Author Topic: Nostalgia  (Read 3730 times)

grampster

• friend
Nostalgia
« on: September 13, 2005, 05:54:22 PM »
I was just over at TFL and looking back over some old posts.  It was really kind of fun seeing the folks who were posting, joking, arm wrestling etc back in early 2002.  I had signed on in 2001.  A lot of those folks gravitated to THR when Oleg started his site as Rich decided to take a breather, and many are also over here.  So there is quite a bit of continuity and the same characters still hanging around all three places.  I noticed ole sm groaning about being 46 and a new student.  Heh.  Recently he was bemoaning turning 50 and STILL a student.  His stories are still great, nonetheless.  Then there is Lawdog.  I wish he'd cough up a new tale.  Too many interesting people to name because I'd leave someone out...and I'd feel worse for that than the one left out.

Sadly, I saw some names and read some thoughts and comments of good people that are no longer with us.  Some just disappeared.  Who knows what happened to them.  Some we prayed and encouraged through tough times and then they disappeared.  A shame.  I guess for me it brings home how an impersonal anonymous
board can be made up of good folks that their loss still tugs at your heartstrings.  Many of us have never met, yet we banter and argue like old friends.

I really do have a life other than propundiating on the 'puter.  But, I must say, life has been more interesting, fun, knowledge gaining, and best of all producing a tolerance I always knew I had, but just rounded it up a bit.

I'm just glad I've had a chance to banter with ya'll. cool
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Nostalgia
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 05:56:09 PM »
Sentimental old sob.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
Nostalgia
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 05:57:19 PM »
Hmmm...and I wasn't going to mention any names.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Nostalgia
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 06:20:29 PM »
Whoops, I meant to put a Smiley behind that.

Sorry!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
Nostalgia
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 06:28:48 PM »
Me too.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Nostalgia
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 06:46:17 PM »
Some have gone on to other interests, some are still around under new names, and some have gone to the gun club in the sky.

It may be that the best "gift to society" that the internet gives is the ability for good people, who would otherwise never get to know each other, to share common interests.

MaterDei

• friend
Nostalgia
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 07:13:22 PM »
I find it fun to look back at some of the old posts as well.  I especially enjoy reading many of the posts from an old coot named grampster...  Smiley

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Nostalgia
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 07:44:10 PM »
I occasionally look back and some of my old posts as I find them to be a good resource for things that I've forgotten. I know I have the information my books, but I'm generally a lazy person and would rahter look it up on line.

Occasionally I find one of my posts and say to myself "Self, what in the hell were you smoking when you came up with THAT?"

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Nostalgia
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 08:08:42 PM »
Heck, even I look up some of Mike's old posts as reference material.

But, unfortunately, I don't know which ones Mike posted when he was smoking the weird stuff.  Tongue

I just wish we'd hear more from C.R. Sam.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Nostalgia
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 07:40:06 AM »
Tongue

grampster,
Thanks for the kind words sir.

Most folks attend college, then have a career. Me,I spent 35 yrs in a business I was raised in - THEN - I decide to attend College. Oh well, never been one to follow the norm...

I took a class here and there,when I had the monies,  getting the core stuff out of the way. I decided on a path, and hit the path full bore. Decided I didn't want to do that path ( hey - everyone else changes directions...) so I changed schools and going a different direction. Didn't plan on the "Life Student Plan" - just worked out that way.

I visited with an instructor about taking his class next semester, he said sure, be glad to have me...but why him.
"Because it has been sometime since I had a class with an instructor older than me". Cheesy

His comment was " well hell at least I won't have to explain what a 'record' is - if I use the saying " sounds like a broken record".

I too use the old posts for Reference. I sometimes pick a Person and read all their old posts on TFL, and THR. I have certain folks I specifically use for searches.

Mike Irwin - I use Mike as a reference for so many things. Mike not only knows S&W revolvers, he knows Ctgs, and History...not just firearm history - History.

CRSam - Yep.  Another great source.  Last email reply from Sam, said he was doing okay, just getting old. Gave me some  advice.

