Author Topic: Well. There's a reason to never ride Greyhound...  (Read 5681 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Well. There's a reason to never ride Greyhound...
« on: July 31, 2008, 05:43:44 AM »
And I thought drunk homeless sorts and hippie stoners were bad on buses...this is the most f-ed up thing I've read in quite some time. shocked

Man decapitates passenger aboard Greyhound bus in Manitoba: witness
Bus en route to Winnipeg from Edmonton; story contains graphic details

A passenger repeatedly stabbed and then decapitated another person aboard a Greyhound bus travelling through Manitoba overnight, a witness said Thursday.

Police officers spent the night examining a Greyhound bus where a passenger was reportedly stabbed and decapitated late Wednesday.Police officers spent the night examining a Greyhound bus where a passenger was reportedly stabbed and decapitated late Wednesday. (John Woods/Canadian Press)RCMP would not confirm the reports, only saying that a "major incident" took place around 9 p.m. Wednesday evening on the bus as it drove along the Trans-Canada Highway en route to Winnipeg from Edmonton. A man has been taken into custody, but police remained tight-lipped about the case.

The bus pulled over west of Portage la Prairie, a city about 85 kilometres west of Winnipeg.

Passenger Garnet Caton told CBC News on Thursday that the attacker had been sitting beside the victim, who was asleep, with his headphones on.

Caton said he heard a "blood-curdling scream" and saw the man holding a large "Rambo" hunting knife above the victim, "continually stabbing him in the chest area," he said.

"He must have stabbed him 50 times or 60 times," said Caton.
Attacker earlier appeared normal

"The whole time, the attacker was over top of the victim. He is continually cutting him. I think the victim was gone at that point," Caton said.

Caton said the attacker appeared "totally normal" earlier in the journey after boarding around Brandon, and chatted with a young woman as he smoked a cigarette during a break.

But when he got back on the bus, he moved his belongings from the front to a seat beside the victim in the back and about 20 minutes later began attacking the man, said Caton. "He didn't say anything to the victim at all," said Caton.

Once the bus pulled over and more than 30 passengers fled, Caton, the driver and a trucker who had stopped at the scene boarded the vehicle to see if the victim was still alive.

"When we came back on the bus, it was visible at the end of the bus he was cutting the guy's head off and pretty much gutting him up," said Caton.

The attacker ran at them, Caton said, and they ran out of the bus, holding the door shut as he tried to slash at the trio.
Acted 'like a robot'

When the attacker began fiddling with buttons and trying to drive the bus, Caton says the driver disabled the vehicle.

"While we were watching the door, he calmly walks up to the front with the head in his hand and the knife and just calmly stares at us and drops the head right in front of us," said Caton.

Caton described the attacker as surprisingly calm. "It was like he was at the beach or something. There was no rage in him. He wasn't swearing or cursing or anything. It was just like he was a robot or something."

Police cruisers arrived about 10 minutes later, he estimates, and officers began directing passengers to school buses to take them to a hotel in Brandon. The attacker picked up the head.

"While we were waiting on the side of the road, he was taunting the police with the head in his hand," said Caton.
'Pretty traumatic'

A six-year-old and other children were among the passengers who saw the gruesome incident unfold, said Caton.

"It was pretty traumatic," he said, adding that some passengers said they have been unable to sleep or eat since it happened.

A chaplain and crisis team were on hand to counsel passengers at the hotel, he said.

Officers were still at the scene early Thursday and brought portable search lights to examine the bus, the CBC's Sean Kavanagh reported. Traffic was being rerouted to a side road.

Abby Wambaugh, media relations spokeswoman for Greyhound Canada, said there were 37 passengers and a driver aboard the bus.

She would not comment on what happened on the bus.

"I don't want to compromise the investigation, so any details need to be confirmed by the police," she said.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/07/31/greyhound-transcanada.html

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Well. There's a reason to never ride Greyhound...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 05:47:21 AM »
Well, see what happens when you outlaw guns.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 05:50:42 AM »
Well, see what happens when you outlaw guns.

Maybe they should outlaw killing on Greyhound buses.....that would have stopped this tragedy......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 06:52:35 AM »
Crazy mother... This is one of those instant death penalty times. 30 something people on the bus and no one really did anything but stand by. Not exactly sure what unarmed people could do against someone like that though.
"While we were waiting on the side of the road, he was taunting the police with the head in his hand," said Caton.
Should have shot him right there. That is like freaky movie scary. There doesn't even need to be a chance that this guy gets out in public again.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 07:27:23 AM »
Boy, that guy must have really been snoring.....chris3

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 08:05:58 AM »
Would I be accused of being a "Keyboard Kommando" for saying I would've shot this lunatic until I ran out of bullets?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 08:17:43 AM »
When someone is taunting the cops with a HUMAN HEAD they just cut off of someone there isn't much that a trial needs to prove. The level of disturbed you have to be to be able to do that...
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 08:26:32 AM »
Phew.

Thank GOD guns are pretty much illegal in Canada.

