Author Topic: Penn and Teller - Friends?  (Read 7703 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Penn and Teller - Friends?
« on: August 09, 2008, 06:38:59 PM »
I've been watching their show, bullshit.  I have to say that I agree with 90% of what they say.

Good Episodes so far:
Gun control
Peta
College 'diversity'
Patriot act

I'm watching the patriot act right now, and this line made me sit up:

"Camera's can't stop terrorists.  Weapons, civilians with weapons on the plane, would have stopped the terrorists." - referring to 9/11.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Penn and Teller - Friends?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 08:12:57 PM »
They are very pro 2A and conservative in thier thinking.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 08:16:09 PM »
I dunno, all my granola-crunching friends love 'em too.  My first exposure to Pen and Teller was when the afore-mentioned granola crunchers were all geeked about the show on circumcision. 

Show seems to be just what it purports to be: an amusing exposure of bullshit of all kinds.  That almost never a bad thing.  grin

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 08:17:17 PM »
Yes, Both are. Although I believe the quiet one (Teller ?) is the more gunny type of the two.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 07:37:24 AM »
Really, I think I get more of a libertarian leaning from them, what with them also lambasting religion, marriage, circumcision, etc...

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 07:46:37 AM »
They've stated that they're libertarian in the past.

Observe.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 07:54:35 AM »
As an aside, what is an example of a left leaning libertarian?  Maybe the South Park creators? 

IMO, a conservative is someone who leans libertarian, but I have found that "conservative" means different things to different people. 

I like the show also.  I just don't know if I will be keeping showtime much longer. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 08:27:06 AM »
The peta one was funny.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 09:33:49 AM »
Don't miss the episodes on recycling and environmental hysteria.  The segment where they get enviro-weenies to sign a petition banning Dihydrogen Monoxide is priceless.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 02:02:49 PM »
I agree with a lot of the things they do (maybe about 90%, same as the O.P.). They're a bit harsh when it comes to criticism of religion, but for the most part, they don't play 'sides' for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF2iX2VG6e4

Kind of changed my views on "patriotism" and flag-burning.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 02:07:10 PM »
They are the definition of a left-leaning libertarian. They have openly praised the religious anti-abortion movement for their methods and behavior while completely disagreeing with them. We need more atheist heathens like them in this world. cheesy
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 02:09:45 PM »
yep they are great.  Can't say I agree with their harshness to religion, but at least they are equal in their anti-religion stance and not just anti-Christian like a lot.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 02:26:03 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF2iX2VG6e4

Kind of changed my views on "patriotism" and flag-burning.

Yeah, I saw a shorter version of that bit on West Wing.  Not bad at all. 

As for the left/right/libertarian issue, I think we make a grave mistake when we think of a vast array of political and social and economic ideas and principles and ideals as some kind of linear system.  It isn't, even remotely.  I'm far left on some issues, far right on some issues, incredibly centrist on other issues.  Some of the things most people on here hold dear and also very important to acquaintances of mine who self-identify as liberal democrats. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 03:08:54 PM »
That is always what is left unsaid.  Issue by issue most people don't necessarily line up with the labels.  It also depends on how the questions are asked as there are many people who haven't thought through a lot of issues. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 03:43:54 PM »
I find their show on Showtime to be incredible funny and educational. I only wished that they would have changed the show enough so that it could be shown on regular cable. I think many people would agree with them.

I'm going to Vegas next month and will catch their show at the Rio.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 04:07:13 PM »
As for the left/right/libertarian issue, I think we make a grave mistake when we think of a vast array of political and social and economic ideas and principles and ideals as some kind of linear system.

Well, I think we realize that a bit more, what with our relative embrace of alternative political parties.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 04:13:41 PM »
One of my favorite shows.  See the ones on Conspiracy Theories, The Bible, College, in addition to those previously listed.  They're all great.

atomd

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 04:29:25 PM »
I really like Penn and Teller. I like their BS show and I enjoyed their live show at the Rio too. They are extremely pro 2A and I agree with most of what they have to say in general.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 04:34:22 PM »
Well, I think we realize that a bit more, what with our relative embrace of alternative political parties.

Yeah, I was mostly restating what is usually obvious, kind of in response to what read to me a bit like "are they with us or against us?" in the thread title.  And there is a whole lotta "We're the right!" going on from time to time, here and in other places.

Heck, I know large family of very conservative Catholics that was very liberal on most social issues and were Dems for year--until abortion became a political issue.  Within a couple of years, several family members turned completely around and embraced every single Repub. position--even those that were very much not in line with their former thinking on the subject, and the Church's teachings.  It's frustrating when people get so hung up on having the correct allegiance that they let it swamp their brains.  Folks like P&T are pretty good at avoiding that.  Trouble is, when you're a performer, your primary concern is to entertain.  As a voter, there are more complex concerns.

Washington was right...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 07:12:54 PM »
As far as their politics, Penn was on Redeye the other night and said, "We're as far right as you can go with money and as far left as you can go with sex".

Video here:

http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.html?playerId=videolandingpage&streamingFormat=FLASH&referralObject=2820013&referralPlaylistId=playlist
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 09:23:02 PM »
Penn was on Redeye the other night and said, "We're as far right as you can go with money and as far left as you can go with sex".

Video here:

I don't want to see a video of Penn going far-left with sex.  Or anywhere else with sex, thank you very much.   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 09:27:14 PM »
One of my favorite shows.  See the ones on Conspiracy Theories, The Bible, College, in addition to those previously listed.  They're all great.

Actually, the Bible episode proved that even Penn and Teller can be gullible and intellectually lazy on some issues, their clear thinking on other issues notwithstanding.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 09:43:09 PM »
Actually, the Bible episode proved that even Penn and Teller can be gullible and intellectually lazy on some issues, their clear thinking on other issues notwithstanding.

All that demonstrates is that when you know about an issue you spot their flaws. When you don't know about an issue - you don't.

A friend of mine with a physics degree read Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything and said that the book covered everything really well - except the physics.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 09:53:34 PM »
A good point, but I'm not talking about a few flaws here and there.  I'm talking about a churlish attitude, that takes a shallow view of a subject, without even considering that deeper study might completely change their point of view.  Such people tend to be uninterested in actual discussion on that topic, just invective.  They create the most absurd straw men out of their cursory study, then scoff when someone tries to "explain it away," by shedding light on the subject.

But, yeah, it's also possible that a dedicated anti-gunner might find a mistake here or there in their gun rights episode. 

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2008, 03:27:21 AM »
Yes, Both are. Although I believe the quiet one (Teller ?) is the more gunny type of the two.

Yeah it's always the quiet ones......... laugh

I like this show.  I think they are more traditional conservatives.  I think a lot of people are more conservative than they think, they just are aren't neo-cons (and neither am I).