Author Topic: House Democrats pen Bill to Enforce Heller  (Read 1938 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
House Democrats pen Bill to Enforce Heller
« on: August 04, 2008, 06:33:16 PM »
The text of HR6691, the Bill by the House Democrats to enforce the Heller decision on the District of Colombia is H.R.6691.  No surprises, really.  Its actually a bit better than the Republican version, since it allows DC residents to obtain firearms in Maryland and Virginia.  NFA stuff will still be illegal in DC, and it does not address prohibition on carrying firearms.  I call that a good start, so hopefully we can get this through Congress before the elections.

http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/2008/08/04/text-on-hr6691-available/

http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/hr6691.pdf
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: House Democrats pen Bill to Enforce Heller
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 07:21:51 PM »
I thought we wanted DC to keep bruising its shins over this, so Heller's bulldogs can keep filing suits, and getting more favorable results.  Or am I completely sideways?   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 07:24:33 PM »
DC already won't follow a Supreme Court ruling, what makes you think they will obey Congress?
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 02:34:12 AM »
I thought we wanted DC to keep bruising its shins over this, so Heller's bulldogs can keep filing suits, and getting more favorable results.  Or am I completely sideways?   

We?

I'm not at all sure which is a good idea, thus me posting this.

On one hand, as people pointed out, Heller's activities may allow us to get better and better rulings. However the disadvantage is that Heller took five years to argue to beat DC. What if the Court is less favorable by the time we get there?

On the other hand, Congress can just repeal most of D.C.'s nonsense and go home today. This allows 200,000+ people to enjoy their gun rights starting the day the law passes. The downside is that we need to argue for the RKBA elsewhere, in different venue, and may or may not succeed.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner