Author Topic: Isaac Hayes Dies at 65  (Read 5268 times)

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Isaac Hayes Dies at 65
« on: August 10, 2008, 04:21:34 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/10/hayes.obit/

CNN) -- Soul singer and arranger Isaac Hayes, who won Grammy awards and an Oscar for the theme from the 1971 action film "Shaft," has died, sheriff's officials in Memphis, Tennessee, reported Sunday.

Relatives found Hayes, 65, unconscious in his home next to a still-running treadmill, said Steve Shular, a spokesman for the Shelby County Sheriff's Department.

Paramedics attempted to revive him and took him to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly after 2 p.m., the sheriff's department said.

No foul play is suspected, the agency said in a written statement.

Hayes was a longtime songwriter and arranger for Stax Records in Memphis, playing in the studio's backup band and crafting tunes for artists such as Otis Redding and Sam and Dave in the 1960s. Photo See photos of singer Isaac Hayes »

He released his first solo album in 1967, and his 1969 follow-up, "Hot Buttered Soul," became a platinum hit.

In 1971, the theme from "Shaft" topped the Billboard Hot 100 for two weeks and won an Academy Award for best original theme song. The song and the movie score also won Grammy awards for best original score and movie theme.

Hayes won a third Grammy for pop instrumental performance with the title track to his 1972 "Black Moses" album.

From the late 1990s through 2006, Hayes provided the voice of "Chef" for Comedy Central's raunchy animated series "South Park," as well as numerous songs.

The role introduced him to a new generation of fans, but he left after the show lampooned his own religion, the Church of Scientology.

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002. In a CNN interview at the time, Hayes credited his success to "adjusting and constantly evolving, expanding and trying to stay as young as I can."

Didn't agree with the guy's religious beliefs, but loved him as "Chef." Decent music, too.  sad
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

yesitsloaded

• friends
Re: Isaac Hayes Dies at 65
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 04:40:22 PM »
I hope his thetan is free  rolleyes
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 04:41:49 PM »
This has not been a good week for black entertainers....

I'm gonna miss that guy..... sad
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 04:59:23 PM »
Wow.  How unexpected..... he wasn't that much older than my father.  undecided

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 06:41:33 PM »
The jfruser UNauthorized version of "Chef!"

Chef!

Who's the black sauciee
That's a cook machine east of LA?
(Chef!)
You're damn right

Who is the man
That would sling some hash for his brother man?
(Chef!)
Can ya dig it?

Who's the cat that won't cop out
When there's bake wear all about
(Chef!)
Right on

You see this cat Chef is a bad mother--
(Shut your mouth)
But I'm talkin' about Chef
(Then we can dig it)

He's a complicated man
But no one understands him but his meat man
(Mmmm Chef)

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 06:48:54 PM »
No more chocolate salty balls.  sad

Dammit, is there anybody left alive out there?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 06:52:27 PM »
I lost a lot of respect for the man when he got all pissy about South Park taking on Scientology but never said word one when they lambasted any other religion.

Off the vinyl, over the Shaft, nothing by hypocrite.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 07:50:37 PM »
I lost a lot of respect for the man when he got all pissy about South Park taking on Scientology but never said word one when they lambasted any other religion.

Yep, same here.  I don't really care that he never stuck up for any other religion though.  To me that was more evidence that Scientology is a cult that's pervasive in Hollywood. I suspect there was pressure, either immediate or implied during their "education," that continued work on that show after their Scientology episode would be harmful to his career.  Hence, he quit.

Kinda odd that I'd probably have more respect for the man if he continued working for a show that uses Jesus and Satan as props and frequently makes fun of the Christian belief system, which I happen to prescribe to, but there it is.  I'd have liked him more if he kept poking fun at me.  Strange, that.

At any rate, I hope he's in Heaven.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 07:57:25 PM »
Don't these things usually happen in groups of three?

A very well known voice.  Right up there with James Earl Jones.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 09:19:32 PM »
I hope his thetan is free  rolleyes

Off the vinyl, over the Shaft, nothing by hypocrite.
Geez.  Remember him for the good, or not at all.   sad
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 10:35:42 PM »
He made great music in his day, "Shaft" is a monumental tune.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 02:40:12 AM »
"Geez.  Remember him for the good, or not at all."