The libraries on both TFL and THR are chocked full of information. I have spent hours just going thru these alone.

Like grampster, so many folks I enjoy reading, respect their knowledge, and specifically seek out to learn...even subjects not firearm related. I have always communicated off-forum with folks about matters, I tend to do more of that these days.

I have only met a few folks in person, I have others that know my voice. Rest of you folks are stuck reading my  typing.

Actually - I have a network of folks I am really really close to I met from TFL and THR. A family if you will. We have been thru births, deaths, life changes and 28 gauge shotguns. *smirk*

Passed on:  
Kentucky Rifle, yes I still read his posts.  
Labgrade - Labgrade is a special case for me, one I will not get into.

Moved on:
Yes I know folks have moved onto other forums, I also know some like me have another username  elsewhere.

Mistakes - oh yeah, I made them when I started out in this new medium. Truth is I still do. Life is a continual learning process. Just wish I could retract some earlier posts.

I better understand what my mentors and elders meant when they spoke of 'dimensions', I seem to be going thru a lot of these at this time of my life. Don't worry, never acted my age, don't plan on starting to act like the stereotypical place in life I am supposed to be.

Time: My time now is not my own, I am into areas of study that require a LOT of time. This semester all my classes - except one - are strictly online. Even the one class I have to be on campus for (labs) - Textbook is online, all my tests are taken online. I may have hardcopy material - I am tested on the online texts.

Personal matters - Lot of stuff going on there. I do keep tabs on mom. I have my personal stuff that hit, just going to take time to get over....still such is Life. I still find a way to pass forward.

I am not typing this from home btw, laptops and having a dial up ISP one can use anywhere in the US - is a great tool for  me. I participated in class discussions this morning, took a quizz and submitted homework.

I left my evening class to do something, "to do the right thing" you might say.  Another one of those road trips that time does not allow me to make plans to actually meet anyone. Then again - and I won't state what I am doing for security reasons.  Just like why when I was thru Knoxville and Nashville not long ago. I did call some folks ( and you can figure out who) still not a good idea to stop.

All I can say is, the Washburn Tunnel and the traffic seems to be worse...
Got to see a one of little girls that adopted me as a Uncle "back when".  Been awhile, I remember when taking the training wheels off her bike was a big deal.  I don't have to pick her up to get a hug anymore, but she still calls me her Uncle.

I'll share this trip in a story someday, but the trip is not over yet. Headed to some "old stomping grounds" on the way back. An old BBQ joint is on the agenda too.

Not sure where LawDog or Johnny G is ...or any other LEO...you see a blue truck and a tall lanky fella with a moustache behind the wheel with a good looking "niece" as passenger. We are in hurry, not just for the BBQ, folks had a need, and the need was provided. Just gotta get back and take care of a few more needs on the way back is all.  Oh..."niece" done stole my BA/UU/R button Dave sent me..."this is so cool!" Tongue

I was gonna give it to her - seems snatching it was more fun for her. Thats okay, I was able to snatch back an old Photo of me with really long moustache, ponytail, my Perazzi MX8 I had at the time, and shooting live Pigeons. Niece then was a little girl, wearing a bandana like mine, me kneeling, her standing, and holding the money I had just won. Her smiling ear to ear. Told her the winning shot was from a shell she helped me reload, that spent AA hull I later made her a Hat Pin out of . She still has it.

I ever end up in Michigan, I figure grampster , Barbara and I need to meet up. Ya'll find out where PETA is having a meeting - we will get a Meat Deli Tray sent over , and watch the stepping and fetching.

Then again if you two have a better idea on how to stir up a fuss - I'm game. Tongue

Steve

[Dang women! She stole the picture back!  Never give a women the keys to your truck Wink]

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Nostalgia
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 08:47:21 AM »
Carlyle Hebert has also passed on -- April 13, 2003.

He went by the moniker of Southla1 on TFL.

I never met the man, but I still miss the rapport we had on TFL and THR.

Common sense, humor, humility, and intellect all rolled into one package down on the bayou.

