Author Topic: More proof America is the greatest country in the world  (Read 7540 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
More proof America is the greatest country in the world
« on: August 03, 2008, 02:49:28 PM »
So you decide to renovate your business.

How do you do that?

You blow it the hell up and make sure the moment of explosion is televised  and broadcasted online for publicity.

http://www.rubytuesday.com/
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: More proof America is the greatest country in the world
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 03:22:01 PM »
Yes, they've renovated from warm American restaurants with tiffany lamps over tables to bland postmodern nothingness you wouldn't even notice driving past.

Yay, we made it look like all the other generic restaurants you can find as outparcels in your local big box sprawl!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 04:55:52 PM »
Food wasn't that good anyway...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 05:13:07 PM »
...ehh... I do not like the destruction of old buildings.  Destruction of the past is never (usually) a good thing.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 05:47:06 PM »
"Destruction of the past"??  It's a ratty, worn-down, outdated chain restaurant building.  Tear the sucker down and rebuild it newer, better, cleaner, and neater.

Destruction of old commercial buildings is very often a good thing.  Many times the older buildings are no longer profitable, either because of their utility or their aesthetics.  The additional profits that can be made from a newer, better building often outweigh the cost of rebuilding.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 05:48:55 PM »
...ehh... I do not like the destruction of old buildings.  Destruction of the past is never (usually) a good thing.

Sadly, those old building are so far out of code, it is usually cheaper to demolish and start over.  When they took down the old Mapes building in Reno, the building  was dangerous to enter.  
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 05:50:33 PM »
At least with a facade like that, the building can go through a succession of restaurants (which it will!) with nothing but a change of the signage above the door.

Identical postmodern blandboxes like the one depicted in the photo popped up all over S. Florida in the late 90's...one week it'd be one chain, the next week it'd be something else. They were all the overpriced, reconstituted meal sort that made their money on drinks anyway, so there wasn't much difference.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 06:12:25 PM »
I dunno, I went to a new Ruby Tuesday's in VA Beach recently, it seemed very old fashioned and cozy.  I really liked it.
The burger was good too.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 06:27:27 PM »
Anyone have a Panera nearby? They just did a refurb here, and whoever did it completely failed acoustic design. They now have all the ambiance of a noisy cafeteria.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 07:10:27 PM »
Got Panera all over, here, but they're still called St. Louis Bread Company.  Panera resulted from the merger of SLBC and Au Bon Pain.  (sp?)

Great restaurants.  Don't care about the acoustics, I don't hear that good anyway.  Ask bogie. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 01:41:58 AM »
When it comes to bad acoustics, no chain beats Cheddars'....it's like eating in a foundry during the lunch rush.... rolleyes

Only eaten at a RT once.....decent food, but nothing special. Good to see that the company is investing heavily in bland decor instead of working on their food....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 03:41:07 AM »
I think that some of you are bemoaning the loss of antiquity in a chain resturant is incredibly amusing.  cheesy

Headless Thompson is right on the money.

warm American restaurants

Translates as "dated and sticky" to me.  undecided When it comes to chains, I'll always prefer ones that will reinvest and update. Otherwise they become blight magnets.
I promise not to duck.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 05:05:14 AM »
Old buildings should be demolished when they lose their usefulness, otherwise we will end up with a bunch of useless buildings.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 05:18:17 AM »
I don't mind updates, but I get bored with the interminable sameness of All Restaurants, now. If they have zero personality in the decor or food, I'm not likely to come back, or even wander in in the first place.

Translates as "dated and sticky" to me.  undecided When it comes to chains, I'll always prefer ones that will reinvest and update. Otherwise they become blight magnets.

When I was little, I always thought the original interior of "Houlihan's Old Place" was fascinating, with the polished dark woods, backlit stained-glass domes, warrenlike up-and-down floorplan with tables in nooks and crannies, waterfalls down windows and plants everywhere. Now that chain looks exactly like this one, just beigebox postmodern buildings and bland interior decor.

Why bother going to a restaurant if they all look exactly the same? One of my favorite restaurants in this area is Margarita's, because in their locations, they went for the unusual. One is built into a 19th century brick powerhouse, and kept the feel of that. The other is in an old jail and courthouse, and you can eat in the cells. The bar is the former courtroom, a downstairs area for parties was the former drunk tank. That's just seriously cool. Smiley

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 08:46:47 AM »
Why bother going to a restaurant if they all look exactly the same? 

Maybe some of us go out to get a steak, not to be impressed by the decor. 

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 10:07:53 AM »

If you're going to a chain like this for a steak, then you've never had a steak.....

...btw, I had to go to Outback last night for my BIL's birthday. How does that place stay in business?....  rolleyes
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 10:11:23 AM »

If you're going to a chain like this for a steak, then you've never had a steak.....

...btw, I had to go to Outback last night for my BIL's birthday. How does that place stay in business?....  rolleyes

Volume, and low cost, I think. They charge $15-$25 for a reconstituted meal, with the veggies prespiced, the soups arriving in plastic pillows from a central commissary plant.

What confuses me is people who keep eating it at prices more suited to a good independent steakhouse. It's not that good. I went to one with some people a while ago, and I was not impressed. Silo's or Buckley's Great Steaks near me are so much better it's not even funny.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 10:52:56 AM »
I don't mind updates, but I get bored with the interminable sameness of All Restaurants, now. If they have zero personality in the decor or food, I'm not likely to come back, or even wander in in the first place.

When I was little, I always thought the original interior of "Houlihan's Old Place" was fascinating, with the polished dark woods, backlit stained-glass domes, warrenlike up-and-down floorplan with tables in nooks and crannies, waterfalls down windows and plants everywhere. Now that chain looks exactly like this one, just beigebox postmodern buildings and bland interior decor.

Why bother going to a restaurant if they all look exactly the same? One of my favorite restaurants in this area is Margarita's, because in their locations, they went for the unusual. One is built into a 19th century brick powerhouse, and kept the feel of that. The other is in an old jail and courthouse, and you can eat in the cells. The bar is the former courtroom, a downstairs area for parties was the former drunk tank. That's just seriously cool. Smiley

I actually understand what you mean. I recall finding the dark wooden interiors and stained glass of Houlihan's and Bennigan's mysterious and novel as a boy too.

However, visiting those restaurants as an adult that hadn't updated their decor, or refurbished, looks like the crassly corporate attempt to create that ersatz feel that it is. I don't find it any more genuine than all the random yard-sale brick-a-brak stuck to the walls of the TGI Friday's, or the now-defunct Ground Round with drywall screws.
I promise not to duck.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 11:30:13 AM »
What confuses me is people who keep eating it at prices more suited to a good independent steakhouse. It's not that good. I went to one with some people a while ago, and I was not impressed. Silo's or Buckley's Great Steaks near me are so much better it's not even funny.

Consistency while traveling, variety, availability.

Personally, I hate AppleRubyFridays, but I go because I know I'll find something, the wife will find something, and so will my daughter. 

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 12:04:40 PM »

So, you go to restaurants for the decor, then?   rolleyes 

I'm glad I'm not as tragically hip as some people. 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 12:05:46 PM »

So, you go to restaurants for the decor, then?   rolleyes 

I'm glad I'm not as tragically hip as some people. 

I think they mean that the steaks at that sort of restaurant are not the best sorts of steaks, really. They're usually not the best cuts, the freshest meat, or the highest-paid chefs. They mostly go for quantity and hire line cooks and that's it.

Chain places usually don't have steak that's done how I like it, seared hot first, then grilled just enough over a charcoal fire, not just pushed in a line along a gas grill with the rest of the entrees.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 12:26:03 PM »
Chain restaurants assure a minimum level of quality and consistency between all of their franchises.  You know the meal isn't going to be the highest quality meal you've ever had, but you also know that it won't be the worst you've ever had, either. 

Some people value the ability to trust the chain restaurant to deliver a basic, palatable meal every time.  Other people prefer to take their chances at a unique, one-off restaurant.  Free country and all.  Everyone has a chance at what they want. 

What's your gripe here?  Nobody will force you to go to a new bland box restaurant if you don't want to.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 12:29:40 PM »
What's your gripe here?  Nobody will force you to go to a new bland box restaurant if you don't want to.

Just that the chains that formerly had a spark of personality to their individual branding have all, for the most part, gone the route of bland sameness. Houlihan's killed the real massive oak antique bar and stained glass domes for blandbox. Macaroni Grill killed the stone vault and strings of hanging lightbulbs for blandbox. It's their decision, of course. I just miss when those same brands had something different about them.

You know the meal isn't going to be the highest quality meal you've ever had, but you also know that it won't be the worst you've ever had, either.

Chilis, etc, for a burger, sure. But I will make an exception to that statement for Olive Garden, which I find to be consistently terrible. OMG SALT. In everything! And cold spots in one's lasagna from the microwave apparently being a bit off focus.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 12:31:34 PM »
Manedwolf, I think you need more flair.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 12:32:35 PM »