Author Topic: This Is Gonna Hurt  (Read 5565 times)

Leatherneck

• friend
This Is Gonna Hurt
« on: August 05, 2008, 10:58:42 AM »
Leatherness's Expedition gave her a rough ride home yesterday, described as "bumpy" or "wobbly." She called the mechanic we use and he said "Let Tom drive it and call us." No need to drive it: when I got home it was sitting there looking like a cross between a brokeback horse and a lowrider. Either that, or she had brought home a ton of bricks. Had it towed to the shop, confident that Dave could fix it--Dave can fix anything.

Dave called and said "Call Battlefield Ford and tell them your Expedition will be over this morning. I don't have a clue what's wrong with it." Oh Dear. I understand the rear suspension is torque rods and computer-controlled airbags. This ain't gonna be cheap. It's out of warranty.  angry

TC
TC
RT Refugee

yesitsloaded

• friends
Re: This Is Gonna Hurt
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 10:59:53 AM »
In some cases a custom suspension would be cheaper than new factory parts.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 11:22:27 AM »
In some cases a custom suspension would be cheaper than new factory parts.

Very true.Also,sometimes,you can downgrade from rr air suspension to a conventional(coils or leafs) type.
Good luck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 11:40:23 AM »
Airbags fail.  Not to worry.  There are aftermarket replacements that are much cheaper than the factory parts.

Or you can hope your dealer cuts you a deal on parts.  Installation doesn't take long.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 12:20:08 PM »
See - you should have just bought a 1970 Chevy CarryAll instead  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 01:30:50 PM »
Yeah, my Dodge ram pickup just has steel and shocks--no fancy airbags for my truck. No problems ever, despite overloading it regularly. There seem to be a couple of custom suspension shops in Manassas, although they appear to target off-road 4WD types. We'll see what the Ford guys say. I hope it's just airbags.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 01:33:39 PM »
I had a Lincoln with air bag suspension in the rear.  Both bags popped.  Yup. modified lowrider is an apt description.

Pep Boys would be happy to repair the problem for a mere $400 per side.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 01:54:44 PM »
Pep Boys would be happy to repair the problem for a mere $400 per side.
Ouch. Imagine what the Ford guys will want, assuming it's just the bags.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 02:19:39 PM »
It's geting so I hate cars anymore. They're too friggin complicated to work on yourself and everybody wants a fortune to fix them. Meanwhile, resale values are so far down that we owe more on ours than the damn thing is worth.  rolleyes

Sigh...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 02:24:09 PM »
I hear you, 280. I used to do all my maintenance and repairs. No Mas. They're just tools for me now. Kinda like extremely expensive guns.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 06:04:24 PM »
I hear you, 280. I used to do all my maintenance and repairs. No Mas. They're just tools for me now. Kinda like extremely expensive guns.

TC

I didn't realize Mas made a point of helping people fix their cars.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 03:33:22 AM »
Well, we got the estimate:
Here it is:
>
> 1. Air line rear air suspension broke = $265.00
>
> 2. Rear brakes need replaced = $179.00
>
> 3. Replace worn lower ball joints = $565.00
>
> 4. Front Alignment - $84.00
>
> TOTAL - $1,076.00

I love how they shop around for things over and above the proximate cause of the problem in order to run the bill up. Trouble is, all those other things are actual wear and tear items with safety implications. Things must be slow at Battlefield Ford.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 03:49:09 AM »
It's geting so I hate cars anymore. They're too friggin complicated to work on yourself and everybody wants a fortune to fix them. Meanwhile, resale values are so far down that we owe more on ours than the damn thing is worth.  rolleyes

Sigh...

one word:  HONDA.  2006 civics still resell for more/about the same as the invoice price for a new one.  Bad for buying used, great for buying new.  They really aren't that complicated compared to other cars.  I do most of my own work on them.

doc2rn

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 09:33:28 AM »
Your Expi has just been Found On Road Dead. I would get out from under it now rather than sink farther into it. Same thing once happened to me with a SAAB. I kept getting billed double because it European.

There are plenty of alternatives with solid state construction.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 09:42:42 AM »

I love how they shop around for things over and above the proximate cause of the problem in order to run the bill up. Trouble is, all those other things are actual wear and tear items with safety implications. Things must be slow at Battlefield Ford.

TC

If they notice potential safety issues such as worn brakes, they are obligated to tell you.  CYA and all.  You're free to tell them not to do any work on those things, though.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 09:50:25 AM »
So, get number 1 done.

You KNOW you need that right now.

2, 3, and 4 can wait.

My dealership used to start telling me my brakes needed to be replaced when the braking surface had only been reduced by about 50%. That made me realize that yes, garages, especially dealers, hit you with what I came to call the "Lottery Laundry List."

If they gave me a list of five YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST DO THESE THINGS RIGHT NOW TO KEEP YOUR BRAINS FROM SQUIRTING OUT YOUR BUNG!!!, I always knew that NONE of them were critical safety issues and they were hoping that I'd pick a couple of the items. If I did, they hit the Laundry List Lottery.

Hell, do the brakes yourself. It's not difficult. Even less difficult if you have Mtnbkr spraying his ass with brake cleaner.  laugh

3 you can have done at a lower price just about anywhere.

4, your call when and where.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 09:59:41 AM »
It's geting so I hate cars anymore. They're too friggin complicated to work on yourself and everybody wants a fortune to fix them.

Such is technology.

I don't think that cars are harder to work on per say, there's just a different spectrum of knowledge and tools needed.  4 barrel carburetors are pretty darn complicated, but it's not a big deal if you know what you're doing and you have the proper tools.  The same applies for electronically controlled engines.

These days, most engine management is controlled by a series of actuators, controlled by a micro controller, which uses sensors to tell what's going on.  I've found that most the electronic sensors and actuators are fairly easy to test; given the right equipment (Oscilloscope, function generator) and knowledge (basic electricity and electronics).

Yesterdays timing light is today's oscilloscope.

Meanwhile, resale values are so far down that we owe more on ours than the damn thing is worth.  rolleyes

Sigh...

Yea, isn't it great?  I just picked up (like, this past Sunday) a decent 1995 F250 for $1500; cash.  High gas prices have really made the bottom drop out of the used pickup market around here.  Never a better time to be a buyer!

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 10:50:42 AM »
Ah the good old air bags.  My mom's Expedition needed those.  Luckily it was just inside the warranty termination date.  Sometimes, when the car has been sitting in her garage for hours without being driven, the load leveling compressor will turn on and scare the crap out of everyone.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 11:16:42 AM »
Air line rear air suspension broke = $265.00

It's probably a $20 air line at NAPA, etc or else they can just make one up with fittings and press.  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 12:07:52 PM »

Hell, do the brakes yourself. It's not difficult. Even less difficult if you have Mtnbkr spraying his ass with brake cleaner.  laugh

This statement requires further exposition....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 12:28:01 PM »

Sigh...

Thou speaketh the truth.

Cripes, I miss my old Mercury Comet.  Parts were dirt cheap, I could figure out how to fix just about anything on it, and it wasn't finicky about parts either.

Newer cars (by newer, I mean '96 and up) are so complicated I have trouble finding the damned engines.... I can't imagine suspension made up of airbags replacing good old steel in a vehicle designed to haul weight...but there you have it.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 12:30:25 PM »
Phyphor, what year was your Comet?  I had a 1964 with a 289 in it for about a year.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 12:41:39 PM »

This statement requires further exposition....  grin

<sigh>

A few years ago, I offered to help Mike do a brake job on his car.  During the process, I squatted down to get a closer look and planted my rear on top of the uncapped brake parts cleaner can.  This resulted in me spritzing my arse with chlorinated solvents.

Chris

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 01:11:23 PM »
heck i figured tall pine was gonna say lift it to the level you want then just put some carriage bolts through the shocks to hold it there rolleyes
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 01:20:02 PM »
I miss my 1972 Dodge Duster with the slant 6. You opened the hood and saw nothing but open space for miles around the motor. Set the points with a matchbook cover and that's about all it ever needed.  laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!