, or mooching off a spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend, and have plenty of time on their hands to cause mischief.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 04:27:23 AM »
CM is nothing but a chance for hipsters to cause a scene and protest "something".

One of the guys in my mtb club had a run in with CM riders: http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/showthread.php?p=117767#post117767

Chris

I participated, once, in SLC.  Just a bunch of hippys looking for trouble.  After they decided to not obey the rules of the road to "protest"....I told 'em to 'eff off and went home.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 05:31:25 AM »

There are Critical Mass rides in just about all major metro areas.

Chris

They had a critical mass group in Dallas, but they ended up road pizza (I suspect), as I have never heard a thing about them in 9 years.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 05:42:43 AM »
. . .  most radicals (even those I agree with) tend to be sort-of-crazy bohemian folks.
In my observation, many (not all!!) of the activist radicals - the ones who riot, burn stuff, vandalize cars and buildings, stop traffic, etc. - are either unemployed or underemployed, still living off of Daddy's paycheck, an inheritance, or mooching off a spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend, and have plenty of time on their hands to cause mischief.

I see a lot of this claim cropping up elsewhere. Frankly, I don't care. I see nothing wrong with living off another person's chairty, or your inheritance. You inherit money, it's yours.

I don't see a moral duty to work the nine-to-five.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 05:45:04 AM »
I see a lot of this claim cropping up elsewhere. Frankly, I don't care. I see nothing wrong with living off another person's chairty, or your inheritance. You inherit money, it's yours.

I think the point was that people who have jobs don't have time nor the desire to break other people's stuff to make a statement.

Chris

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 05:48:09 AM »

I think the point was that people who have jobs don't have time nor the desire to break other people's stuff to make a statement.

Chris

I think you will find a lot of the people who complain about "dem dirty hippies who protest because they're unemployed and have the time to" also protest against the sort of peaceful civil disobedience you'll find at antiglobalist rallies.

The fact someone has a job is at best an excuse for not protesting. Not a justification.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 06:09:50 AM »

I am looking forward to their antics at the Dem convention.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 07:27:45 AM »
Critical Mass Strikes Again : Looks like they went for New York this time. http://www.democracynow.org/2004/8/30/critical_mass_over_260_arrested_in
Some 5,000 cyclists gathered in Union Square Park for Critical Mass, a monthly bike ride around Manhattan. New York police arrested 264 peoplemany of them were held for 24 hours. [includes rush transcript]

Help

Printer-friendly version

Email to a friend

Purchase DVD/CD
LISTEN
WATCH

MP3 Download

More&

More than half a million people took to the streets yesterday to protest the Republican agenda in New York. The march was largely peaceful, but the day was hardly without incident. After the six-hour long march, protesters did not just pack up their signs and go home. Various groups spread out across the city holding demonstrations and actions into the late hours of the night and many of them were met with violence at the hands of the NYPD.

In the Theatre District, a massive police presence greeted protesters who had launched a peaceful yet relentless verbal assault campaign on Republican delegates attending Broadway theaters as guests of The New York Times.

Police conducted indiscriminate arrests without warning, catching protestors, bystanders, legal observers and some members of the press using plastic fencing and netting material to fence them in.

Plainclothes officers riding unidentified mopeds, were deployed on the streets of Times Square where they rushed dangerously onto pedestrian sidewalks to block protesters" movements, and pen them in for arrest. Protesters chanting at delegates coming out of theaters were forced away by police who often followed them for several blocks. National guild lawyers said police ordered protesters to disperse, then arrested them before they were able to leave. While bearing down on one group, a senior police official ordered told officers If they stop. If they ask a question. They get cuffed.

During the parade earlier in the day, 15 people were arrested, including nine charged with felony assault on police officers. The arrests occurred after a paper-mache and wood dragon was set on fire outside Madison Square Garden. In a separate incident, one police officer sustained third-degree burns.

Some 200 arrests were made yesterday, most of them for disorderly conduct. Over 400 have been arrested since Friday when protests surrounding the Republican convention began.

The first major demonstration came on Friday night when some 5,000 cyclists gathered in Union Square Park for Critical Mass, a monthly bike ride around Manhattan.

New York police made over 264 arrests that night in several locations along the bike route. Cyclists said the bike ride was peaceful and the police acted unreasonably. Most of those arrested were charged with disorderly conduct and held for 24-hours at Pier 57, a three-story, block-long pier that has been converted to a holding pen for those protesting the convention.

One officer is facing charges for this stunt: http://www.boingboing.net/2008/07/28/critical-mass-bicycl.html
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 07:32:23 AM »
Check your timelines dude, that's from 2004 Smiley