Author Topic: Wash. governor forgets ID, cant get into bar  (Read 5578 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Wash. governor forgets ID, cant get into bar
« on: July 31, 2008, 05:14:25 AM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25935910/

Bouncer turned her away because she couldn't prove shes legal to drink

OLYMPIA, Wash. - Washington Gov. Chris Gregoire is taking it as a compliment: She was turned away from a bar in the state capital because she couldn't prove she's of legal age to drink.

The 61-year-old governor and her staff had served burgers at the annual Capital Lakefair last weekend and afterward went to a downtown Olympia bar called Hannah's to celebrate.

Gregoire says the man checking identifications at the door told her she couldn't get in without ID, even when others pointed out she's Washington's governor. So she went home, but her husband, Mike, went in.

The governor tells Seattle's KING-TV she feels complimented the bouncer thought she might be under 21.

Hannah's owner, Todd Ruzicka, says his 23-year-old part-time bouncer needs more training.

I say good for the bouncer.  Most states have laws that say no valid ID no drinky.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Wash. governor forgets ID, cant get into bar
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 05:26:08 AM »
: Happy Dance :

Apparently rank doth not have its priviledges.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

taurusowner

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 06:15:37 AM »
The bouncer sounds like he's pretty well trained as it is.  Good for him for not shirking the rules when pressured by someone (semi)famous.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 07:15:59 AM »
Face control. The bouncer didn't want to kill the party with a heaping helping of ugly. Bonus points if we can get any pictures of admitted hubby with any girl that made it in the bar.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 08:29:26 AM »
Sounds like the bouncer voted for Rossi in the last elections.  grin

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 08:39:58 AM »
Heh.  Reminds me of something that happened to my dad, once.  He got kicked out of a bar in Salem, OR because they refused to accept his military ID card as valid identification.  He was in the Navy at the time, and had either just gotten back or was about to deploy to Vietnam.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 01:10:11 PM »
Hannah's owner, Todd Ruzicka, says his 23-year-old part-time bouncer needs more training.

Sounds like he's trained just fine.....I hope Ted Kennedy shows up at his bar.....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 09:34:11 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25935910/

Bouncer turned her away because she couldn't prove shes legal to drink

OLYMPIA, Wash. - Washington Gov. Chris Gregoire is taking it as a compliment: She was turned away from a bar in the state capital because she couldn't prove she's of legal age to drink.

The 61-year-old governor and her staff had served burgers at the annual Capital Lakefair last weekend and afterward went to a downtown Olympia bar called Hannah's to celebrate.

Gregoire says the man checking identifications at the door told her she couldn't get in without ID, even when others pointed out she's Washington's governor. So she went home, but her husband, Mike, went in.

The governor tells Seattle's KING-TV she feels complimented the bouncer thought she might be under 21.

I say good for the bouncer.  Most states have laws that say no valid ID no drinky.

Horseshit.  He needs no training.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 10:48:51 PM »
I saw this happen once at a chipotle-a grey haired, wrinkled old man was asked for his ID in front of me.  Of course he was floored about it-had that "Are you serious?" attitude.

To be honest, I do think this guy needs more training.  Denying someone who is obviously so far beyond 21 that no reasonable person could believe she were a minor passing herself off is taking rulism to the extreme.

The purpose of checking ID's isn't because there's some magical quality of having an ID, it's because it's one of many ways to ensure that people under 21 don't get alcohol.  When folks lose sight of that, we end up with stories like this....60 plus year olds getting denied at the bar because they don't have id.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
But at the same time SS there are laws in place that state you must have a valid ID to gain entrance to said locations.  So what you are saying is, it is ok to break the law.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 02:03:26 AM »
But at the same time SS there are laws in place that state you must have a valid ID to gain entrance to said locations.  So what you are saying is, it is ok to break the law.

And had an elderly war veteran a wheelchair arrived at the bar, would you have wanted the bouncer to refuse him entry, too?

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 02:10:34 AM »
If he didn't have the proper ID, yes.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 02:35:57 AM »
If he didn't have the proper ID, yes.

This doesn't strike you as somehow... wrong?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 02:43:55 AM »
How so?  You break the rules/law you pay the price.

ssbn642

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 03:09:20 AM »
Having lived in Seattle for 17 years, it is Washington State Law that you must have a valid ID ON YOU to enter an establishment that serves booze
The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home.

~James Madison

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 08:22:21 AM »
How so?  You break the rules/law you pay the price.
Ahhhhhh...

ZERO TOLERANCE. What a concept.

Why the hell not. We don't need to think, use our minds, figure things out for ourselves, adjust the rules to the situation with zero tolerance. All that nasty thinking will be done for us.

Makes perfect sense.

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 08:46:28 AM »
I think it's more along the lines of those idiot politicians make stupid laws up, why should the be immune from their inconvience?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 02:16:46 PM »

The purpose of these laws has nothing to do with the benefits of having an ID or entrance to a bar; they are enacted only to ensure that people who are below the legal age do not enter the bar.

What I am saying is, administrative regulation that doesn't serve any purpose is okay to ignore.  You can tell that a 61 year old woman is not under 21 from looking at her.  So I don't see how the rule that you need an id to enter that bar (if it even is a law-in most places the law is that you can't serve people under 21, not that you need to see ID) serves any valid purpose in that situation.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 03:16:23 PM »
Bigjake hit the nail squarely on the head.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

taurusowner

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 04:58:33 PM »
SS, if you don't agree with the outcome of the rules, you get them changed.  You don't simply ignore them.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 05:14:17 PM »
SS, if you don't agree with the outcome of the rules, you get them changed.  You don't simply ignore them.

I generally agree, but with purely administrative rules, I think enforcement should have at least some connection to the purpose of the rule.

This is one of those rules-the purpose of ID requirements isn't because there's some benefit to having an ID when you drink; it is solely for the purpose of keeping alcohol out of the hands of minors. 

It's better, imho, to focus on the purpose of the rule: keeping minors out of bars, than to go fretting about whether or not an old lady has an ID that day.  It serves no purpose.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 05:18:08 PM »

TO, have you ever served in the military?  smiley

taurusowner

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 05:30:04 PM »
I'm in right now in fact.  MP in the US Army.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2008, 05:34:15 PM »
I'm in right now in fact.  MP in the US Army.

Ah. I understand, then . Cheesy

Seriously, as you well know, it's common in military organizations that rules are made that ar eimpossible to constantly observe, and soldiers (and officers) often apply them... creatively. Otherwise life would be impossible in any military institution.