Someone might have gotten hurt!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 03:57:42 PM »
I just saw the article on a news site. Yeah, it's a good thing Canada doesn't allow anyone to carry handguns, 'cause that makes things SOOOOOOO much safer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 04:00:19 PM »
I'm pretty sure Greyhound busses don't allow legal guns, either, whatever country they are in.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 04:04:21 PM »
I'm pretty sure Greyhound busses don't allow legal guns, either, whatever country they are in.

You're right, they don't.

They also don't check, at least not at most terminals. They may have better screening at big terminals in major cities like Chicago and New York.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 07:42:55 PM »
Apparently they don't do a good job checking for knives either.....
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 10:45:03 PM »
Maybe the guy had just come back from the lavatory.  The smell from a Greyhound lav could drive anyone into a killing frenzy.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 02:57:50 AM »
The RCMP would not confirm the reports of beheading, saying only that a stabbing took place around 8:30 p.m. CT on an eastbound Greyhound bus on the Trans-Canada Highway about 20 kilometres west of Portage la Prairie.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/07/31/greyhound-transcanada.html?ref=rss
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

atomd

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 03:06:43 AM »
I once took Greyhound from New Hampshire to Colorado Springs. I can picture more than one person I ran into on those buses doing something like that. I saw people talking to themselves and invisible people, popping pills, getting into fistfights, you name it. Those bus lines are full of whackos.... This guy really takes the cake though. It's amazing that the rest of the people were able to get off the bus unharmed.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 09:48:57 AM »
Crazy mother... This is one of those instant death penalty times. 30 something people on the bus and no one really did anything but stand by. Not exactly sure what unarmed people could do against someone like that though.
They could have tried. =\
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 10:05:47 AM »
When someone is taunting the cops with a HUMAN HEAD they just cut off of someone there isn't much that a trial needs to prove. The level of disturbed you have to be to be able to do that...

I'd think it's save to say that the guy is out of his gourd and needs tossed in a rubber room for the rest of his life.

Still, yet another one of a thousand reasons for CCW.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 10:08:05 AM »

Yeah.

How does one knife subdue an entire busload of people in allowing this guy to not only commit open murder, but also to decapitate his victim?  I think I'd rather risk getting hurt than live the rest of my life knowing I could've stopped that.  

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 11:11:45 AM »
I think I'd rather risk getting hurt than live the rest of my life knowing I could've stopped that. 

What are you - some kind of vigilante ?  shocked

(sarcasm, in case no one noticed  rolleyes )
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

crt360

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 11:12:29 AM »

Yeah.

How does one knife subdue an entire busload of people in allowing this guy to not only commit open murder, but also to decapitate his victim?  I think I'd rather risk getting hurt than live the rest of my life knowing I could've stopped that.  

Go for it.  If it's a psycho dude with a large knife that he's already proven capable of severing a head, and all I've got is, um . . . nothing, I'm probably not jumping in to test my hand-to-crazyhandwithbigknife combat skills.  If I knew I could have stopped something like that with my bare hands, I'd probably be one cocky, ass-kickin' machine (or wearing tights with my initial on my chest).
For entertainment purposes only.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 11:21:24 AM »
I think the time to intervene was when he started stabbing the guy and was clearly focused away from the rest of the passengers and on the guy he was stabbing, not when he later hung around keeping an eye on the crowd while waving a head around.

It doesn't take a superhero.  It doesn't even take a hero.  It takes someone who was already behind him hitting him real hard in the head.

Call me crazy, but yes, I have subdued a fairly psycho knife-wielding dude.  He probably wasn't intent on murder, but he was intent of waving a knife around in a reckless and threatening way.  I happened to be behind him.  Different situation, but no, having a knife doesn't make psycho-dude into a superman either.  He's just a guy with a knife and a lotta violence.  Odds of getting killed intervening in that situation seem pretty low.  Odds of getting hurt are pretty high, but it sure seems worth it.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 11:29:34 AM »
most folks are overhelmed in situations like that. a good example is when we have aq d\rowning in the river near here. several hundred folks leave the water and watch from shore going oh my while waiting for the ems and fire dept to show up, if 25 of em lined up and searched for the guy he might make it but the herd instinct takes over. blood scares folks bad.  and for the record getting stabbed sucks
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 11:40:17 AM »
I started riding the city bus a few months ago to cut down on fuel costs.

I no longer ride it. I'll walk to work before I get on the bus again.

Gang bangers, bums, drunks, prostitutes, addicts, and just plain ol' crazy folks.

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 11:44:41 AM »
I bet that by the time most of the passengers were aware of what was happening, the victim was already dead.  They at least got everyone off the bus and kept him from getting out.  That is something. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

crt360

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 11:52:59 AM »
BW, either you and I have different mental images of the scenario or you are fearless.  With a decent knife, I could seriously injure or kill just about anyone sneaking up behind me who was not able to render me dead or unconscious with a single, quick blow.  The odds of that happening are very slim, especially if I'm bobbing around stabbing someone.

I bet that by the time most of the passengers were aware of what was happening, the victim was already dead.  They at least got everyone off the bus and kept him from getting out.  That is something. 

I agree.  With the victim sleeping, the first carefully placed thrust of the "Rambo" hunting knife (butcher's knife in another article) probably would have killed him.
For entertainment purposes only.