Author Topic: Toyota's Answer to the Segway  (Read 4271 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Toyota's Answer to the Segway
« on: August 02, 2008, 11:11:41 PM »
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Toyota's Answer to the Segway
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 02:01:01 AM »
I thought Segway failed commercially?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 04:15:18 AM »
including the elderly  its major target buyer.

What the hell are they thinking? Granny can't hardly walk without falling down and breaking a hip...and how are old people with joint problems going to stand up for that long?

Well, at least it goes a granny-like speed. Wonder if it comes with a turn signal to leave on...and how is Granny supposed to hunch over the steering doohickey like she does with the steering wheel, holding onto it with a white knuckle grip?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 04:59:28 AM »

Well, it definitely didn't live up to the hype, but I don't know that it's a total failure.  They do fill a certain niche, or at least a perceived one.  Mall security is what I'm thinking of.  If this thing comes in at a substantially lower price, they might find a whole new market.  Looks pretty weak to me, though. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 06:32:59 AM »
Hasn't the Segway been successful in Asia?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 06:38:27 AM »
Segways have sold for things like airport security, mall security, and what seems to be the best use, warehouse inventory gathering of small items. They mount them with small baskets, and they're good for zipping around the giant dropship warehouses used by companies such as Amazon.

For some reason, they never brought to market the offroad four-wheel Centaur that would have had more of a general audience.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 06:42:07 AM »
People who buy things for themselves generally look at the Segway and figure "Costs too much, does too little" and pass it by. A few businesses (who can write off the cost on their taxes) and "trendy" folks buy them, but by and large sales to the private sector are few and far between.

On the other hand, people who buy things with OPM (Other People's Money) seem to be the main customers . . . which is why you see cops riding them in airports and such.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 07:14:49 AM »
Well, if you have employees who are supposed to walk around all day, things like the Segway make that easier I guess. 

I don't understand a couple things.  This thing goes too slow and only goes for 3 miles.  It is too slow for those security and warehouse applications and the range is too short.  If they want to sell to the elderly, they need a sitting version. 

What is the range of a Segway?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 08:48:07 AM »
have we effectively forgotten how to walk?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 09:33:38 AM »

Judging by the lack of private Segway sales, I'd say no.  We know how to walk, and we'd prefer to do so to save some money.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 09:40:46 AM »
Segways have sold for things like airport security, mall security, and what seems to be the best use, warehouse inventory gathering of small items. They mount them with small baskets, and they're good for zipping around the giant dropship warehouses used by companies such as Amazon.

For some reason, they never brought to market the offroad four-wheel Centaur that would have had more of a general audience.

As a form of motorized assault wheelbarrow?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 12:58:43 PM »
Back in the Middle Ages when I was a kid, we had these things called "roller skates".   rolleyes

I remember at least one large auto parts store that had all their clerks wear roller skates to retrieve parts from the acres of shelves.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 01:52:17 PM »
Is there any information on pricing? I think that was the big problem with the Segway. It's just too expensive. If someone could put one out for around $1000 or less, I think they'd do very well with it.

That said, I think those things are stupid. I'd rather just walk.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 02:20:14 PM »

Yeah, what's with people riding horses, donkeys, camels, trains, bicycles, motor-cars, motorcycles, and those airplane things?  Zeppelins, even.  Guess we forgot how to walk a few thousand years ago.  Tongue
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 03:31:14 PM »
Back in the Middle Ages when I was a kid, we had these things called "roller skates".   rolleyes

I remember at least one large auto parts store that had all their clerks wear roller skates to retrieve parts from the acres of shelves.

Not all of us can use roller skates/ roller blades...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

crt360

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 02:37:49 AM »
Judging by the popularity of the hoveround and similar scooters (basically near-zero turn radius electric wheelchairs with candy apple red paint jobs) in my area, Toyota and Segway might consider slapping a seat and maybe a basket on there if they plan on selling many.
For entertainment purposes only.

Marvin Dao

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 06:12:16 AM »
I don't understand a couple things.  This thing goes too slow and only goes for 3 miles.  It is too slow for those security and warehouse applications and the range is too short.  If they want to sell to the elderly, they need a sitting version. 

What is the range of a Segway?

Range is advertised as 24 miles, which is reasonably decent. Speed is 12.5 mph, which is pretty good. That isn't much lower than the ANSI spec for maximum golf cart speed (15 mph).

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 06:49:39 AM »
I could see the little red one with the knee-bar being all the rage for women wearing floor-length hoop skirts to glide about supernaturally for some steampunk convention...  laugh
I promise not to duck.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 06:50:41 AM »
pretty much. they have been able to sell some to various government agencies though. they actually make some sense for certain things. pretty useless for commuting for most people though.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 07:03:21 AM »
As I understand it, the problem with the Segway is that in many countries it is not legal to use them on the pavement/sidewalk.

You aren't allowed to use motorised vehicles other than wheelchairs or mobility scooters here, and considering the speed even mobility scooters can achieve, I'm not unhappy about that situation. There are enough of them out there now that add Segway-alikes to that and you're going to reach a sort of tipping point where all the fragile older people are going to have to get scooters just to be able to move around town safely.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 08:13:55 AM »

Not all of us can use roller skates/ roller blades...

Then you don't qualify to work there Tongue

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 08:37:41 AM »
I could see the little red one with the knee-bar being all the rage for women wearing floor-length hoop skirts to glide about supernaturally for some steampunk convention...  laugh
That would be cool.

I've seen women  wearing long dresses over those wheeled shoes to achieve that gliding-effortlessly look.  It's quite striking to see a beautiful woman in a beautiful formal dress moving without any apparent effort.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »

For some reason, visions of Kaylee are dancing through my head....

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.