Why?

If you remember someone only for the good, or only for the bad, you're not taking stock of the sum of them man.

I've never understood the "remember only the good things"...

The person, no matter who he is/was, wasn't a saint. To co-opt a phrase from Cromwell, "assess the whole person, warts and all."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 03:37:10 AM »

Yup, that's what they say.
And if I was James Earl Jones, I'd be very worried right now. Not saying you jinxed him, but...

R.I.P. Isaac Hayes.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 04:22:18 AM »

The person, no matter who he is/was, wasn't a saint. To co-opt a phrase from Cromwell, "assess the whole person, warts and all."

True....but no one appointed you the "Compound W applicator".....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Paragon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 04:23:46 AM »

I just read that Bernie Mac and Isaac Hayes just finished filming a movie named "Soul Men".  The only other star of the movie that's left apparently is Samuel L. Jackson.  Who here thinks his coffin will say "Bad MoFo" on it?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 04:57:02 AM »

True....but no one appointed you the "Compound W applicator".....

EVERYONE has that right.

Just because he's dead doesn't mean that he was immediately transfigured into a saint.

This "don't speak ill of the dead" is a crock of crap.

It should be "Don't bear false witness to the dead."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 10:05:35 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 12:58:03 PM »
Self-edited in the name of "decency."  angry
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 01:25:40 PM »
"Nobody asked for your negative opinion."

I don't recall anyone asking for YOUR opinion of my original post, either, so try again.

As for my thread on my dog, was Issac Hayes your pet? Did he live with you? Did you invest 10 years of your life into his well being and companionship?

Trust me, you don't want to go there if you want to stay here.

You have a very odd sense of decency that says that you can't point out a particular foible in a recently deceased individual's life as part and parcel to their entirety as a person. In other words, FOX, CNN, ABC, CBS, etc., they're all indecent, dead bashing bastards for pointing out just why Issac Hayes left South Park, right?

Did I celebrate the fact that the man is dead?

No.

But, I have to ask, what particular code line in that sense of "decency" says that one must celebrate ONLY the glory and righteousness of the recently dead, but one has free and unfettered rein to speak ill of the living?

So... just exactly how long should we wait until we can point out the dead's foibles and failings? Let's see... Issac Hayes was moderately popular, so that would be what... 6 months?

How about Bill Clinton? Wildly popular with some segments of society, not at all with others. 2 years?

Yes, I am and admin. But I have no problem with this thread. I do, however, have a problem with hypocritical crocodile tears being used as gilt as a muzzle on what an individual made of himself in life.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 03:50:18 PM »
I gotta side with Irwin on this.  It's something that has always bugged me.  I remember in high school when one of the rather mean spirited girls managed to get herself dead in a stupid-induced car accident...all of a sudden everyone was her best friend, talking about how she was such a kind, intelligent person, who loved everybody.  I wanted to vomit.  When I die, I want people to paw through my belongings, read my journals, emails, posts, and see every nuanced ounce of me, even the atrocious, ignorant, cruel parts.  The negative parts of me still make me me, and the same is true for everyone else.  Pretending otherwise is just nonsensical. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 04:56:50 PM »
Oh, and just so we're very clear on this...

I fricking LOVE the big three of soul -- Teddy Pendergast, Barry White, and Issac Hayes.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 05:06:26 PM »

I fricking LOVE the big three of soul -- Teddy Pendergast, Barry White, and Issac Hayes.

Then why so defensive?.....it's not like we're accusing you of trading in all your Hayes records for Michael Bolton CD's..... grin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 08:10:02 PM »

Then why so defensive?.....it's not like we're accusing you of trading in all your Hayes records for Michael Bolton CD's..... grin

He traded them in for Barry Manilow. laugh
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 05:58:39 AM »
"Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl..."

Crap.

Now I have that song stickied on my brain.

Sawdust (music and passion were always in fashion at the Cooooooooooopaaaaaaaaaaa)
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 07:24:27 AM »
When I was a kid (3-4 YO) I thought Manilow's name was pronounced "Carey Cantaloupe."

Nothing else to add.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton