Author Topic: Want to destroy someone? Send them a box of pot, police will shoot their dogs  (Read 35745 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
And it just keeps getting better (or worse).  It seems Prince George's County's finest executed a no-knock raid without bothering to get a no-knock warrant.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/05/AR2008080502664.html

Ouch.  I wonder if 'shot the lab' is going to get up there with 'screwed the pooch'?

This is sounding more and more like a department that needs a thorough slap on the hand.

The USAF had it's top members resign, relieved of command a wing commander and sundry other officers over the mishandling of nuclear weapons.

I think that a Sheriff needs to resign...

LAK

• friend
Police departments actually do this kind of thing??

------------------------------

http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org/oldindex.html
http://www.gtr5.com
http://ssunitedstates.org

HankB

• friend
Another issue that could arise in court is whether officers provided Calvo a copy of the warrant at the time of the raid, as required by law. Maloney said they did not, even though a detective signed a sworn statement to the judge indicating that he had. Instead, the detective brought the warrant to Calvo several days later, Maloney said.
Hmmm . . . if this is true, then the detective NEEDS to go to jail. After all, many prominent people have gone to jail for lying to investigators, even when not under oath; if a detective gave a  false SWORN STATEMENT to a JUDGE, it would appear he committed a serious criminal offense.

Or do laws only apply to peasants?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
After all, many prominent people have gone to jail for lying to investigators, even when not under oath; if a detective gave a  false SWORN STATEMENT to a JUDGE, it would appear he committed a serious criminal offense.

Only jail?  I say he needs serious prison time.

Start teaching police in acadamy that their word HAS to be good.  Nothing less will work.  If a lawyer is able to bring up that they've lied under oath, no work they have ever done will be trusted by a jury.

Just don't do it.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Laws only apply to peasants.

All is fair in the WoSD.  angry
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
After all, many prominent people have gone to jail for lying to investigators, even when not under oath; if a detective gave a  false SWORN STATEMENT to a JUDGE, it would appear he committed a serious criminal offense.

Only jail?  I say he needs serious prison time.

Start teaching police in acadamy that their word HAS to be good.  Nothing less will work.  If a lawyer is able to bring up that they've lied under oath, no work they have ever done will be trusted by a jury.

Just don't do it.

But this is a war.  A war unlike any we've ever had to fight.  Against an enemy unlike any we've ever fought.

The enemy is here on our soil, living among us and our children.

It's a war on drugs.  The enemy erodes the most basic of our country's beliefs- blind obedience in the name of economic productivity.

I submit that this is a necessary procedure in the war against the things against all that is America! 

For god sakes, people, IT'S A WAR!!!

////sarcasm off////
7-11 was a part time job.

yesitsloaded

• friends
It seems the good mayor has gone public to cnn. http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/07/mayor.warrant/index.html
 (CNN) -- A Maryland mayor is asking the federal government to investigate why SWAT team members burst into his home without knocking and shot his two dogs to death in an investigation into a drug smuggling scheme.
Berwyn Heights, Maryland, Mayor Cheye Calvo comforts wife Trinity Tomsic at a news conference Thursday.

Berwyn Heights, Maryland, Mayor Cheye Calvo comforts wife Trinity Tomsic at a news conference Thursday.
Click to view previous image
1 of 2
Click to view next image

"This has been a difficult week and a half for us," Cheye Calvo, mayor of Berwyn Heights, Maryland, said Thursday. "We lost our family dogs. We did it at the hands of sheriff's deputies who burst through our front door, rifles blazing."

The raid last week was led by the Prince George's County Police Department, with the sheriff's special operations team assisting, after a package of marijuana was sent to Calvo's home.

Authorities say the package was part of a scheme in which drugs are mailed to unknowing recipients and then intercepted.

Calvo said he had just returned home from walking his two Labrador retrievers, Chase and Payton, when his mother-in-law told him a package had arrived for his wife, Trinity Tomsic.

Moments later, Calvo was in his room changing for a meeting when he heard commotion downstairs.

"The door flew open," he said. "I heard gunfire shoot off. There was a brief pause and more gunfire."

Calvo said he was brought downstairs at gunpoint in his boxer shorts, handcuffed and forced onto the floor with his mother-in-law near the carcass of one of dead dogs. Video Watch Calvo describe the raid »

"I noticed my two dead dogs lying in pools of their own blood," Calvo said.

Calvo said his mother-in-law is still recovering from the incident.

"She got the worst of it," Calvo said. "She was literally in the kitchen, cooking a lovely pasta dish, and they brought down the door and shot our dogs."

While he was being held, Calvo said, he told police he is the town's mayor, but they didn't believe him.

Berwyn Heights has its own police force, he said, but Prince George's County police did not notify the municipal authorities of their interest in his home or the package.

"They didn't know my name. All they knew was my wife's name. They matched that to the registration of the car," Calvo said. "It was that lack of communication that really led to what has really been the most traumatic experience of our lives."

After the raid, arrests were made in the package interception scheme.

The incident has prompted the couple to call for a federal investigation because, they say, they don't believe police are capable of conducting an internal investigation.

"They've said they've done nothing wrong," Calvo said. "I didn't sign up for this fight, but I think what we have to do now is make changes to how Prince George's County police and Prince George's County sheriff's department operate."

Calvo said authorities entered his home without knocking and refused to show him a warrant when he requested one.

But Prince George's County Police Department spokeswoman Sharon Taylor said legal counsel had informed her that "no-knock" warrants do not exist in Maryland. Video Watch authorities defend their actions »

Taylor said authorities were acting on a warrant issued based on information available to them at the time.

