Author Topic: Burn Notice  (Read 1299 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Burn Notice
« on: July 31, 2008, 07:06:17 PM »
Anyone else watching this show? I recently discovered it on Hulu. Took me a couple of episodes to get into it, but then I ended up doing a marathon session to watch all episodes to date. Kind of a Magnum PI feel to it. Plus any show with Bruce Campbell in it usually ends up being quirky and interesting.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Burn Notice
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 07:12:11 PM »
I catch it from time to time, but it does not capture my interest like Breaking Bad does.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 01:33:24 AM »
It's one of my favorites, along with Psych and In Plain Sight.....and now Michael is working for the Cylons.... shocked

USA is really stepping up with good TV.....unlike most of the dreck on the "major networks".....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

atomd

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 03:08:36 AM »
My wife got me into that show. It's sort of silly but not bad. Bruce Cambell is great. She watches those USA shows. Burn Notice, Psych, Monk. Those are ok too. I couldn't stand In Plain Sight. It seems like they were trying too hard or something.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 03:13:14 AM »
Burn Notice is great.  I just happened to catch the first episode last season and was pretty much hooked.  I totally agree with the Magnum PI thing.  Of course, I never thought about it until now but yeah.  Psych is pretty good too.  In Plain Sight would probably be better with a better cast.  Mary McCormack got one of those horrible lip jobs and looks like a duck now.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 03:22:47 AM »
I've watched an episode or two of Burn Notice . . . not bad, but if some spook agency decides to "burn" a guy who knows where all the bodies are buried and where all the skeletons in the closet are, why wouldn't he go to National Enquirer, CNN, or testify before Congress? Seems that the people who "burned" the guy by not just firing him but robbing him as well violated an old maxim of Machiavelli (or was it Sun-Tzu?) : "Never do your enemy a minor injury."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 04:37:30 AM »
I've watched an episode or two of Burn Notice . . . not bad, but if some spook agency decides to "burn" a guy who knows where all the bodies are buried and where all the skeletons in the closet are, why wouldn't he go to National Enquirer, CNN, or testify before Congress? Seems that the people who "burned" the guy by not just firing him but robbing him as well violated an old maxim of Machiavelli (or was it Sun-Tzu?) : "Never do your enemy a minor injury."

He wants his old job back, so he trying to get "unburned."  That is why he is trying to lay low.  The show has established that the woman who burned him wants him to work for her in an "off the books" capacity.  So he isn't considered an enemy, but an asset. 

I like this show, especially with this season there are usually two small plots running concurrently.  It's not real serious, but they don't go over the top with either.  I liked the taser scene from this week's episode (even though a taser doesn't knock people out IIRC).  If you remember that it is entertainment, and not meant to be a documentary then it serves its purpose better than most other shows.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 05:29:44 AM »
My wife is into Burn Notice and Plain Sight. I tried to get into them, they are ok but not something I need to watch every week.

Breaking Bad on the other hand, I made sure to watch that every Sunday night when it was on.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536