Gunslinger has also left us. He was one of the founders of Family, Friends, and Firearms. A peace officer, and a peaceful man.

Typhoon

• friend
Nostalgia
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 09:26:36 AM »
Well, I'm certainly glad to be here.  I owe Oleg and all a lot for this one and THR.
To the stars!

Iain

• friend
Nostalgia
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 09:34:01 AM »
You've all been humouring me for two years now.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

grampster

• friend
Nostalgia
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 09:54:45 AM »
Iain,

Since you changed your name, you've become more civilized.  Juuust kiddin, podnuh.Cheesy Tongue

I enjoy your British take on stuff and have fun reading your comments about things that I just don't understand, like Cricket.  Uhh, evidently Australia got their ashes hauled or some such?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Nostalgia
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 10:46:21 AM »
Ah, cricket.

The lesbian sister of baseball... Wink

Iain

• friend
Nostalgia
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2005, 11:16:47 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Ah, cricket.

The lesbian sister of baseball... Wink
I thought baseball was the lesbian sister of rounders.

Grampster - Australia definitely got their Ashes hauled. As a drunk Simon Jones (fast bowler) said in a thick Welsh accent on television - 'We done em. We really done em'.

There are two places that are home on the internet and they share a common membership.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Nostalgia
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2005, 01:47:35 PM »
Baseball players sit around in dirty uniforms, scratching themselves and chewing tobacco.

Cricket players sit around in sparkling white uniforms, eating crumpets, and drinking tea.

You tell me which is the lesbian sister of which. Cheesy

Rounders?

Everyone knows that baseball was invented, enmasse, in a pasture by Abner Doubleday in 1854 (or thereabouts) with NO British intervention at all...

STOP LAUGHING, dammit!

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Nostalgia
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 02:48:04 PM »
Quote from: sm
Actually - I have a network of folks I am really really close to I met from TFL and THR. A family if you will. We have been thru births, deaths, life changes and 28 gauge shotguns. *smirk*
Yep. Smiley  And maybe included some salsa and maybe even a secret mission or two (you won't get it outta me).

Labgrade:  I still miss Alan.  I only met him once, but I had a feeling at that time that we would be very good friends for a long long time, and then a few months later he was gone.  I really miss the banter we had on the boards.

grampster

• friend
Nostalgia
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 05:41:39 PM »
Larry, does anyone know if Labgrade's son got well and prospered after his transplant?

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Nostalgia
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2005, 05:49:46 PM »
Grampster (and everybody)

Shane got somewhat well, last I heard.  The anti-rejection medication caused severe anemia, and I think Crystal said the medicine for anemia interfered with the anti-rejection medication.

Let's say he was coping, and that was as of last November.

Art Eatman

• friend
Nostalgia
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2005, 09:16:52 AM »
Mike, on one of my runs from Terlingua to Georgia, I stopped off to spend a night with "Southla 1".  Met his wife and kids and all that.  Truly fine people, some of the best I've met.

And his lady has the damndest coonass accent I've heard in a long, long time.  Puredee pleasure to listen to. Smiley  She'd had her cell phone stolen, and she proceeded to call the guy and tell him he had fifteen minutes to return it.  She explained he was caught because phone records showed who he had called, and the cops would roust them and find him.  He whined that he lived 30 minutes awy.  I forget her final ultimatum, but she had the phone back home within the hour.  Listening to all that was a hoot, with Carlyle laughing and grinning.

The home's on a bayou running south from Lafayette.  Civil war battles there; Carlyle was finding old Minie balls from time to time.

He'd been hired back for oilfield work in Syria(?) in 2002.  Anyway, he picked up some sort of lung infection...

I really miss the guy.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Nostalgia
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005, 09:49:08 AM »
Yep, he picked up a particularly virulent form of pneumonia, IIRC. He had had it once before, and it did a lot of damage.

He kept seesawing, getting better and then falling back even farther. It got to the point where they determined that the only hope he had was a lung transplant. By that time he was too far gone, and died 3 days later.