"This warrant was for permission to search the premises," she said. "The special operations team that supported us made a decision about the necessity of entry at the point of being on the scene."

"No-knock" warrants have drawn criticism before. In Atlanta, Georgia, Kathryn Johnston, 92, was shot to death by police in a botched drug raid involving such a warrant in November.

Taylor, a self-described dog lover, expressed sympathy for the loss of Calvo's dogs, but stopped short of apologizing for the incident.

"We've done these similar kinds of operations over and over again, to the tune of removing billions of dollars of drugs from the community and without people or animals being harmed," she said. "We don't want any of our operations to result in the injury or loss of anybody, and certainly not animals."

The deputies have said they killed the two animals because they felt threatened.

"I would say that the dogs presented a threat, I would imagine, to the special operations situation," Taylor said.

Meanwhile, Calvo and his wife said members of the community have expressed sympathy and concern about the incident.
advertisement

At a news conference Thursday, Tomsic tearfully recalled a recent encounter with a neighbor who used to wave at the couple as they walked Payton and Chase.

"She gave me a big hug," Tomsic said. "She said, 'If the police shot your dogs dead and did this to you, how can I trust them?' "
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

quatin

two Labrador retrievers

sad Labradors are the nicest dogs. I've never even seen one growl....and they had to shoot it in the back. I guess they were overly friendly.

MechAg94

• friend
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-mayor0807,0,4563211.story
This article was linked on the Drudge Report. 

Berwyn Heights police Chief Patrick A. Murphy appeared with the mayor Thursday and said his agency was never informed of the investigation, despite an existing memorandum of understanding to work together on such operations.

He said not knowing about the raid could have led his officers to fire upon the sheriff's SWAT team because its members were wearing street clothes, masks and carrying weapons as they approached the mayor's house.

"What about the safety of my officers?" Murphy said. If consulted, he added, "We could have gotten the mayor to put the dogs away and consent to a search."

Police officials in Arizona first intercepted the package when a drug-sniffing dog alerted them to the presence of marijuana. It was addressed to Tomsic. An undercover officer in Prince George's delivered the package near 6 p.m. and was told by Calvo's mother-in-law to leave it on the porch, according to Calvo's attorney, Timothy Maloney.

Prince George's County police arrested two men involved in a scheme to transport marijuana. Once packages were dropped off by a deliveryman, a suspect would pick them up -- with the addressee oblivious to the plot. Police seized a half-dozen packages that contained about 417 pounds of marijuana, including the 32 pounds delivered to Tomsic, the Associated Press reported.
The 2nd half of this quote explains what the deal was.  Someone was using their address to transport drugs. 

The section in bold bothers me a great deal and I see it mentioned in a articles far too often.  If they at least had uniforms on and big identification patches and badges clipped on, you would at least have the first assumption that they are cops.  In plain clothes, how the hell is anyone supposed to know what is happening?  If I see a bunch of armed mean in blue jeans coming toward my house, I really doubt my first though will be "Hello, Officers".  Officers are going to get shot one of these days if not already.  Apparently, there is also the possibility that another police department's officer will see them and they will end up shooting at each other. 

Does anyone know why they put these SWAT teams in plain clothes? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
The State's Attorney General for the PG County was on the radio this morning. He's holding off calling a grand jury because the Feds are getting involved.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
Well, I guess it is good to see this is getting some attention. 

What would the Feds be interested in?  I am curious about that.  Warrant violations? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
Calvo said authorities entered his home without knocking and refused to show him a warrant when he requested one.

But Prince George's County Police Department spokeswoman Sharon Taylor said legal counsel had informed her that "no-knock" warrants do not exist in Maryland. Video Watch authorities defend their actions »

Taylor said authorities were acting on a warrant issued based on information available to them at the time.

"This warrant was for permission to search the premises," she said. "The special operations team that supported us made a decision about the necessity of entry at the point of being on the scene."
So the officers on the scene decided a no knock was necessary.  They must have thought the guy was wearing tactical boxers.  I am curious about the legality of that especially these days when judges are often called to verbally authorize searches.

Manedwolf

• friend
The State's Attorney General for the PG County was on the radio this morning. He's holding off calling a grand jury because the Feds are getting involved.

If the police are fired, charged, tried and imprisoned, it will show there is justice.

If they get off with a minor reprimand, the police will have completed their metamorphosis from officers of the peace to an insular, no-limits-on-behavior...tribe.

freakazoid

• friend
Authorities say the package was part of a scheme in which drugs are mailed to unknowing recipients and then intercepted.
"We've done these similar kinds of operations over and over again, to the tune of removing billions of dollars of drugs from the community and without people or animals being harmed,"

Sounds like they do this a lot,  shocked How can this be legal?

He said not knowing about the raid could have led his officers to fire upon the sheriff's SWAT team because its members were wearing street clothes, masks and carrying weapons as they approached the mayor's house.

Wouldn't that of made for an interesting headline. Swat and local police in shootout, with each other.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
I don't think he meant they mail drugs all the time, they just create their own no-knock warrant and shoot dogs all the time.  Cheesy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Wouldn't that of made for an interesting headline. Swat and local police in shootout, with each other.

Would just be more criminal-on-criminal violence  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
Officers are going to get shot one of these days if not already.

1. Read the Cato Institute report "Overkill: The Rise of the Paramilitary Police in America".

It details dozens if not hundreds of incidents.

2. Google 'Cory Maye'.

3. Google 'Ken Ballew'.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner